“Pleasure trip - Close to everything but….”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #74 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was the first time I booked a room with Hyatt Gold Passport points (I am a Platinum member). There was only one rate available: king-size bed, no breakfast. Why not include additional options for additional points?¿?

Check-in process:
- I asked the receptionist to speak more slowly since I couldn’t understand her but she kept speaking very fast. I am a Platinum member but there was no welcome gift or anything special during the check-in process

Hotel staff:
- it was a busy weekend and the staff was overwhelmed and not very nice with the guests

Preferences:
- my preferences are low floor and room close to the elevator. They gave me a top floor and almost the farthest room from the elevator

Light:
- terrible light in the rooms to either work or read in bed. Room doesn’t have centralized switch-on / switch-off so each day you have to go to each lamp to turn on the lights and then turn them off one by one before going to sleep

Switches:
- Adaptors didn’t hold properly in the switches

Corridors:
- The carpet was so thick that it was difficult to move the carry-on

Cleanliness:
+ clean room and bathroom

Room size:
Standard room size

Wifi internet access:
+ I had it included in my room rate
- It turned off after being connected for an hour so had to restart the computer and reconnect again

Closet:
- small and few hangers

Drawers:
+ large and enough

Shower:
- no handheld shower, no massage options, no fan available in the bathroom

Safe:
+ easy to use and large space for the laptop

TV:
+ you can move it so you can watch it while working at the desk, reading on the sofa or in bed

Mini-bar:
+ there is an empty mini-fridge where you can put your personal beverage or food

Bed:
+ large and comfortable bed

Pillows:
- too soft

Air conditioning:
+ easy to use
- the noise of the air conditioning was similar to a plane about to take off. If you have problems to sleep, avoid these rooms

Coffee / tea:
+ free coffee and tea in the room. Coffee is replaced during your stay

Free water:
- no free bottles

Other amenities:
- nothing except for the standard soap-shampoo

Noise:
- you can hear conversations and people going through the corridor, when people close their room doors, my room door moved too, the air conditioning makes a terrible noise

Elevators:
- many elevators available but I had to wait for 20 minutes each time I had to take the elevator

Breakfast:
- not included in my room rate so I bought food and drink in the Wallgreens supermarket

Check-out process:
- they charged me for parking even though I had no car

Flight auto-check in:
+ a computer and a printer are available at the hall to make the flights’ auto-check in and they are located in a corner so that you can type your passwords with some privacy

The area:
- the only but is that there are several shelters close to the hotel, so every time you leave the hotel there are people asking for money, food, cigarettes,…
+ If you want to take the Old Town Trolley Tours, they come to pick you up to the hotel so it is very convenient
+ Sightseeing: Union Square station and Capitol Hill are a 10-minute walk away. National Gallery of Art, National Archives, National Museum of Natural History are a 15-minute walk away. The National Museum of the American Indian, the National Air and Space Museum, the National Museum of African Art are a 20-minute walk away. Chinatown is a 15-minute walk away.
+ Drugstores/supermarket: CVS is a 15-minute walk away, Walgreens a 20-minute walk away
+ Malls: Union Square mall is a 10-minute walk away
+/- Dining area: you have to walk a little bit to go to Chinatown to find different options for lunch-dinner

Guest market: I didn’t need anything during this visit and didn’t see if there is a guest market in the hotel
Souvenir shop: if you have time to go any of the souvenir shops in Chinatown avoid this shop since the prices are too high
Room service: not requested during this visit
Laundry service: not requested during this visit
Gym/pool: I don’t know if there are any available

Distance to Ronald Reagan airport:
Depending on the traffic, it takes 10-20 minutes
The supershuttle charged USD 24,00.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank V-TRAVELLING
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you for going out of your way to share such extensive feedback about your recent stay. I am sorry to hear that your stay failed to meet all of your expectations. I’m glad that you found the TV, mini-refrigerator, safe, and flight check-in stations to be convenient and to your liking. I will forward your comments regarding the check-in process, as well as the service throughout your stay, to our Executive management so this can be addressed with our staff. I appreciate the comments you shared regarding changed you would like to see made to the rooms, such as the lighting, a hand-held shower, soundproofing, etc. These will all be taken into consideration for future renovations. I hope that you will give us another chance to welcome you back to Hyatt and provide you with the excellent customer service that is indicative of our hotels.

Abrea H – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I had two nights here on a Saturday/Sunday after a business trip to DC. The hotel is clearly aimed at the business crowd and on weekends it seems to sell rooms a bargain prices to families and tourists. The location is excellent, being a couple of minutes walk from the Capitol end of the mall, although i think some of the streets behind the hotel are not so salubrious so nervous travellers may wish to avoid them if alone or in the dark.

When I arrived the check-in desks were very busy with people checking-out and this appeared to be the case every morning I passed through reception. By busy I mean long queues stretching along the lobby. On the day I checked-out however there was nobody there - this may have been because it was a Monday rather than a weekend.

I had a twin room that was a reasonable size. It was quite gloomy because it had only one narrow window (because it was positioned on a corner). There never seemed to be enough light to properly illuminate the room, but that didn't bother me too much. The bathroom was fine, with a walk-in shower and good toiletries. The shelf above the sink was very narrow so if you have lots of toiletries you might struggle. The television seemed to be a little bit temperamental and occasionally the cable would just cut out for minutes at a time on some channels.

The bed was comfortable but I wasn't particularly pleased with the bedding. The duvet cover was unsealed on three sides - like something you would get in a hostel - which meant the duvet itself inevitably escaped from the cover during the night. I assume this is for easy changing of the bedding but when there are stains on the duvet it's not very appealing.

I had the breakfast buffet one morning and the selection was good - although I was there early and I am not sure what it would be like later in the morning. I was pleased to see gluten-free bread was also available, as well as hot food and an omelet bar. Not sure the buffet was worth the price - around $25 - but the staff were very helpful and friendly.

There is a gift shop in the lobby, which also serves Starbucks coffee. It's handy but it is also outrageously expensive - a bottle of orange juice and a medium tea cost me $12. A tip is to use the West Wing Cafe - just across the road - for any provisions you need. That place is great.

I had planned to use the pool but the one time I tried it was busy with children and parents so I didn't bother - but it looked good.

I didn't have any real problems during my stay and I probably would stay here again if the price was right - but it's the sort of hotel that does just what you need it to do and no more.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room on the interior corner of the quad - mine had only one narrow window and was ver...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My family and I decided on a last minute trip to our nation's capital and we were scrambling for a hotel and we found the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. The price was a little high for what I planned to pay, but a neighbor reminded me that the price of hotels in DC will be high in July since we are traveling during the heart of the tourist season, so I kept the reservation.
When we arrived, I saw the hotel, and we were really close to the Capitol and Union Station. Walking distance is about 15-20 minutes. Our room was very nice and clean. Donald, the concierge agent recommended for sightseeing BB Tours and he didn’t steer us wrong (thanks Donald). The fitness room was a unique set up machines were in one room and the cardio equipment in another room. Their restaurant was a little pricey, but the staff was very nice and accommodating. Downside to the hotel, it is not close to other reasonably priced restaurants so if you are hungry late at night and don’t want to venture to Chinatown or anywhere by foot, you might find yourself stuck eating something at the restaurant.
I would recommend the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. It is a good location if you have business on Capitol Hill.

1  Thank KStep029
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I lived in DC for a few year and now every time I come back to visit family and friends, this is my go-to place to stay. I have probably stayed here three times in the last 6 months and each stay has been great. It is walking distance to Union Station, the National Mall and other touristy DC attractions. The rooms are nice and clean and the staff is extremely helpful and friendly. It is reasonably priced and well worth it!

The only downside is that depending on where your room is located, you may hear some noise that carries down the hallway or the walls shake from doors shutting. This has only happened to me on one of my few recent stays. Other than that, I would definitely recommend this hotel!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I stayed here last year and wrote a review that wasnt that great because I knew Hyatt could do better, and they did. I do want to say that after I wrote that review I was promptly contacted by the hotel to apologize. And no, before I write this, I didnt get anything for coming back. My work requires that I attend a conference held in the Hyatt and since they are paying for it, this is where I stay.
So I was here for 3 days at the end of July 2013 and it could not have been a more enjoyable stay (with one little exception, later). This time instead of traveling alone I brought my husband and kids so they could enjoy DC while I sat in meetings. The room was immaculate and definitely looked like there had been some recent upgrades and renovations done since last summer. The whole hotel felt cleaner and fresher. We got a room with two doubles and there was plenty of room for the four of us.
PROS -
LOCATION - this hotel is so perfectly located. My family walked to the Smithsonian museums, one day (spread anywhere from a few to 8-10 blocks away). Another day they hopped on the Metro (2 blocks away) and went to the Zoo and explored DuPont circle. The third day we all walked to the Capital (5 minutes!) and took the tours and watched Congress in session. At night it was very relaxing to take a drive and see the monuments nearby, as I think they are prettiest at night. Each day when they returned to the hotel everyone went for a swim. The pool is really nice, small, but perfect since there are rarely more than 3-5 people in the pool. In the pool area is their gym which is the nicest one I have seen in a hotel. So much to do, plus plenty of towels, ice water, space, etc. The whole pool/fitness are was so well planned.
BEDS- so comfortable. I like a soft bed, my husband likes a firm bed, yet we both slept really well. Also I foudn this hotel to be very quiet. Maybe it was the floor we were on (7th) but I didnt notice much noise at all, inlcuding the annoying "bam" of nearby hotel room doors opening and closing like I ususally do in a hotel. The bathroom is big and the amenities standard but nice.
SERVICE - I really felt lile everyone we were in contact with was especially nice and warm. As we first entered our room, the housekeeper was walking by, saw there were four of us and immediately brought us more towels and extra TP. I liked her predictive service approach. The rest of the staff was equally helpful.
CONS
AC - DC is hot and humid in the summer and I am still not in love with the AC situation in this hotel. Public areas are fine, but in the rooms I still dont feel like is is running the way I want it to. Dont get me wrong, it is on and it is certainly comfortable, but I still think the room design (where the blower is too close to the thermostat and blows against the drapes) hampers it from getting really cool and dry the way I like it.
GIFT SHOP - ridiculous prices. Even on an expense account, I just cant do it. I know this isnt a Hyatt problem, this is a hotel industry-wide ripoff. But the bright side is that the West Wing cafe is less than a block away and has real people pricing and a great selection.
In the last year I have recommended this hotel to many friends traveling to DC, with the reservations I gave in my last review form last summer. FDrom now on I am happy to say I would recommend this place 100%!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Thank you for giving us another opportunity to provide the excellent service that is indicative of Hyatt Regency Washington. I am pleased you and your family had an outstanding stay. It sounds like your family was able to explore and enjoy all the sights and attractions D.C. has to offer. We have a fabulous location within walking distance to several sights and near the metro station for easy transportation. I have shared your comments regarding the air conditioning in your room with our maintenance team. Your thoughtful feedback and recommendation are our biggest compliment. I look forward to welcoming you back to Hyatt Regency Washington in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 1 August 2013

They overbooked king bed rooms the night we stayed, and put my wife and me in a room with a bed that folded down from the wall. I called the front desk, and they did nothing. Specifically, they told me that neither Priceline, which I used to book the trip, nor the hotel guarantees the type of bed you will sleep on despite the fact that the hotel-booking website offers different bed choices and prices often vary depending on the room type. The hotel staff made me feel like a second-class guest for using this online service.

Also, the stay in DC was part of my wife's birthday present.

Room Tip: Some rooms in this hotel have fold down beds.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JCTraveler2013
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The location of the hotel, its perfect near by museums and such, Megan at front desk was very friendly and efficient, she was the only one during my stay who seems to apply Hyatt standards, but for the rest i am very disappointed with service and specially some of the staff, most of them look grumpy and unfriendly at all times, the worst was a guy from the valet service someone called "rameke" or something like that, he was sooo RUDE not Hyatt standards at all!!! he got me really really angry, room service kept a dirty table with left over food next to my room for two nights disgusting, another thing, you hear pretty much everything outside the room, so you better wake up early other wise voices and noises will get you up oh and personally if you have or rent a car park it around the block seems like you as a guest do not have that privilege, not only you pay your tickets hotel and such you have not right to keep your car on property 48 or 55 $ per night.... not acceptable in my opinion... so far only hyatt in the Caribbean does not charge you for parking... next time will look for another hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. It is disheartening to learn of the issues you encountered during your stay. I do understand how frustrating it can be to be woken up by loud voices. I apologize for the delay on picking up the dirty plates. I have spoken with the housekeeping department to address your concerns and avoid any similar issues in the future. I will be passing on your words to the Executive Management team to further address your concerns with the customer service issues you encountered. I am glad I was able to reach out to further understand your recent experience. I look forward to welcoming you back the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. I hope you will give us another chance to show you the excellent service that is indicative of Hyatt.

Allie H. – A Guest Relations Associate