“Expensive and noisy”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This hotel has several advantages, like being near major attractions and having large rooms. However, the air condition is VERY noisy and if you stay in a back room and try opening your windows you will be faced with an ugly surprise: the view is of an industrial yard that produces even more noise. Don't stay there if you suffer from your back-the beds are much too soft.

Room Tip: Ask for a front room at a high floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

It appears that our hotel was in a great location for your visiting needs, however, it appears that you had a few issues during your stay. I hope that you reported your air conditioning and soft bed issues to our front desk. If we had rooms available, we certainly could have moved you to another room. Hopefully, one to your liking, with a firmer bed and quieter.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,660)

Reviewed 6 May 2012

Excellent and obviously recently refurbished hotel. The staff were very helpful and the rooms were spacious and clean. It is sooooo centrally located, with the air & space museum only 5 mins walk away, capital hill 15mins, metro 5 mins and the shuttle bus to Dulles airport 5 mins(to Hazy museum if you loved the air & space museum - is a must!). Also, the head office of NASA is around the corner (hidden of course) and a supermarket 15 mins walk away. For dinner at night it is a little isolated, but we could eat in the restaurant - it had fancy as well as plain type food. The food was excellent and kids ate free! Take-away was also an option.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank annette m
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel. We think we have a great location to see all the wonderful things Washington, DC has to offer. Hopefully, when you and your family return to this area, you will chose our hotel again.

Reviewed 5 May 2012

I was very disappointed in the quality of the rooms. The rooms are very old & worn. The beds are uncomfortable. The nightly rate was $299, pls tax, pls $40/day for parking. The restaurant offered a delicious breakfast (at $14.95pp). This was a business trip. I've never paid $300/nt for such poor accommodations. If you're willing to spend for the convenience of location, DON'T SPEND IT HERE--for the price, this place is a DUMP. The cleaning staff woke us up at 6:30am to deliver our bill! (what happened to sliding it under the door?) they woke us up 3 MORE TIMES after that!! They simply would not go away! The ONLY thing I paid for was location. I will not go back again unless every other hotel in DC burns down.

Stayed: May 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I appreciate your candor and I am sorry that this stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to make you aware of our exciting renovations we have beginning this year. We are planning a bathroom renovation starting the end of 2012 and a major guestroom and hallway renovation in 2013.

Reviewed 3 May 2012

The rooms were as advertised, well appointed, and clean. We found ourselves in the back on the second floor with a view of a concrete wall, driveway, and railroad track so would request a higher floor. The inhouse resturant was just OK with better choices available across the mall. The hotel is close to many of the museums on the mall and tours leave from the front door. The staff was friendly, and we learned so much about our Capitol, history, and the people that helped create our great country.

Room Tip: Rooms on "C Street" or away from the railroad tracks would be quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2012

our first stay in june 2011 was cut short when my wife injured her back. that was on our first day she tried to walk to visit a few things but pain was to bad. we checked out two days ahead of time so I could get her to her doctor for care (12 hour from home). explained that to desk clerk and still charged to leave before check out. could be little more flexible with the rules here. will return in june 2012 to visit the locations we were unable to before, only spent the one night but no problems.

Room Tip: ask for room on 'c' street side, at least thats what was told me for my next stay to have be...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family

I'm so sorry your wife hurt her back and you had to leave last year. I'm glad you are coming back to DC and staying with us again. Please contact the hotel and ask for me the General Manager at 202-479-4000. I would like to make sure we get your room blocked accordingly. See you soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed 28 April 2012

I'm in the hotel right now and have been here 4 nights. I was surprised when I checked in because I'll be here for 10 nights they told me that if I checked out early I'd have a $100 fee. I've spent more nights in hotels than I care to. This hotel is average to worn condition, but the people are friendly and it's within walking distance of the Capitol and the National Mall. L'enfant Plaza Metro Station is a block away I always get turned around in there and never know which exit to take. There's a nice Safeway one metro stop away at Waterfront, and there's a CVS Pharmacy very close by, a Quiznos, and a McDonalds. I haven't tried the restaurant in the hotel. The bar was really loud on Wednesday and it's right there in the lobby. When I arrived there were a lot of people in power wheelchairs - I spoke to their group leader or guide - he said they were there to support disabled people living on their own and to not be forced into care facilities or something like that. This group seemed to be doing okay with this hotel. I washed a load of jeans that I bought at Macy's Metro Center and the laundry room is decently equipped but a few of the machines were out of order. The concierge desk guy is probably in the wrong job and the reason I say that is he's not really talkative. The gift shop is a packed little store and a little odd to navigate through. The business center is well equipped, and it was busy Friday afternoon with people checking in online and printing boarding passes. The room is worn, the desk chair has the arm covering peeled off on the left arm, and the furniture is ding'd and scratched and old. The TV is nice, the satellite service messes up sometimes but that may have been the weather. I have a courtyard view which is quiet. The shower has a good flow and the water temp is steady. The bed is very comfortable. The rooms heat and A/C unit is right next to the desk which makes it uncomfortable to work at the desk. The rooms ethernet cable connecton didn't work so I'm left to use the unsecured wireless connection which I'm uncomfortable about. I called their internet support and they worked with me a lot about the internet connection and they came to the conclusion that the modem is bad, but I haven't asked the front desk about it yet. Unsecured wireless is not good - I was just briefed at work about how bad it is to use unsecured wireless. The room has a small fridge which is convenient for cold drinks and left overs. Overall it's a decent place for the price, but if you're a picky person there's a lot you could complain about if you choose to.

Room Tip: Courtyard view
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

What a thorough write up about our hotel! I hope while you were here you talked to the front desk about a new modem. I'm sorry you had issues with the one in your room. I would also like to share with you some exciting information about our upcoming renovation projects. This November, we start renovating all 532 of our guest bathrooms; new flooring, vinyl, shower stalls in king rooms, new tubs in doubles, lighting, mirrors, faucets, etc. Starting in the fall of 2013, we will begin our guestroom and hallway phase of our renovation. Over the course of the next two years, we will have an entirely different look.

Reviewed 26 April 2012 via mobile

Hotel is in a great location for DC. However don't even bother with the onsite restaurant, expensive for what it is. use Starbucks for breakfast, better value.

The rooms are tired and worn...The near 1 cm gap between the bottom of the room door and the floor not only let's in light from the corridor but also noise from other guests. There is no sound proofing as you can hear the other guests using the bathroom facilities! Also we weren't on the train tracks but still sounded as if the trains were coming through the room.

Ideals location if you can handle the noise! Beds were comfy though!

• Stayed: April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear PeterSimms,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are glad you liked the hotel location as well as your sleep accommodations. We are very sorry for any inconvenience the outside noise caused you. We are also very sorry our breakfast options fell below your expectations. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We know you have many choices when it comes to lodging and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG.

Jaime W