“Great location, good service”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #71 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Xiamen, China
“Great location, good service”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Combined business with pleasure, with my two teen children joining me at a conference convened at the Hyatt. great location for tourists, so my kids walked to many of them while I was in meetings. conference facilities were good and well-serviced. we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views and are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The mere location of this place gives it a great rating. Walking out the door and immediately seeing the Capitol Building is an honor. For a DC hotel, it's a pretty good place. I'm never a fan of the layouts of the hotels in DC. They seem so broken up. The room itself is super nice with a pretty good sized bathroom. The meeting rooms are ok but lack windows.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NashvilleBrian
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We treated my in-laws to a one night two day trip to Washington this past June. We were arriving at the main bus station and this was the perfect hotel for our visit because it is walking distance to the station and to most of the museums and monuments. The room had two queen beds with a good view. We used the gym and the concierge service. Everything was impressive and our in laws were thrilled. The price was very good because we booked through a hotel booking site.

Room Tip: Best value is to share one room with two queen beds with family
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
I am glad to hear that you and your in-laws have a great time at the Hyatt Regency Washington. Thank you for saying how the hotel is close to Union Station and nearby to many attractions in the city. I hope you have the chance to come see us again.

John Stockwell- Guest Services Specialist
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Everything worked well, over New Year's for us. The people were helpful in getting us around and orienting us to DC. We took the buffet food and internet special - give us what we needed and only ate out lunch each day on our excursions. A quiet neighbourhood and a quiet hotel. Even NYE with a bash downstairs was pretty low key.

Room Tip: We were given a great room on the top floor; we stayed as part of a fly/hotel package, for 8 days.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the positive review. Glad to hear everything went well for you and your room was quiet even during the New Year’s Eve party. I hope you have the chance to come stay with us again soon.

John Stockwell- Guest Services Specialist
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here two nights for an industry conference. Excellent for business functions, the meeting spaces and bar area were great. The close proximity to Capitol Hill was also very convenient for meetings we had there.

The rooms were pretty good, though I've slept on better beds in other Hyatt properties. All in all, not a bad place if you need to be near the Capitol

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Millstone, NJ
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here for 6 days between Xmas and New Years with my 3 children and my mother since my husband had to work and we needed to get out of the house. We booked at the last minute and got a wonderful AAA rate that included breakfast. The value was exceptional. Breakfast was very good and of a high quality with an omlette station, bagels and lox, hot cakes or French toast varying varieties daily you get the picture. Rooms and beds are very clean and comfortable. The bathroom was very nice marble, clean had a great shower with good water pressure. The hotel lobby had an eclectic crowd and a great vibe. There is a huge bar in the lobby surrounded by sofas, comfy chairs, bobble lighting and huge high tables with TV's everywhere. A very inviting mecca for relaxation and web surfing after a long day of sightseeing. This hotel just has really good bones! It is well designed and laid out and PERFECT for travel with kids!!! Its not stuffy, kept up very well especially considering its size and has a wonderful staff. The indoor pool was awesome - a rectangular stainless steel structure surrounded by a huge atrium with plenty of lounges and high tech work out gear. It was one of the nicest I have seen. The staff is wonderful and the parking although steep in price at $48 per day has in and out privileges and the car arrives at your service as soon as you arrive in the lobby. There is a convenience elevator into the lobby to accomidate strollers and wheelchairs and I recommend requesting a room close to that elevator and on the 2nd floor (where the pool is) if you are traveling with young children. There is also a Starbucks right in the hotel gift shop to supply great coffee and cupcakes/brownies for the kids and a wonderful concierge desk. The BEST part about the hotel is its proximity to all of the Washington DC sites. It is a short walk (around 4 blocks) to the Capitol, 6-8 blocks to the Mall where the museums are and 2 blocks from Union Station. The Big Bus tour also picks up and drops off right across the street.
With that said, if you are expecting a five star hotel this isn't it. If you are on a couples retreat and need complete silence (don't get me wrong the rooms were quiet but some people's expectations are unreasonable) this isn't the place for you either. There were some amazing rates at the St Regis and other Five star properties that might be mush more appealing to those types of travelers. This is a Hyatt equivalent to a Hilton or Marriott your average 3-4 star hotel so do bring your 3-4 star expectations. If that is what you are looking for you will be very happy.
The only drawbacks for me was that there was no tub in the room (shower only- tub may be available upon request not sure) and there was no ref but they do bring you a ref upon request at no additional charge. Internet is free in the lobby but costs $12.50 in the room even for Hyatt Club levels and is slow. The bell staff and valet staff stand around like vultures for tips and there is no tip sharing which makes the issue worse. They expect a tip in and out EVERY single time so do have some petty cash on hand. Also the restaurant is very steep in price (better off going to a good Steakhouse for the same price) but there is a great sandwich shop right across the street and other options at Starbucks in the giftshop. Think I covered all bases...overall wonderful stay :-))

Room Tip: for travel with kids ask for a room near the elevator that goes to the outside (there are two wings...
Green Features: Some of the rooms are hypo allergenic and I believe the hotel has been upgraded to make it a green building.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth B
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My family and I stayed at Hyatt Regency for a vacation weekend. The overall experience is very pleasant.
Location: it is located in the heart of Washington DC, a few blocks away from Union Station, Newseum and China town. Easy access to a lot of restaurants and pubs.
I ordered the room from Hotels.com, including a two people breakfast (kids half price of $11.99), costs me $139/night during the busy holiday season weekend. Parking is separate charge of $48/day. The room is decent size, comfortable. My room is in the corner of the building, so it is quiet.
Staff is very friendly and helpful. When I first checked in, there was a mistake of bedding for my room. Instead of getting a room with two double bed, I got a king size bed, which doesn't work for a family of four. But after I called the front desk, they correct the mistake immediately and delivered the key to me .
The breakfast buffet was good, a lot of varieties including an omelette station.
Overall the service and experience at Hyatt Regency was great. I will definitely stay there again during my next trip to DC.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family