“Meh. It's close to the National Mall.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Houston, Texas
“Meh. It's close to the National Mall.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

An old hotel that needs some work. The staff was nice. This hotel seemed to be the choice of a few very large church/school groups for the annual March for Life, so the lobby was often very crowded. Overall it's perfect for the amount you pay and very conveniently located for visiting national museums, especially the Smithsonian Air & Space.

Room Tip: Ensure your room is not adjacent to a stairwell. Many people seemed to use the one we were next to a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bryceanelson
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I wanted to just share with you that we are undergoing a major renovation of our guestrooms, bathrooms and hallways. Our new look is both modern and elegant. I hope you will visit us again and check out the changes. We are very excited about our new look.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I wanted a hotel near the National Mall and access to the subway nearby and these had both.
Short walking distance to the Air and Space Museum. Checkin was slow but there were a lot of people arriving the same time we did. Room was average and the bed was comfortable.
Our room overlooked the street and train station. We did hear the train whistle / horn in the morning from a commuter train ... but I like trains so this didn't bother me. There is a Starbucks, McDonalds and CVS nearby and the hotel has a restaurant and quick counter deli/ shop. The hotel has underground parking. We brought our bicycles and we rode them out of the underground garage, it was a very short ride to the national mall. The hotel has a pool on the roof. We didn't use it but take time to go up, at least for the view.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I appreciate your comments about our hotel and location. Sounds as if you had a busy time while you were here visiting the museums and monuments in DC. It is a great city to bike around. I'm a biker and it is a great way to not only get around, but to see so many more sites. I appreciate you choosing our hotel for your visit. If you are ever back in our city, we would enjoy having you back.
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Recently, I wrote a review for the Holiday Inn in D.C., The manager saw that I had many concerns about my stay; Just wanted to say thank you to that manager SASwain, for making it right. I was inpress on the quickness she responded to my post. There really do care about your stay there and try to do everything in their power to make things right.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your follow up note. We try to ensure all of our guests have a good stay and we do care.
Northern NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed on second floor and was apprehensive given reviews but I heard no noise from the train at night or from construction. I could see train from my window and could hear it when getting ready in the am. I was at a conference each day so was not bothered by work noise. My room was redone already so is new. The staff have been helpful to all during the flight cancelations. Luckily they were able to keep a restaurant open because everything else around is closed. The location is great for walking to the musuems and subway. You can walk inside if it is raining to Starbucks and Mcdonalds

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank lusyke
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
I hope your conference went well during your trip to DC. I appreciate you staying at our hotel and reviewing us. I also really appreciate your comments about neither the train or renovation disturbing you. We have done everything we can to make our guests comfortable, while undergoing our multi-million dollar renovation.
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

In comfortable walking distance from all the important museums and the Mall this Holiday Inn is an excellent choice for tourist going through the "must seen first" list of important sites in Washington. A bus stop for the 5A line from Dulles Airport is equally nearby as a metro station, so also city excursions are easily based out of this location.
We stayed in the newly renovated part of the hotel, with really nice rooms. We suffered a bit from the noise (starting at 7AM...), but got our bill reduced as compensation - good attitude by management. Breakfast and dinner in the restaurants were of good quality and reasonably priced.
My only complaints and the reasons why this hotel does not deserve 5 stars in this review are the run down, badly maintained gym and the room aircon. While they have totally remodeled the rooms, the aircon units are old, noisy like hell and the control at least in my room never worked well. It was either too cold, too hot or badly ventilated. On top of that the windows cannot be opened, so if you want fresh air in the room you have to put up with the noisy aircon, and even then I suspect the system does not actually bring fresh air into the room, the stale room air gets only recycled. It took hours to get rid of water condensation on the windows after taking a shower, giving the otherwise nice room the ambience of a Turkish steam bath, or a submarine, whatever puts you more off...
So, all-in-all a very good choice for budget conscious visitors, especially if you don't mind a little oxygen deprivation.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank SonicArmin
Thank you for staying at our hotel and reviewing us. I'm sorry that you had issues with your A/C unit. They do indeed draw air from outside the hotel. We have discovered that some of our units are made a little differently and generate more noise. We are working with the manufacturer to find a solution. Also, the fitness room gets heavy use here. As part of our renovation, we are moving the fitness room to the roof and creating two separate rooms. One room will be for cardio activities and the other will have weights and floor space for stretching. We are very excited about the change.
Tallahassee, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

This was the second time I stayed at the Holiday Inn in DC in the last three years. Both times I stayed there as a chaperone for a school trip. The first night I had hot water in my room. Day 2-4 there was NO hot water. If I was lucky I had "luke warm" water. I would not suggest a room facing the train OR the elevator as it was very noisy. The hotel has a CVS located right next door (only open 7-7 without a pharmacy). There is also a Starbucks located in this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the train & the elevator. Don't pick room 859!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Travel4Fun465
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
I'm so glad you returned with your school group to our hotel. I'm so sorry you had the hot water issues. We tested the hot water coming from our various hot water tanks and found that they were producing the necessary hot water. What we did find however, was that our Holby valve which controls the hot/cold mixture going to the guestroom was not functioning correctly. We have ordered a new one to replace the our current one. The reason it was not easy to detect was because the hot water fluctuated; sometimes working normally and sometimes not. I'm not making excuses, just wanted you to know that we have identified the issue and are getting it fixed. Again, I'm sorry you had the issue.
Midlothian, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

On a recent trip to our nation’s capital, my wife and I decided to locate lodging within a short walking distance to the National Mall and the museums. After researching options using several lodging search engines we decided on the Holiday Inn Washington Capital.

We arrived shortly after check-in and were greeted by very friendly staff that efficiently checked us in, provided pertinent information regarding hotel amenities and parking directions, and eating options.

We made it to our room and found it comfortable but dated. It was clear efforts had been made to upgrade the basics such as the bathroom, flat screen TV, bar refrigerator, etc.
Unfortunately the attention to detail didn’t make it to the bed (mattress was uncomfortably hard) or the room temperature control unit (looked to be at least 20 plus years old).

Our room overlooked the courtyard which had a penitentiary feel to it, giving a claustrophobic feel. The two eating venues offered a decent selection and the prices were what you would expect to pay in D.C. All in all it was evident great effort has been placed in upgrading this lodging option, starting from the lobby, to the restaurant and lounge and furnishing.

Really couldn’t beat the location (less than a city block from the Smithsonian Air a Space Museum) or other attractions.

Room Tip: Rooms above the second floor facing the avenue offer a better view.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K A
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for selecting our hotel for your visit to Washington, DC. I appreciate you telling others about our location, service and hotel. I have exciting news for you. We are currently undergoing a multi-million dollar renovation of all of our guestrooms, bathrooms and hallways. In addition, we are also re-doing some of our public spaces. As part of this renovation, we are replacing all of the guestroom furniture; including purchasing all new mattresses. We are also eliminating our double beds and going with queens.