“Decent stay”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #75 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Positives: Hotel room was clean, Bar staff were pleasant, and location was nice to be in walking distance to nearby conferences.

Negatives: Even with the location, it was over priced for the quality of service. Food was expensive and not that great. Valet staff were ok, but not the friendliest.

Will I stay again? Toss up.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thank you for providing feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry that you found some aspects of your stay to be not to your liking in regards to the pricing of the food and valet staff. However, I am glad to hear that you did enjoy the hotel rooms and the convenient location of the hotel. I do hope you return to give the hotel another try.

Regards,

Belinda M - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 22 November 2013

The staff was pleasant and helpful. We enjoyed our allergy friendly room with allergy free soaps and shampoos. The room had a pleasant view of the tree lined street below us. It was with walking distance to several sights. We had an air purifier in the room that drowned out any noises, but what I found nice was the hotel signs asking patrons to be mindful of quiet hours starting at 9:00 p.m. We were there during three conferences including ours with lots of tweens and teens. No noise issues. We felt it was clean and very modern feel. The beds were comfortable, although the way they made the beds was interesting...who puts a blanket on top of the mattress for sleeping on? Not sure of the reasoning. Luckily they had other blankets on top too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Greetings mama2potter,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We like to have every guest have a great stay and a great night's sleep and I am glad to hear you had zero noise issues when you stayed. Thank you for providing future guest with the great idea of getting one of our Pure Rooms and we will be sure to honor our staff for the great service they provide. We cannot wait to welcome you back on your next trip to Washington D.C.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed here over a long weekend while my husband ran the Marine Corps Marathon...this was the headquarter hotel. The bad impressions began as we pulled up to the front of the hotel. Valet at the hotel was $48 a night and when we inquired about other options we were told that self garage parking was available but no one would tell us where that was. We unloaded our stuff, not a single bell guy even attempting to help and I am visibly pregnant, and I was left to manage 2 suitcases and several carry bags while several people looked on. I actually had tip money in my hand but was happy to keep it after that display. My husband returned quickly. before I had even checked in and reorted that he had found parking basically across the street at the Hall of States for $12 bucks a night...SCORE! We checked and went to our room which was nice if a bit small. We were heading to the armory for my hubs to pick up his marathon material and were planning on getting a cab, but as we were walking to the elevator several other running were talking about a shuttle...we inquired and were told that there was a shuttle for runners going back and forth from the hotel to the armory specifically for this reason. No one at the hotel bothered telling us, even when we said 'we are here for the race'. The shuttle was a great perk.

Rooms were mice but there was a TON of noise from the hallway all night. I literally did not sleep a wink one night due to people screaming up and down the hallway like animals all night one night. The way the hallway was configured I couldn't see which room they were in so reporting it to the front desk wouldn't have helped. But even without the idiots, the rooms were not very quiet. OH and the hotel is directly across from a fire station...you WILL hear sirens!!!

Anyhow...more on the hotel. Don't expect a lot of food/shopping options in the area...this is an office district and you'll have to walk 10-15 minutes to get to something other than a starbucks or cheap burger joint, longer for more options. And there is an overnight homeless shelter/soup kitchen around the corner so don't be alarmed by a large number of people gathering in the evenings...they are just waiting for a meal and warm bed for the night. We passed through that area multiple times and it was never a problem. Its a pretty quick walk to Union Station which is convenient for transit as well as the red line in the opposite direction for a less intimidating station.

We ate dinner the night before the marathon at the hotel restaurant which was quite good. They had set up a pasta buffet for the night since so many runners were at the hotel and it had a lot of great options...and the best macarons (little French cookies) I've had this side of Paris. One miss was the crab and shrimp cocktail I had to start...one piece of crab and the tomato base tasted like cold vegetable soup. But overall very good and we had great service here from several people.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators...lots of noise.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank noodle1976
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is a great hotel with great amenities and location but if you have can, DO NOT USE VALET. I used the valet and and they stole items from my locked glove box. If they are going to charge $48 to park your car for 24 hours then they better not steal your personal items since they are already stealing money from your wallet. I reached out to management to get my incident handled properly and they ignored my claim. Besides stealing items from my car they all had the personality of a rock and were not very expeditious when bringing my car in order for me to leave. I waited for almost 30 minutes for my car and I was the only there! If you stay here, use a car service(not a cab) just don't leave your car at valet.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Good Afternoon Steve E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience from the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. We are thrilled to hear about you loving the hotel and the amenities we offered during your visit. I am so sorry to hear about your car and belongings and I definitely understand your frustration! We would love to speak with you about this matter because we find it extremely disappointing management didn't help with your claim. Please contact Guest Relations or send us an email at social.media@hyatt.com. Can't wait to hear from you.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 18 November 2013

I thought this hotel was one of if not the best hyatt I have stayed at! The service was incredible. The staff were all so so so amazing! The manager at the restaurant was so kind and thoughtful! Even at check out I was driven by a black Yukon to the airport by someone at their staff!! I appreciate them so much! I would definitely go back!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is a pleasure to hear that you found the service to be incredible. We have a great staff that prides themselves on providing top notch service for our guests. Your recommendation is our greatest compliment and we look forward to your next visit!

Brock S. - A Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I have stayed at many Hyatt Hotels and always found them to be very nice, I found this Hyatt to be a big disappointment. On the positive side the location is very convenient, the breakfast buffet was well done and the lobby area is nice. Here is the problem, we were on the ninth floor the first night, the street noise went on all night long. They have put a noise canceling machine by the beds (must not be a new issue) but it couldn't drown out the noise. In the morning we awoke to construction noise, looked out the window to see a huge building being erected we asked to move to a quieter room which they accommodated us on (ask for an atrium facing room). The lighting in the bathroom was poor to say the least and with no makeup mirror it made it difficult, there is also no fan in the bathroom. Even expected amenities such as a shower cap and q-tips were not in the room. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Street rooms are VERY noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I've stayed here a few times, because of the location and my membership of the Hyatt loyalty program. Previous stays have been a lot better. Hyatt can't help this, but the streets around this area of the Hill are getting worse. Three or four panhandlers immediately outside of the hotel, and a family of rats competing for the sidewalk garbage. A cluster of drunks on the corner as you make your way up to Union Station. I frequently felt unsafe outside, though inside is a different story. The proprerty has been there a long time, in fact it's a bit of a landmark, so I do appreciate the fact that they've managed to keep it up to date on the inside. The lobby area is still lovely and feels spacious and comfy.

Service was only so-so; reception was kind of abrupt and there was absolutely no personalized service (no greeting by name, small talk, nothing. It was like I was paying for groceries). When I got to my first room, it was a twin, though I'd requested a King. The (gruff) bellhop came to change me to another room, which hadn't been cleaned. The third room, an 'upgrade' to a corner suite was fine, but for the extra space, there is no extra ambience. All those bare walls, and tiny window, feels a little bit cold and unwelcoming. Nice apologetic call from the Assistant Manager however, and some chocolates later, so I can't criticize the save. Just…. why can't I just have what I asked for?

This was the noisiest stay I'd ever had. Walls are thin, and it's hard to tell whose door is being knocked on (I 'answered' my door a few times to see that it was actually for the neighbor.) I stayed for five nights, and was woken by conversation in the hallway every night, and I am not an especially light sleeper. On the first night 'housekeeping' knocked at almost 1030 to do turndown service. Not cool.

No fridges in the rooms; I like the hypo-allergenic and environmentally friendly hotel policies, but the heat/AC was unpredictable (and noisy). The prices in the shop downstairs if you want a drink or a snack are completely exorbitant. The gym is well appointed and I got a lot of use out of it.

In short, while this hotel is fine, it is definitely nothing special, and I had no experiences here that would make me feel like I was in any sense a 'guest'. For that price, for an ostensibly five star hotel, I expect the experience to set itself a little apart from a nice-ish big room and a semi-plush lobby in which the staff are totally indifferent about my stay.

Room Tip: Unless you have a LOT of luggage, the corner room 'upgrade' which I did not pay for, feels l...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business