“Loved it!”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #76 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

I only spent a night in that hotel as I didn't stay long in Washington, D.C. I'm a female on my own and to be honest I've never been scared or whatever. I was surprised to read some reviews advising women travellers not to stay there especially in this area but I've never felt unsafe. I even went to the Capitol Hill in the evening and it was alright. The hotel is very lively too. And the rooms are just great! So clean, big and comfortable! It's 7min walking away to the Amtrak station which is just great!

• Stayed: April 2013
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Hi Nora C!

Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our hotel and the local surroundings. Being located three blocks away from Union Station makes it quick & easy for our guests to access the Amtrak. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Washington D.C.

Safe travels,

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel is good, went there for our anniversary and cherry blossom. Breakfast was average nothing special. What was annoying was in spite of us calling and confirming the room type/reservation etc the Auto check in gave us the info that we dont have the room and contact the Guest services, yes we were given a room immediately, but looks like the guy who served was doing it all for a tip. Also beware that they dont even keep you informed about a $100 security deposit that is charged automatically at the time of check in and not shown on your bill, but directly on your card, luckily I track my transactions so had to call them for a reversal and I thought that was not right that we weren't told about it initially.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Stay for two nights. Near what I needed. Front desk staff was very nice. with in walking distance of the Capitol hill and The mall. Also near Union Station. first night there were no coffee cups to make coffle, but next day there was. a block away from two Irish bars. only had drinks.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Working two years in the hotel industry I have learned what to expect when staying in a hotel. I booked my room through Hotwire and got a good rate for it. I understand that booking through a third party doesn't guarantee the best room in the hotel, but it offers good rooms at discounted prices. I reserved and paid for a king room in February. I received a confirmation email about a week before my reservation and I personally called the hotel 24 hrs in advance to confirm my reservation. With my experience in the industry I know that sometimes reservations can get misplaced or mixed up so it’s always good to confirm over the phone. I spoke with a representative who confirmed my room type and duration of my stay. After an exhaustingly long day of travel my boyfriend and I went to check into the hotel around 9pm and the lady at the front desk advised that they didn't have any king rooms available. I was shocked, outraged and appalled! THE ROOM THAT I ALREADY PREPAID FOR IN FEBRUARY WAS NOT AVAILABLE! The only room that was available was a room with two double beds. Unfortunately it was late in the evening and since I already paid for the room in advance I had no choice but to take it. If this had happened before I paid for the room I would have seeked accommodations elsewhere. I didn’t want to take it out on her knowing that it wasn’t her fault. She was friendly enough to offer to comp our breakfast in the morning, but that does not excuse what happened. I paid for a king room and had to take a double room for the price of the king. The room that I stayed in was small and the bed was uncomfortable. I’ve never stayed in a Hyatt before and was really looking forward to it, but the whole experience has left a bad taste in my mouth for this hotel and the Hyatt brand. If they were able to give away my room to another customer and place me into an available double room, what would have happened if the place were completely booked? After a long day of traveling would we have had to find other accommodations last minute, late at night hoping for a vacancy somewhere? I do a bit of traveling every year and after this experience I don’t think I’ll be back at the Hyatt and advise my friends to avoid it as well.

2  Thank TheDivineMadameM
Reviewed 14 April 2013

Close to all the sights we wanted to see, just down the road from the Capitol building. Staff very friendly and courteous, attentive. Changed our room within minutes of arriving to allow us to have adjoining room with our son. Put fridges in room like we requested at time of booking..though had to remind them...was done right away. Nice pool and fitness center, though I did not utilize them as we were too busy seeing the sights. Exceptionately clean building and courteous staff. Locaton couldn't be any better. Great food right next door at the West Wing Cafe. Across from a pituresque firehouse, one block from union Station. Would definitely recommend and return to this Hotel. Easy public transport whether be taxi, shuttle, or Metro from Union Station. Continental Breakfast, though almost the same every morning, healthy , generally fresh fruit, oatmeal, cheeses, danishes, freshly ground coffee or capachino, sometimes pancakes, sometimes french toast, or warm coffee cake like item, cold boiled eggs, with coffee, juice, snacks , water, soda available most times of the day. 5-8pm featured beef, shrimp, or other really tastey ordourves Had a terrific time!

Room Tip: Rooms in the front are better views as the rooms in the rear face construction at this time.
1  Thank Rita575
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Hi Rita575!

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Washington.Your comments with regards to our friendly & attentive employees are greatly appreciated. Hyatt takes pride with comments such as yours, and they will be recognized for their efforts. It's great to hear how well our centralized location worked for your visit, as you were able to see the sights & sounds of the area.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to our hotel on your next visit to the area. Your referral is greatly appreciated.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 13 April 2013

This was my first time staying on Capitol Hill.Hotel was very nice full services as well
My room was a standard room but modern.Nice size and clean flat screen newer carpets

I had a steak and sautéed spinach in the dining room-excellent

Bathroom soaps and shampoo were very good quality
Coffee maker and quality coffee maker well below average

Why stay here? Very close to the Hill
Why not? For being downtown the restaurant options within very close proximity were either very high end or hotel restaurants with a separate entrance. I have always believed hotel food can be sketchy.
China town is 10 minute walk and worth it

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for one night to attend a concert at the Verizon Center in DC. The staff are very friendly and prompt. The rooms were very clean, and I was surprised to find that they even supplied Q-tips and cotton balls in the bathroom; this is not standard for the Hyatt hotel chains. While the rooms were not the "best" I have ever stayed in, they were well appointed and comfortable. Be advised that this hotel has a 9 p.m. sound curfew. While this curfew was not a problem for us, (we returned to our room from the concert around 11:30 p.m.), other travelers may find this to be strange. Overall, it was a great stay at a well located hotel.