“Nice hotel, somewhat sketchy neighborhood”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #71 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Newport Beach, California
“Nice hotel, somewhat sketchy neighborhood”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Hyatt Regency does a great job with service. We were initially put in a room with a view of a not so great area, so we asked if we could switch rooms. Unfortunately nothing was available, but the front desk woman felt so bad that she actually sent us up a bottle of wine! I thought that was very nice. The room was very comfortable and clean. The hotel was quiet upstairs. My only complaint is the walk to the "touristy" areas. You have to walk through a kind of sketchy area with a lot of homeless people who stalk you for money. If you take the main road next to the Capitol Bldg., you will be fine. I was very uncomfortable walking down E Street by myself.

It is an easy walk to all of the historical spots in D.C. We stayed here because my husband was involved in a convention here. If I were to come with family or friends, I would definitely stay closer to the White House.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Georgetown
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel for the past three years attending a meeting. It's always clean, quiet and reliable. The bed is always comfortable and the room is spacious. The only real drawback is the location. It's great if you're heading to the Capital, but there really aren't any dining or nightlife choices nearby. It's a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Metro, so I'd recommend a cap if you're heading out alone. Overall, good solid Hyatt.... I'll be back next year.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Bear, Delaware
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'm writing this review from my phone in my room with 4g at this moment because I absolutely refuse to pay 15 dollars a day for Internet. Seriously, is this 1995? They've somehow even prevented my laptop from connecting to my mobile hotspot. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in this hotel for a business trip and have not been pleased. I stayed in a king room where the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. (Bed too hard ;pillows with no substance slept with 3 of them) There was no fitted sheet on the bed so upon pulling down what I assume was a comforter (blanket with
sheet underneath and on top) all the sheets came down
with it exposing a bare
mattress. The view outside consisted of looking directly into a neighboring office building. .not what you'd hope for at $200 a night. Channel guide for TV is extremely hard to find. Pool area didn't have a jacuzzi and gym was disappointing. Everything is grossly overpriced, no breakfast unless you want to pay over 30 dollars. .for breakfast. I really expected more from a hyatt. Cleaning staff was very nice though. .Others had a pretentious attitude in the restaurant and check in areas.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank nikkiboko
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Hello nikkiboko,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. I am so sorry to hear about the many inconveniences you had with your guest room bedding and WiFi access. I have forwarded this information to our executive management and housekeeping management to follow up on and to ensure this does not happen in the future. I hope we will be able to welcome you back on your next trip to Washington D.C. Again, our sincerest apologies, feel free to contact our Guest Relations department if you would like to speak about this matter further.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
Spring Lake, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed 15 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

This hotel is very nice and conveniently located within walking distance to Capitol Hill. Everyone working at the hotel from reception to room service was very friendly. The room service food (from the highly rated restaurant located in the hotel) was delicious and well worth it if you don't want to leave the room.

The only cons:
- Pool area was neglected. There were no dry pool towels and the pool was not heated both times of day that I went - not ideal for wanting to swim in December.
- Around the block to the northwest is some sort of homeless shelter, that looked a bit seedy, so I would take a cab to get to museums in that direction, especially at night.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was very impressed with the service here - staff are friendly and willing to help with any needs that come up. I was trying to leave a day early and miss a big snowstorm - I worked with staff so didn't have to pay any early checkout penalty. The hotel is very close to Capitol Hill, so it's a convenient location if you're going for that purpose; however, while there are some solid breakfast places nearby, the restaurant selection nearby isn't as good as it is further to the west, closer to the White House. It's about four blocks from the nearest Metro rail station at Union Station. Taxis are generally lined up at the hotel entrance, so you can just walk out the door and get one very quickly.

The hotel has hypoallergenic rooms available for $30 more, which are great for allergy sufferers, for those allergic to feathers, dust and have reactions to chemically treated furniture. You can get free Internet in the lobby - I wish they had it for free in the rooms - $10 is a lot. The gym is the best I've seen at a hotel, not only with dumbbells, but a variety of weight machines, instead of one machine that is supposed to do everything. They also have a pool. The Hyatt has a restaurant and a bar, which have solid food, though overpriced like most restaurants in downtown hotels. The bar does have some good beers - they had both DC Brau and Flying Dog pale ales on tap while I was there, as well as Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA in bottles.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Greetings Richard B,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on your past stay at the Hyatt Regency Washington. We will be sure to thank and recognize our team members for the amazing service they provide. Thank you so much for your kind comments about them. We often hear enthusiastic remarks on the great location we offer and we are thrilled you chose this location for your travels. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Washington D.C.

Warm regards,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Overall decent hotel for Washington standards with the exception of two things. Charging for Internet in the room that did not work properly and the hotel breakfast was less than stellar. The hotel front desk was prompt and friendly and the rooms were well appointed to the Hyatt standard, though there was no mini bar. There was a mini fridge but what am I to do with that? The hotel elevators need to be updated as they run slow. As stated the breakfast was less than stellar for the amount paid. You can get a better breakfast elsewhere in DC. Close (walking distance) to Union Station as well as the Capitol and Supreme Court.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The interior of the rooms are slightly upgraded but not by much. Beds were not as comfortable as we had hoped. This isn't the first time that a Hyatt has disappointed us and its surprising considering the cost. Its in a great location but there is not much comfort to be had.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple