“Good location...Good value!”

Ranked #53 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
U.K.
“Good location...Good value!”
Reviewed 27 February 2011

Booked this hotel as colleagues had stayed here on previous visits to DC and i stayed at the Helix across the road. i have stayed in other hotels in Dc too. Didn't book the helix this time as it was too expensive. This hotel isn't anything special but it is walking distance to the Convention Centre (15 mins) and all the other tourist attractions are reasonably close too. Check in was easy and we were given vouchers for the breakfast buffet which was a good fresh buffet. The room was big with a good size bed and was well maintained and cleaned every day. No complaints.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Yarmouthport, MA
Reviewed 24 February 2011

This hotel is a good value for the business traveler. Clean, good location, friendly staff, adequate rooms, and free wi-fi. Amenities are appropriate given the price tag. Don't hesitate to book into this hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 February 2011

Our stay at this hotel was wonderfu! We arrived late at night and the front desk clerk was exceptionally helpful and friendly during check-in. Our check-in was effortless and quick, which is a plus for weary travelers. Our room was nice, clean, and spacious with extremely comfortable beds. The bathroom was aesthetically pleasing with modern countertops, excellent lighting, and it was spacious enough that one could get ready without feeling confined. The additional sink with a mirror outside the bathroom was a great amenity.

The hotel has a friendly staff as everywhere we went we were greeted and welcomed to the hotel. John and Johnny at the front desk were always accommodating in ensuring that we were comfortable within the hotel and had adequate directions any time we ventured into the city. Each time we entered the hotel we were greeted and asked how our day was. Their line of communication was so open that I would never hesitate to ask them for anything, knowing that they would do everything they could to ensure that our stay was enjoyable.

This hotel is also conveniently located within walking distance of the metro and numerous tourist sites, including the White House. The surrounding area is nice and somewhat residential which makes the walks to the many stores and restaurants in the vicinity even more pleasant. Nearby is a supermarket, Starbucks, shopping, trendy cafés, and incredible restaurants. Two of my favorite restaurants I discovered were Agora and Café Luna, both of which are within walking distance near Dupont Circle.

Thank you to everyone who made our first visit to the D.C. area an incredibly wonderful and memorable one. We will definitely return and I would love to stay in this hotel again. :)

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
washington dc
Reviewed 11 February 2011

I travel to DC a few times a month and usually stay in the Embassy Suites on 10th St. In an attempt to save my company a few bucks, however, I thought I'd give the Rhode Island Ave Holiday Inn a try. It's a mistake I won't make again. Things started off poorly when they put me in a double smoking room on Floor 2, despite my reservation for a king nonsmoking. The (too-soft) beds weren't a dealbreaker, but the smoking was, so they switched my rooms (and I moved my own stuff; they didn't send a porter to help - though they might have if I had specifically requested one). The furnishings and decor are very 1980's, and some of the towels had noticeable threads hanging and needed replacement. The bathrooms are very small - you literally have to stand in between the toilet and counter in order to shut the door - and are missing some standard amenities (what modern hotel doesn't provide conditioner??). The phones are grimy, the free wi-fi doesn't really work, and housekeeping starts at 8:15 am, which seems at least an hour too early. But other than the phone, things generally seemed clean, so they get a star for that. And the location, while about five blocks from the Metro, is very close to the excellent restaurants and the Whole Foods on P St, so another star for that. But on the whole, the place feels a bit seedy and I wouldn't stay here again. If you're traveling on your own dime, go to Pr*celine for a much better hotel at a much lower price.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank kbn22
Springfield, VA
Reviewed 2 February 2011

Stayed one night. The front desk staff was courteous and professional. Had to switch room because the 1st "non-smoking" room had been smoked in. The staff did so with no problem and no complaints. The second room was fine other than a little funky smell when the heat turned on that did dissippate. The bed is comfortable and even in the room by the elevators I had no noise problems.

My biggest complaints were the "gift shop" is a little underwhelming and the bathroom is REALLY small. The parking garage is also hard to find and difficult to maneuver.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 January 2011

Front desk staff greets you with big fat smile on their faces and it is just makes you feel like you are home! Everyone was easily accessible general manager himself asked me personally if everything was fine during my stay. There is no question in my mind that I am staying at holiday inn central in Washington DC during my next trip. Thanks to you guys for giving me the opportunity to express my feelings.

• Stayed January 2011
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 8 January 2011

My family and I were very disappointed in the quality of service we received at this hotel. When asking for directions to the White House, the front desk agent (which was one of the managers) pointed to the end of the lobby and said “gift shop.” We went into the gift shop and asked the lady behind the register for directions. In the middle of giving us directions her personal cell phone began to ring and instead of turning it off, she answered it! I was shocked that she would answer while she was helping a guest! No one, in any profession would answer their cell phone while dealing with a customer! No employee seemed very enthusiastic about their position. In hospitality, the guest NEEDS to be number one. My family is not high maintenance and we are not complainers so to be writing this review with very negative remarks is rare. This hotel has left me with a very bad impression and I will look elsewhere for my accommodations if I return to the D.C. area.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
HotelManager1501, Manager at Holiday Inn Washington DC-Central/White House, responded to this review, 18 January 2011
Dear Adventure789,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the problems you encountered.

It is not our practice to send our guests to the gift shop for directions, however, the Managers at the front desk will be counseled about the information you have relayed.

The gift shop is not operated by the hotel and leased to an outside company. Nonetheless, we will speak to them and follow up on the issues you have noted to make sure this does not reoccur.

To more effectively address the concerns you have raised with the specific staff members involved, we would like to speak with you further to get additional information. At your convenence, please call the General Manager or Assistant General Manager at 1-800-248-0016.

Barbie Stedman