“Tired and crowded”

Ranked #82 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
cornwall
“Tired and crowded”
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Granted, we chose the 'wrong' weekend to be in DC - the week after Easter and the end of Spring Break .. but I suspect that, despite the crowded hotel, some of my observations will remain long after the vacationers go home. This Holiday Inn is tired and in need of a revamp. The rooms are fine and clean, but the restaurant is sad and poorly managed. Long queues for breakfast; an indifferent manager; and the food uninspiring (except for the breakfast buffet which is fantastic!) The bar - Amendment 21 - was loud and uncomfortable. The best things about this hotel are its location and its staff. With the exception of the restaurant manager, everyone from reception to the guy sweeping the floor, was unfailingly welcoming and polite. I'd probably choose another hotel if I stayed in DC again - and I'm a Gold Priority Club member.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
We truly appreciate all comments from guests who have stayed with us. I'm sorry your stay with us was less than what you expected. We have a major renovation scheduled starting in November that I'm very excited about, that will be very modern and stylish. I'm very interested in talking with you further about what you experienced in our restaurant. If you wouldn't mind spending a few minutes talking to me, I would appreciate you contacting the hotel at 202-479-4000 and asking for me, the General Manager. We really appreciate our Priority Club members and know that as a Gold member your loyalty to IHG is not to be taken lightly. I sincerely hope you will give us another try in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 19 April 2013

If you plan on only using your hotel to sleep...this is the perfect place! It is SOOOOO close to the air and space museum and everything else! There are cabs out front to take you anywhere you want if you get sick of walking.

Hotel lobby is beautiful, but rest of hotel is a bit out-dated. We stayed in a 2 room suite and it worked out well for us since we were out all day every day. The bed was super comfy and sheets and pillows perfect. Wallpaper peeling, carpet "bubbled" up from ground, noisy air conditioner, finding previous occupants garbage under the sink, maids cleaning towels left in the room, old towels left of hooks...all were overlooked when compared to the price we paid and the proximity to everything!

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone who just needs a place to sleep between busy days of sight seeing!

Also, it is right by where all the food trucks stop on weekday lunches!

Room Tip: 2 room suites are HUGE!!!!
1 Thank aaaaaaap
Thank you for recommending our hotel. I'm sorry you had the issues you experienced in your suite. We should have done a better job servicing it. I hope you will return and visit us again, especially after our renovation this fall.
Sydney, Australia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,549 helpful votes
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Let me start by saying a good Hotel is made up of many combinations of things that come together to create a good experience. I am. Platinum Ambassador in the IHG loyalty program, and as an Ambassador I am loathed to say anything negative about an IHG property and will tend to take a Diplomatic approach.

So if you read the reviews below you will see some negative points that are certainly true, but to start with the staff were all very friendly, efficient, and dealt with all my enquiries fast and to their very best ability, you got a real sense that it mattered, that I was listened to and they reacted politely and positively. Scott handle our check in and as a Ambassador I was upgraded to a suite, and the staff on the front desk sent up a lovely fruit plate, with a card which they all signed, a very nice touch.

Yes the Hotel was built 60 years ago and the furniture looks like its straight from a TV show set Mad Men, but I love this show and the nostalgia is a wonderful experience, and most importantly the rooms are very clean and whilst may look tired they are lovingly looked after, by a very efficient housekeeping staff, who are very helpful and always saying good morning with a smile. In November this the Hotel is going through a major refurbishment and modernization program, so next year these rooms will be history just like the current decor is.

Yes the rooms at the back of the hotel are on a train line, with goods trains through the night, but ear plugs or noise canceling headsets will resolve this. If this is not an option then be sure to request a front facing room, when you book. The wifi is an issue, I blame Verison more than the hotel for that, but they have a great business centre. If you drag a chair out into the hall way you will get great reception and meet a few people whilst there, which was in hind sight a good way to get a feel of the place.

The hotel is in walking distance to most of the the museums such as the Smithsonian museums and the monuments which is great. It was 5 minutes from the metro which can be used for Reagan airport. Overall very convenient. There's a Starbucks in the hotel, two very well located and convenient restaurants and a McDonalds on the other block with a CVS which has a large range of grocery items as well as the usual pharmacy stuff, plenty of items if you wanted to make something to eat in your room.

All in all this is a good hotel, with very courteous staff, with very clean but only somewhat rundown rooms and excellent location to attractions make it good.
This year in June 2013 the Priority Rewards club gets a revamp, a new name and new benefits, with some better reward opportunities and will be called the IHG Rewards Club. So look out for those exciting changes. As an IHG Platinum Ambassador, I can recommend this Hotel Highly and the rewards program.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper and going to stay at this hotel - make sure you ask for a room that is no...
3 Thank VangeInternational
I want to thank you for your review but more importantly, for being such an advoccate of IHG and the IHG Rewards Program. We appreciate your support of our brand and our hotel here in Washington, DC.
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This hotel is in a great location for holiday visitors - easy walking distance to the Mall and Museums. The hotel however was extremely disappointing. The first thing we noticed when we walked in to our room was there was a big iron burn scorched into the carpet and the carpet was wet in parts. The curtains were grotty and broken, hanging off the window in places and the room was very old and tired looking. The hot water was luke warm at best and the air conditioning so noisy at times we had to turn it off. I had a large bottle of expensive body lotion taken from the room on our last day and when I contacted the staff about it I was told I must have been mistaken. They were rude and unhelpful and didn't back to me until I raised the matter agin on checkout. I was then told someone would go with me to buy a bottle from a local pharmacy. This was not satisfactory as I would have missed our flight. The staff member was extremely rude and arrogant and told me there was nothing she could do. I would never stay at this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone despite its great location.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 914LindaM914
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
We truly appreciate all comments from guests who have stayed with us. I'm sorry your stay with us was less than what you expected. I wish you would have asked for me or the Assistant General Manager during your stay so we could have addressed the issues you mentioned. I believe our hotel is better than what you experienced and I would be very interested in talking with you further. If you wouldn't mind spending a few minutes talking to me, I would appreciate you contacting the hotel at 202-479-4000 and asking for me, the General Manager.
gainesville florida
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Thank you Holiday inn Washington D.C. This was a very clean and GREAT stay. Check in was easy, we had a small problem with our reservations, but the front desk was happy to get us right into the room and make us feel welcomed. Rooms were the cleanest I have ever seen...Thank you to our sweet maid on the 6th floor, I think it was Marie. We were along way from home but when we entered the Inn we felt at home. Please stay here...its the best in town!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for such a wonderful review of our hotel. I just forwarded your comments to all of our employees. We take pride in our employees and in our hotel. Again, I truly appreciate your comments and I hope you will visit us again.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 9 April 2013

First, I don't want anyone to be turned off by the average rating. This is a pretty large hotel that does a lot of business. I was in Washington DC for business and where I need to be everyday during my stay was right across the street from the hotel...very convenient. The rooms are nice but a little worn and older. They are clean, but as I mentioned you can tell they get a lot of wear and tear.

My biggest negative on this hotel was the bar/lounge and restaurant. Very slow and bad customer service. I'd recommended taking a nice walk at night to get a decent meal...trust me it's worth the trip. The lounge/bar does have live jazz during the week, so that was a welcome sight for me.

Also, if you stay at this hotel be advised that there is a train that comes through early in the morning almost like clockwork around 6am. Very annoying, but I used it for my alarm clock because it was so predictable on its arrival time.

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the train tracks....you'll be sorry if you don't especially if...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Trey97225
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
We appreciate you staying with us during your business trip to this area. I also really appreciate you reviewing us. I have forwarded your comments about our food outlets to our Food & Beverage Director. Service is very important to us and it sounds as if we have some opportunity to improve in the areas you mentioned.
Salzburg
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn mainly because we had half a day in DC and were looking for a convenient hotel for sightseeing. Good choice. It is an older Holiday Inn property but clean and spacious. Restaurant was nothing special but OK and the room rates were very OK compared to other hotels. It is close the the Capital and various museums, but there are no outside dining options nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarlMoosbrugger
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
We understand you have many options for lodging when you visit Washington, DC. We appreciate you staying with us. Please visit us again.