“Excellent location”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #73 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights. The hotel is clean and in an excellent location. Walkable to all major attractions in Washington. Breakfast at the hotel was fantastic and plentiful. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Angie118
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear Angie118,

Thank you for going out of your way to share comments about your recent stay at our Hyatt Regency Washington. I am delighted to hear how well our location worked for your travel needs. Our Executive Chef at Article One Grill will be recognized for the excellent meals you enjoyed. It will be our pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to DC.

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We were coming in for an private event and stayed for the weekend (Friday through Sunday). The hotel itself is nice, although getting to the elevator was a bit cludgy; we didn't realize that the elevators could not be reached from the top of the lobby. Not a big deal, but a bit annoying after driving for several hours in DC traffic!
Service was quite good; my only complaint is that although I am a gold member, I still had to pay for Internet. I am a gold member at another large chain and breakfast and internet are free; that would have been a nice thing for the Hyatt to do.
Parking is rather expensive, but then again, this IS located 2 blocks from the capital, so I rather expected that.
The room was clean and comfortable and that is often what counts. On the whole, I was quite satisfied with my stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 August 2013

If you have a convention meeting at the Hyatt or have buiness on the hill this is a fine place to stay. If you are a tourist and want to take in the sights, stay away. The price was good but what we spent in Taxi's could have put us in a hotel that was more central to the sights.

We were there for pleasure and were 100% tourists. If you are a tourist and want to see the monuments, the White House and any of the museums then stay someplace else. We walked A LOT! I dont mind walking but the area immediately behind the hotel is not safe to walk through. Streets D & E stradle the Hyatt - if you head towards the Whte House there are many homeless shelters, lots of people loitering and sleeping and lots of trash on the street. it's very sad and but it's not a safe area for tourists - especially tourists who don't know what they are walking into until it's too late.

Yes, you can avoid the sketchy area by talking the long way around but it's a hassle, just stay somewhere else! Out trip was great but the location of the hotel was bad for us. I would pay more next time and have a location closer to the sights. While the Hyatt was nice to sleep in, I regret my decison to stay there.

1  Thank wendelyn
Reviewed 12 August 2013

A group of family and friends makes an annual trip to DC to see the Phillies play the Nationals. This was our third year in a row and we had a great stay as usual. The location is awesome; a short drive to the ballpark, convenient to the Metro/Amtrak, and close to the Mall. Staff is very friendly and we had another good experience. Breakfast buffet at the hotel is very good, but a little expensive. Also, parking is pricey, but Union Station's lot is half the price and you don't have to feed the meters on the surrounding streets on Saturday nights.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

The hotel is closed to Capitol Hill and the National Mall. I suggest it to visit this area by feet.
Rooms are nice and comfortable. Breakfast is not included, there is an excellent buffet at the ArticolOne restaurant in the lobby. The restaurant is also good for dinner. Prices are not low, but other restaurants in Washington are more expensive.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I used a free night to stay at this Hyatt. I stay at the Hyatt a lot and love the brand.

I knew there were two other higher level Hyatt hotels in the D.C. area but since I was using a free night I had to go with a level 4 property.

I was pleased with the location as it is a stones throw away from Union Station and the Capital Building. (I recommend parking at Union Station for $22 rather than at the hotel for $55 - although if you use the hotel parking you can come and leave as you want.)

The lobby of the hotel is nice and the rooms are pretty good too. The bathrooms felt slightly outdated, but overall I think they were satisfactory and clean.

My main issue with the hotel was that it felt significantly understaffed. Whenever I called the hotel I sometimes could not get through and even when I tried to call the front desk for a wake up call nobody answered until I tried ten minutes later.

The concierge always had a line. (The concierge was also not very helpful. He told me that the LBJ monument was where the Imo Jima monument was, and also that parking by the monuments would be impossible and not worth taking a car and that walking was not feasible either. (I think he wanted to sell me a trip on the bus). I would have driven to the monuments as there was parking around there pretty easily at night and in the morning (Imo Jima/LBJ).) Concierge also told me that getting to the Washington Monument would cost $15 when it was only $6-$7 each way.

Also, the hotel is two blocks away from a homeless shelter which felt a little unsafe walking by.

I think overall I would recommend staying at the Grand Hyatt which is better situated (and hopefully with better accommodations and staffing). Obviously not sure what the price difference is.

(I do want to note that the hotel did offer me complimentary early check-in and check out which was very nice of them.)

Room Tip: I think the 11th floor was good. Park by Union Station if you won't be using your car. Taxi to...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Well for starters we knew this hotel was geared towards Business clients. However, the place was nice King Suite. But, what I realized I was never asked if I were a Gold Passport member, maybe I could of gotten some perks ie; Free breakfast for a day you know, something. Anemities were good. Well I have to call Hyatt cause I didn't get my points for the weekend, whew imagine that.