“Very good experience”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #83 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The biggest advantage is its location. When I arrived, I had lost my luggage so checked in and just went to sleep. Very clean and tidy hotel. It is very close to Capitol Hill and lots of famous places like Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, National Museum of African American History and Culture, Capitol Hill and National Museum of American History. There are ample restaurants, road side food stalls and shops in this area. Lots of taxis and cabs so going to any place is not a problem. The Hotel gives good service. When the Airlines finally delivered my luggage it was neatly placed by the staff in a safe room. Good staff and nice atmosphere.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Nauman2014
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

I'm so glad the airlines found your luggage. I know what tha is like having had it happen to me once on a trip to Florida. Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your stay. I appreciate it.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Expected an average, old, but clean hotel. Half the price of the others in the area. Had poor reviews relating to the noisy train, dated decor, etc. Walked in to a newly renovated lobby, with staff happy to see us and efficiently handled our check in. Even more surprised to walk through what looked like a newly renovated corridor to our room to find our room had also been completely renovated! Brand new everything! Exceptionally comfortable beds with a good choice of pillows. Lights everywhere! Brand new bathroom. The train is an issue if you are a light sleeper, even if you are in a room over looking the courtyard. Ear plugs fix that. Efficient and reasonable room service. Two restaurants (one with al la carte and buffet dining, one with a bar). A Starbucks and a small gift shop. Two minute walk to the Aeronautic museum. Five minute to the mall. Double decker hop on/off bus leaves from outside the museum every 20 minutes and goes to all major attractions. Absolutely brilliant value and perfectly located. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard and away from elevators.
1  Thank Lynnie661

I'm so glad we exceeded your expectations. I appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and provide so many details to other travelers. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

When I arrived I was a little put off by the decor in the lobby but this was more than made up for by the fantastic staff - at the check in desk, in the restaurant, the bellboy, the cleaners, everyone was exceptional. The bed was comfortable and the pillows were very good. The restaurant not pleasant to look at but the homemade minestrone soup was excellent and good value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Washington, DC. It sounds as if our staff exceeded your expectations. I'm glad that happened and that you enjoyed your soup in our restaurant. We have a cook that makes homemade soup daily and I personally think it is some of the best tasting soup I have ever eaten. I especially love the potatoe leek and been soup. I hope if you are ever back in this area, you will choose our hotel once again.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Hotel was average as we expected for the rate paid, but you can't beat the location. We could walk to the Mall and all the sites we wanted to see. Read the reviews on here and asked for a room away from the railway line, which we got. Room was average, but clean and comfortable. Traveled in March 2013

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side not facing the railway line
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your business trip here in the States. I'm glad you received the room you requested, away from the trains. Some guests are lighter sleepers than others. It doesn't sound as if you had one of our newly renovated guest rooms. We just completed renovating all of our guest rooms and they are beautiful, very elegant and modern. I do hope if your business brings you back, you will stay with us again. I would really like for you to experience our new rooms.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is clearly not a five star hotel but has two things going for it that make it a 4 star rating ... Location and price.

This hotel has been plagued lately with many poor reviews because of renovation issues. Well hotels get old and need renovations so I don't understand people complaining about it especially if you KNOW about them. We stayed on a Thursday the week before Easter this year and the renovations were almost done. We passed two rooms on our floor that were still being gutted but for the most part the renovations were done.

The Elevators were fast and responsive (this is a huge pet peeve of mine in big hotels).

Our room was clean and yes the new carpets were a little loud but I've seen worse in Casino's in Atlantic City.

Our tub did have a chip in it but it was nothing major. It looks like they kept the original tubs and renovated right around them. Everything worked in our room as it should have. We didn't have any noise issues either.

We were on the 3rd floor on the train track side. And yes you could hear the trains but we didn't notice them until rush the following the morning when they went by quite often after 7am. But we were up already anyhow. My six year old son loved watching them.

The food at the restaurant was so so. We had the breakfast buffet as part of our room package and it was good but not great. We did make the mistake of waiting until 10am to go down and there was a line out the door. I imagine if we got there earlier it would have been faster to get seated.

The price and parking:

For the price and the location you cannot find a better deal. Our room was $236.00 (after taxes) and that included breakfast (kids under 12 eat free), parking, and free WIFI. For being two blocks from the Capital and the Mall you just cannot beat that price. We were able to walk to everything from our hotel (cherry blossoms, Capital, W. Monument, Lincoln Memorial, etc)...

The parking garage was poorly marked. It took us a while (and a few VERY tight dead ends) to figure out how to get DOWN to the extra parking spaces. But we lucked out and literally parked right next to the hotel elevator (make it convenient getting stuff in/out of the car).

If you're looking for a good deal with a family this is the place to go. If you want spa pampering and more services spend more $$$ and go somewhere else.

Room Tip: If you're a light sleeper that wants to sleep in past 7am ask to be away from the train track si...
2  Thank eztarget

Thank you for staying with us and your very detailed review. I really appreciate you mentioning the renovation...renovating and operating a hotel is a challenge. We try and do the best we can, but things do indeed happen. However, the guestroom renovation is complete and the finished product (after gutting the rooms) is beautiful. All of our rooms now have an elegant, modern look. We are definitely excited about the changes.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Selected this hotel for a long weekend to see the sites. Parked in the garage below hotel, yes there is a fee but took advantage of a parking/room package offered which saved some money. The rooms are newly renovated top to bottom with a nice design. Offers soft & firm pillows on beds, nice to have a choice. I did read other reviews and asked for a room on the street side as I had children and didn't want to be near the train side. I couldn't check in until late afternoon due to my request but that was fine with me. We checked our bags with the bellman and off we went for a bit. Had breakfast one morning in the restaurant, busy but not a problem...kids eat free...yeah! Yes they charge $50 incidental if check in with a debit card, again no problem here that is very common in the industry and it bothers me when people complain about it in reviews so I'm giving a heads up :) Will return again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

I appreciate you and your family staying with us. It sounds as if you had a busy, enjoyable visit. I really appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel and tell others about your stay. I also really thank you for your comment about incidentals. It is a very common industry practice. Please visit us again.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Absolutely no sound insulation in construction
Could easily hear next room conversations (spoken at normal level) and television from room across corridor. Not to mention the train station across the street , the adjacent toilet noises, etc...
Changed room . Still the same problems.
Stay away if you intend to get any sleep at all

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bfrattin
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

I'm sorry you experienced noise issues during your stay. We were undergoing a major renovation between November 2013 and early April 2014. Construction and the number of crew working did indeed cause an unusual amount of noise. Guest room renovations are complete and the hotel is back to operating under regular conditions. I hope you will give us another try, I don't believe you would have the same issues.