“Central location, expensive parking” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #82 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Taiyuan, China
“Central location, expensive parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I stayed in this hotel for one night, and was quite pleased. It is a full-service type of hotel, so not as many freebies as some options, but at least the internet in the rooms is free.

The lobby was busy, and not especially attractive, but there are some outside seating areas.

I opted for a room with a double bed, since I was alone and get tired of rooms where a huge bed takes up most of the room. This turned out well, as I got a very nice corner room with large windows on both walls. It was a small room, but spacious enough. I found the room to be more classic than dated. The TV was flat panel. Amenities included fridge, coffee maker (4-cup with glass pot that could have been cleaner), iron and ironing board. Pretty much everything that would be expected (no microwave).

The bed was comfortable with a choice of firm and soft pillows. I appreciate that disposable cups (instead of glass) and comforters with washable sheets (instead of bedspreads and blankets) now appear to be the norm. The one drawback was that the aircon was directed to blow directly over the bed. The hotel seemed full, but the room was very quiet.

I found the front desk staff to be polite and efficient. They also helped me out with a minor issue that wasn't really there problem, so that was much appreciated.

Parking costs a small fortune, though is good until 5 PM on the day of check-out. This reduces the value of the hotel somewhat, and means it is best for shorter stays or for guests who will not need to park. It is in-out parking.

The location is very convenient to the Mall and Metro. A drawback for tourists is the lack of restaurants nearby. Most are fast food, and many close in the evening. Of course the hotel has a restaurant, and there are some other options near the river several blocks away. Otherwise, dining is likely to require a trip on the Metro, so the location is not perfect, even though it is in the heart of the city.

This is a good choice if you have early morning business nearby, or for tourists who would like to return to their room during the day. Those who want to stay in an area with nightlife will prefer Dupont Circle, and hard-core tourists can save money by staying further out and using the Metro.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are nice, if they have the right beds for your needs.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank travellevret
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review of our hotel and location. I'm glad you enjoyed your corner room and the amenities. Our location is definitely a plus for those that are here for business or here to visit the numerous Smithsonian Museums and National Monuments. If you come to DC for the night life, then you are correct, there are probably other hotels that would meet those needs better. However, within 2 METRO stops, there are a variety of restaurants and live entertainment establishments that are easy to get to from our location.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (535)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Douglasville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol during this past Memorial Day weekend (2012). It is in such a great location that we were able to walk around & see all of the popular tourist attractions. No cab was needed--except to get us to and from the Ronald Reagan Airport!
The staff was very friendly and attentive & we had a great view of the US Dept of Education building. We had a great time!!

Room Tip: Book early & ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SandyB0528
It sounds as if you and your husband had a great time in Washington, DC and at our hotel. Thank you for commenting on Trip Advisor.
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2012 via mobile

Comfortable, clean room. Free internet, which is always a big plus when I decide on a hotel. Overall good value!

Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel.
Tallahassee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Convenient to the Mall, Smithsonian Museums and the Capitol. Room was clean, staff was helpful. Good restaurant and nice bar and grille for after hours. Metro was 1 block away. We took cabs to dinner at night to give ourselves a break from so much walking during the day. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: No king available when we checked in, but the next day we went down to the desk and they were happy...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T N
We appreciate you commenting on our hotel, our location, our food and beverage outlets and the fact that you will return in the future. We look forward to having you.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

While the accommodation and staff were good. Our memories of staying at this hotel have been tarnished. We prepaid accommodation with travel agent and on presentation of voucher for family of 4, were given a conjoined room.

Horror when TWO months later when we noticed our bank statement had monies taken out of our credit card without authorisation or notice. Apparently the hotel decided we owed them for the "second room" THEY gave us. Our bank is pursuing this but I would warn anyone wanting to stay here - use a limited credit card or one that you'll close off asap. To hotel management, change your policies or pursue this matter as your PR is appalling!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Cate N
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
We truly appreciate all comments from guests who have stayed with us. I'm sorry about your experience. Unfortunately, I can not look into this without having further information. Please contact me at 202-479-4000 and ask for me, the General Manager. I will also forward you my direct e-mail address through Trip Advisor.
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Holiday Inn last week for four nights while we were in DC for a series of events. The hotel was, as others have said, ideally located if you are interested in doing things in and around the Capitol. It was about a 10 minute walk to the Capitol. The L'Enfant Plaza metro station is one block away and quite convenient as well.

The room was nice. Fairly large and in good condition, although there was some wallpaper peeling in the bathroom (but I noticed in one of the other reviewer's responses that they are getting ready to do bathroom updates, so that should take care of that). The in-room refrigerator was great. In fact, it was the coldest we have ever had!

There is plenty of food within a short walk of the hotel, as well as a CVS pharmacy basically right next door. Unlike a previous reviewer, we didn't have any problem at all parking in front of the hotel to check in, and a bellman was happy to help us with our luggage, so that wasn't an issue either.

We put out the "Do Not Disturb" sign each night and no one pounded on our door like others have reported. We also requested a courtyard room, as suggested by other reviewers, and that turned out really well. The room location was VERY quiet, which we greatly appreciated.

We didn't check out early, but I did notice a "$100 fee for early checkout" notation on the paperwork they had us sign at check-in...

Thanks for all of the advice, TripAdvisor!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room if you don't like the noise from the trains!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank MisterDee
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
It sounds as if you and your wife had a good trip to DC. I appreciate you taking the time to comment on our hotel and to previous comments you have read on Trip Advisor.
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

This Holiday Inn is in a great location, off the beaten path. It is across from the U.S. Department of Education, five blocks from Pennsylvania Avenue, and very close to many popular tourist attractions. It is about a 10 minute walk to the Capitol building. I was a female traveling alone and felt very safe at this location.

There is a Starbucks on the corner and a CVS Pharmacy a half block away. The hotel is surrounded by office buildings so it is very quiet at night. The staff was very friendly and the room was nice. I appreciated the in-room refrigerator.

I ate dinner at the hotel's Capitol Bistro one night. The food was OK, but the dining room was very noisy. A large group of school kids was eating dinner at the same time and I was seated right next to their table. I am not sure why because the rest of the dining room was completely open. There are an endless number of restaurants at which to dine in DC. I would recommend venturing out of the hotel.

Taxis are readily available right at the front entrance.

I had only one concern with this hotel. I did not see any signs of it being eco-friendly. No recycling cans were available and there was no way to indicate that I did not want fresh sheets and/or towels every day. So, I carried my empty plastic water bottles to an outside recycling bin located near the hotel. I also posted the "do not disturb" sign on my door to keep housekeeping from replacing barely used sheets and towels during my stay.

I would stay here again.

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mcyclebabe
Thank you for commenting on our hotel's location and staff. I also see that we need to do a better job of letting our guests know about our recycling efforts. On each floor in the vending area, we have recycle bins for newspapers, plastics, cans and bottles. In addition, we recycle all of our cardboard and frying oil in the hotel. Over the last few years, we have also changed out all of our light bulbs, to the more energy efficient bulbs. We have tried to make changes and will continue to make changes to be more green.