“Not impressed”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #83 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I've resorted to posting my review here as it seems that the hotel monitors this rather than their emails. We stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in late Jan and early Feb and I was very disappointed. We arrived to check in at 2.30 and were told the room was not yet ready. After many various excuses we were finally given 'one of the best rooms' at almost 7.30. You can imagine our delight at discovering that we overlooked the train line and also the builders skip. The train was annoying but it's one of those things. The skip however was emptied around 4.30am every morning! Gotta love that. The phone in our room didn't work and 48 hours after notifying reception we still didn't have it fixed. I've been home just over 2 weeks and have had no response to the feedback card I left in the room or the email I sent the hotel.
I definitely would not recommend this place. A disappointing reflection on this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

I am going to reach out through Trip Advisor to get in contact with you. I read and answer all of my e-mails, so I don't know what happened if you sent something. It might have ended up in my junk mail and I didn't catch it. I do care about what our guests have to say about our hotel and their stay. It appears that you had some issues and I definitely want to find out more. Thank you for reaching out to me through this resource.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Greeted at check in by a report that the computers had crashed and no check in would be possible for at least 30 minutes. Came back a 9:30 pm to a burned out front desk agent. Found a room with no TV remote and a failure of the front desk agent to provide an internet access code. Guy who dropped of the remote was friendliest of the bunch! Woke up to a broken coffee pot and a cool shower. Some undercooked eggs topped it off!

Room Tip: Interior courtyard was quieter
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sean C

I'm so sorry for what you experienced. Our front desk system did crash and unfortunately, it was down a lot longer than what anyone at the hotel thought. It appears that several things went wrong during your stay. Occassionally, things do indeed happen and in your case you experienced more than your share. For this I'm truly sorry. Across the board we are usually much better at providing pleasant stays. I do hope you would give us another try.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

An old hotel that needs some work. The staff was nice. This hotel seemed to be the choice of a few very large church/school groups for the annual March for Life, so the lobby was often very crowded. Overall it's perfect for the amount you pay and very conveniently located for visiting national museums, especially the Smithsonian Air & Space.

Room Tip: Ensure your room is not adjacent to a stairwell. Many people seemed to use the one we were next to a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bryceanelson

Thank you for staying with us. I wanted to just share with you that we are undergoing a major renovation of our guestrooms, bathrooms and hallways. Our new look is both modern and elegant. I hope you will visit us again and check out the changes. We are very excited about our new look.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I wanted a hotel near the National Mall and access to the subway nearby and these had both.
Short walking distance to the Air and Space Museum. Checkin was slow but there were a lot of people arriving the same time we did. Room was average and the bed was comfortable.
Our room overlooked the street and train station. We did hear the train whistle / horn in the morning from a commuter train ... but I like trains so this didn't bother me. There is a Starbucks, McDonalds and CVS nearby and the hotel has a restaurant and quick counter deli/ shop. The hotel has underground parking. We brought our bicycles and we rode them out of the underground garage, it was a very short ride to the national mall. The hotel has a pool on the roof. We didn't use it but take time to go up, at least for the view.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

I appreciate your comments about our hotel and location. Sounds as if you had a busy time while you were here visiting the museums and monuments in DC. It is a great city to bike around. I'm a biker and it is a great way to not only get around, but to see so many more sites. I appreciate you choosing our hotel for your visit. If you are ever back in our city, we would enjoy having you back.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Recently, I wrote a review for the Holiday Inn in D.C., The manager saw that I had many concerns about my stay; Just wanted to say thank you to that manager SASwain, for making it right. I was inpress on the quickness she responded to my post. There really do care about your stay there and try to do everything in their power to make things right.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your follow up note. We try to ensure all of our guests have a good stay and we do care.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Stayed on second floor and was apprehensive given reviews but I heard no noise from the train at night or from construction. I could see train from my window and could hear it when getting ready in the am. I was at a conference each day so was not bothered by work noise. My room was redone already so is new. The staff have been helpful to all during the flight cancelations. Luckily they were able to keep a restaurant open because everything else around is closed. The location is great for walking to the musuems and subway. You can walk inside if it is raining to Starbucks and Mcdonalds

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lusyke
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

I hope your conference went well during your trip to DC. I appreciate you staying at our hotel and reviewing us. I also really appreciate your comments about neither the train or renovation disturbing you. We have done everything we can to make our guests comfortable, while undergoing our multi-million dollar renovation.

Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

In comfortable walking distance from all the important museums and the Mall this Holiday Inn is an excellent choice for tourist going through the "must seen first" list of important sites in Washington. A bus stop for the 5A line from Dulles Airport is equally nearby as a metro station, so also city excursions are easily based out of this location.
We stayed in the newly renovated part of the hotel, with really nice rooms. We suffered a bit from the noise (starting at 7AM...), but got our bill reduced as compensation - good attitude by management. Breakfast and dinner in the restaurants were of good quality and reasonably priced.
My only complaints and the reasons why this hotel does not deserve 5 stars in this review are the run down, badly maintained gym and the room aircon. While they have totally remodeled the rooms, the aircon units are old, noisy like hell and the control at least in my room never worked well. It was either too cold, too hot or badly ventilated. On top of that the windows cannot be opened, so if you want fresh air in the room you have to put up with the noisy aircon, and even then I suspect the system does not actually bring fresh air into the room, the stale room air gets only recycled. It took hours to get rid of water condensation on the windows after taking a shower, giving the otherwise nice room the ambience of a Turkish steam bath, or a submarine, whatever puts you more off...
So, all-in-all a very good choice for budget conscious visitors, especially if you don't mind a little oxygen deprivation.

Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank SonicArmin

Thank you for staying at our hotel and reviewing us. I'm sorry that you had issues with your A/C unit. They do indeed draw air from outside the hotel. We have discovered that some of our units are made a little differently and generate more noise. We are working with the manufacturer to find a solution. Also, the fitness room gets heavy use here. As part of our renovation, we are moving the fitness room to the roof and creating two separate rooms. One room will be for cardio activities and the other will have weights and floor space for stretching. We are very excited about the change.