“Grandchild right of passage trip”

Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol
Ranked #85 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We took our grandson to Washington DC and stayed here for 3 nights. Had a great room, bed, bathroom--everything was great. Very close to L'Enfant Plaza on the Metro and the Smithsonian. Very nice staff. It your looking for dining-this is not the area-not too many places to have dinner. McDonalds, Starbucks Quiznos were probably the only available. Capitol was very close. All in all-with the location--it was a great stopping point for sightseeing. Just remember --parking in DC is very very hard--either get a Metro pass, Hop on Hop Off ticket (which can be expensive) or get some good walking shoes.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
SASwain, General Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

I believe it will be a trip your grandson will always remember. Thank you for staying with us during this special trip. I appreciate it and your review.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Our trip was to take our grandson to see DC since his 8th grade trip was during the federal shutdown. The goal was to stay 3 nights and see all the historical sites. We are so glad we stayed at this hotel! The location was perfect (we read reviews and asked for a room away from the trains). Cedric, the wonderful bellhop, suggested we take a cab to the Jefferson Memorial and walk a huge loop, seeing all the memorials, Ford Theater, Peterson House, the White House and Capitol. We did that and the second day walked to the Capitol for a tour and then got the Metro to Arlington. Fantastic location--evenings we could walk to the Mall. Safe location, great staff, room recently refurbished--larger beds, outlets everywhere, excellent lighting--friendly staff. Chris at the front desk helped us plan out second day's outing. We ate at the Bistro, which had comparable prices (DC is high, but my salmon cobb salad was the same price as a regular salad at the Smithsonian. All Smithsonians are easy walking distance. Took package with two free breakfast buffets. I was the third guy and just had filling oatmeal for $5. This hotel changed my mind about DC. Our previous trips we were caught in traffic, couldn't park at metro stations and ending up wasting so much time. This trip we did it all easily and now I want to return to DC, staying at the Holiday Inn Capitol. Great experience for us all.

Room Tip: room away from the trains
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

What a lovely review! I couldn't have asked for a better shout out of both the hotel and our employees. Thank you, thank you. I hope your grandson had a great trip. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for a 4 night business trip and were very pleased with our stay. Our room was very nicely appointed, and the bathroom was a pleasant surprise. We have stayed at several Hamptons that have also been refurbished, and their bathrooms are ridiculously small. This one had a large stall shower, huge counter top and terrific lighting. The hotel location was excellent, and we wish we were able to stay longer to take advantage of the nearby attractions. Restaurants at the hotel are weak, but we found plenty of variety to chose from within walking distance along 7th Street.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

I really appreciate you and your wife staying with us. thank you for taking the time to review us. It was a great review. Thank you. I hope you will come back and visit us again when you can stay longer.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is our second visit to this hotel and the upgrade you have just completed is great. The rooms are to a high standard and have everything you ask for in a room. The staff are friendly and happy help you with any problem that you may have. A nice tip is that in the business centre you can you the computer for up to 30 mins this is helpful as there are not many places that do this I have found on this holiday. Hotel is in good location to many Smithsonian's on the mall and there is a stop outside air and space museum for the bus rides around the city which is only a block from the hotel. The café downstairs is great for breakfast and there is a CVS shop along the road if you need anything.

Room Tip: There is noise from the trains passing behind the hotel but this stops at night, so try not to get a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are very excited about all of the changes. I think the hotel is absolutely beautiful now. I appreciate you sharing your comments about our hotel with others. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Front desk clerks were nice and very friendly. As well as helpful in selecting which restaurant in China town to eat at. Hotel is right next to FEMA. My room faced the atrium near the FEMA building. It was very clean , you can tell the hotel had been newly renovated from the previous reviews. My daughter loved the rooftop pool on the 9th floor. The pool is small but the kids enjoyed it. Bathroom was clean and our beds were comfortable. I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you so very much for your great review and telling others about your experience. I really appreciate it.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

It was a good hotel to stay in. Good value for money. The location of the hotel is great with capitol area being very close!!!! Would highly recommend it to everyone. Also it has a free print station in the hotel to print anything and surf the internet!!!

Stayed: August 2014
Thank Pantelis-Christ... P

I appreciate you recommending our hotel to other travelers. Thank you for staying with us and your great review.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Booked here for a family sightseeing trip to DC. Hotel was easy to get to with our GPS and check in was quick and painless. Nice parking deck beneath the hotel. Room was awesome, we had a double queen for our family of four. Plenty of room, free wifi, nice view of C street. The AC worked ok (it was July), but I felt as though it was on some sort of motion sensor because it would kick off in the middle of the night and we'd have to move around to get it come back on and not get warm. Not really impressed with the rooftop pool, it seemed cramped up there, but there was a bunch of wild kids when I checked it out so maybe it was the company.
The lounge had some good food we picked up one night to take to our room, and had a nice little band in there playing several evenings when we walked by. Starbucks and several restaurants right outside the hotel.
It was very close to the Metro station and easy walking distance to the Mall/Smithsonian/Capitol.

Pretty much everything about the place was great, and it would be nice to stay there again, but I can't do the review without mentioning a problem we had with someone when my wife called back to ask about something on our bill. She called to ask the question and had a woman in the accounting office yell at her over the phone, and then asked her "Haven't you ever stayed in a hotel before?" Needless to say this is not how you expect to be treated from someone and my wife asked to speak with a manager. She was told that she was a manager so my wife hung up. After this my wife called back and left a message with the Executive office of the hotel explaining what just happened(she never got a response). She waited for awhile and after no response she called back and talked to the front desk manager, Ebony, who was very helpful and apologetic and got her in touch with the accounting manager, Ed, who was also very apologetic.
They gave us a few extra IHG points to try to smooth it over, but after such an awesome stay at the hotel the insult to my wife is enough I don't know if I could stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jason H
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Washington - Capitol, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear Jason H,

Thank you very much for staying with us and leaving feedback about your stay. I am glad that you had a smooth check-in experience and our location and rooms worked for your needs. However, please accept my sincerest apologies if the level of customer service that you received on this occasion prevented you from fully enjoying your stay with us. I appreciate you letting us know about this as your comments are our best means of improving what we can offer.

Pam G