“Best hotel staff ever!”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #84 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My 6 year old son and I traveled to DC for his birthday and I have to say that our experience at this hotel was one of the best experiences we have ever had. The front desk staff is phenomenal and went out of their way to make sure that we had everything we needed and to make sure my son felt special for his birthday. I will recommend this place to EVERYONE and this will be the place we stay from now on whenever we come to DC.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

I'm so glad we made your son's birthday special and that you had a good time both with us and in the city. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to you visiting us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,648)

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I would definitely recommend this hotel. If you're a tourist looking to see the sights of DC, this place is great. Walking distance to the mall (through or around the Air and Space Museum). Metro station is also nearby. Room was clean and served it's purpose well (we were out all day so we just needed a clean bed and nice bathroom).

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Thank you for staying with us and recommending our hotel to others. You are correct, our location is great; only one block from the National Air & Space Museum and the National Mall.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My friend and I are from Massachusetts. We were bored one weekend in November, and decided to up and leave for DC. We chose this hotel for the location and value. From the time we stepped in the lobby door, until we left a few days later, our stay was nothing short of fantastic. Our room was immaculate. The folks at the front desk were friendly, and attentive. It may not be close to where the action and restaurants are on 7th Street, but they are only about a 15 minute walk straight up the street from the hotel. Also, there is a McDonald's and a couple of other fast food type places on the same block as the hotel. There is a Starbucks inside of the hotel. All of Starbucks in the city close around 7 PM...I found that curious. The trade is that the mall is practically right outside the front door. We were a hop, skip, and a jump from many of the major attractions. Holiday Inn Washington-Capitol help to make our stay in DC both enjoyable and memorable. We will stay here whenever we return, and we plan to do so frequently. One word to the wise. When I made out reservation, I was sure to reserve a room on the opposite side of the rail yard. We didn't hear a thing. I suggest that you do the same.

Room Tip: Reserve a room away from the train yard.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ChrisRick01

Thank you for staying with us and your great review of our hotel. I appreciate you letting others know how close we are to many of the museums and monuments in Washington, DC. I hope you will return and visit us again.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

If all you need is just a clean place to sleep for a night and willing to spend 120 plus dollars on it, go for it. Parking is charged extra and the hotel has seen its better days. I surely the missed the pool.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

We are undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation. All of our guestrooms, bathrooms and hallways will be completely new and modern. In addition, we are renovating our meeting space, business center and numerous other areas in our public space. I hope you will visit us again and see the changes.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Why waste your money staying at this hotel! Sure it has a good location near the Smithsonian Museums, underground parking, and a great buffet breakfast but that does not makeup for all of the problems. There is a reason that there is a $100 penalty for early checkout at this hotel...we where not in our room for 5 minutes before I went down to the front desk and requested another room because of the construction noise on the entire fourth floor...and you could still hear the construction noise (10 AM to 5 PM) on the ninth floor. I understand the renovation work because basically the decor of the rooms is 1970s or 1980s and really the rooms are not that clean or properly maintained. But what concerned me the most was the non-disclosure of the construction...for example it was not disclosed in any of the e-mail communications, not at check-in, and not even a sign on the check-in counter...basically when I went back to change my room I was told that it was posted on the hotel website. The reason I choose this hotel is because of the underground parking which is difficult because you have to park between all of the piers in the in the parking garage and the parking spaces near the elevators are the most difficult because you back out a 100 yards while turning corners trying not to back into any piers or parked cars. Also the elevator security where you insert your room card to access the guest rooms is not working so anyone can access all of the guest floors...and we received several takeout menus from local Chinese restaurants under our door at night and later a delivery of Chinese food to our room...and there is no room safe for your valuables. If that is not enough there is no WIFI reception on the ninth floor so you have to go down to the lobby and use the Business Office for your internet access which was also the playground for the children staying at the hotel. I almost forgot if you are interested in sleep quality request a room that is away from the side of the hotel that faces the regional train...and yes you can hear it all the way up to the ninth floor and it is louder than the construction noise. This is my first stay at a Holiday Inn in a long time and it will be my last stay at a Holiday Inn for a long time.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Kurt5280

We appreciate all of our guest comments. We are indeed in the process of renovating the hotel. We are excited to have everything in the guestrooms and bathrooms brand new by the end of March. We picked the winter months to complete the work because it is our least busiest times. We have tried to minimize any impact the renovation might cause on our guests. We have posted it on our website and also have a huge banner and color board of the changes in the lobby near the front desk. I'm sorry the staff did not mention any of this upon check-in. I truly hope you would visit us again after March. I think you would be quite pleased with the changes.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Right from check in this hotel was pleasant for us. The rooms were ok, nothing exciting but then most of the time on holidays, provided the bed is comfy and the room clean you can't complain as you're barely in your room for anything other than sleep!

The location was great for getting around DC. All museums and monuments plus tours are easily accessible. I enjoyed heading out for a morning run a couple of times and it was perfect to run around the national mall from here. Metro lines are close by which was helpful when getting to downtown DC.

Overall, friendly staff when you need them, great location, some good food places close by and the Starbucks attached to the Hotel was fantastic for a morning coffee!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Matt C
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

We appreciate you staying with us and your review. We hope you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

There's nothing special about the hotel itself: it's a Holiday Inn, just like all the others. Its rooms are clean, the staff are friendly and helpful, and the food served in its Bar and Grill (delightfully named "The 21st Amendment") is what one would expect - not exactly gourmet, but perfectly adequate, to keep body and soul together while tramping the Mall.
The location, however, is nothing short of amazing. The hotel is about a block from the National Air and Space Museum, and there's a Metro stop (L'Enfant Plaza) right across the road. Better still, the Mall is only a short walk. This hotel is a perfect place to use as a base, if you want to see the DC Museums and Monuments.
There are some downsides to this location, though. The hotel is surrounded by government offices, there seems to be a lack of restaurants in the vicinity, and the whole area goes to sleep after five pm. There is an underground car park beneath the hotel, but overnight parking is relatively expensive ($35). Sounds astronomical, but compares reasonably with the cost of parking for 24 hours in the middle of any major city. If you leave your car at home, and visit Washington DC by train, this problem shouldn't arise.
We were just passing through on the way to somewhere else, and stayed only one night. However, the convenient location meant that we had enough time to walk the Mall, see the Christmas lights, and spend some of the following day in the National Air and Space Museum. Not nearly enough time to see everything, but enough to whet our appetite. We'll be back, and there's a good chance that we'll stay in the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Hans_Sachs

Thank you for staying with us and your review. I appreciate your comments about our location, cleanliness, staff and bar. I do hope you will return in the future. We are currently undergoing a major renovation and I think you will be quite pleased with the changes.