“Great service with average amenities ”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #76 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to the DC area. Work sent me this direction which held conferences at this hotel. Out of convenience, I booked my room here.

The photos online are a bit deceiving because they make the rooms look larger than they are. They are kept up really well and the staff is very friendly. I stayed six nights here paying $350 a night. It included the regency club access.

The regency club is your 'go-to' room for drinks, snacks and (depending on the time of day) appetizers, deserts and wine. Well worth it since it will save you some money on those amenities.

I've stayed in other hotels, paid less and got more from it that here. There are other choices in this area. If you plan your trip, you might want to consider other locations for different amenities.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (4,336)

Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I come to this hotel at least twice yearly for business on the Hill. We have seen many renovations and changes to the hotel over the past 13 years. The location to the Capitol and the Mall is very good. The rooms are structured for business stays - including a smaller bathroom, basic tub, very small sink area, business desk, standard king, flat screen tv.. As such the rooms are maintained and are very clean. We are Diamond members, so we were upgraded to the Regency Club Floor. The Regency Club is one of the best in the chain as far as the food and service. My husband and I travel all the time for business and pleasure and stay at many hotels (especially Hyatt's) and always upgrade to the Club/Lounge levels. However, this Hyatt's Regency presentations are the exception. The food offerings at this Hyatt are to be commended. I almost feel that it rivals any Ritz, Westin, Marriott, St. Regis, that I have been to and that is saying alot! It is one of the main reasons we continue to stay here even though our conferences are at other hotels. The lounge needs to be bigger however, as It is a bit crowded, and I wish they would open up to the room next to the lounge (as they did a few years ago). I would suggest allowing the wine to be set out on the counter (as it use to be) as it is difficult for the staff to attend to everyone, especially when it is so busy. However, I do not want this comment to deflect the fact that the food offerings are simply amazing. We stayed a total of 5 nights and each night the food offerings were different and special (shrimp and bacon wrapped scallops were unbelievable). This is a very important issue when booking a room for my husband and myself. We are doing business all day long and need a respite before going out to entertain colleagues for dinner. Kudo's Hyatt Capitol Hill for allowing us this fantastic Regency Club! I know that we have convinced several other conference attendees to stay here because of the Regency Club. If Hyatt only knew how much business we send them...oh well....I would also like to mention that the restaurant and bar downstairs are very nice. I had lunch at the restaurant on two occasions and breakfast once. We also met for drinks at the bar one night and felt that it was good. Again, if your focus in primarily on a business hotel this is the place for you. Request an upgrade to the Regency Club you will thank me for this recommendation...lol!

Just a little advice: If new to the area, be very careful in walking. DC can be safe on one block and not so safe on the next. There is a homeless shelter near by and it can be a concern for walking at night. Make sure and check with the Concierge if you are planning on doing any walking and they will guide you as to the safest routes to take. Union Station is within walking distance as well as the Capitol and the Mall. Request a room facing The Liaison Hotel as they are nicely located. Corner rooms have the best views. But most rooms look into opposite buildings. Not many views to be had.

Room Tip: Request a room on the higher floors. Upgrade to a Regency Club Level. Ask for rooms facing The Lia...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Always5Star
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The Hyatt Regency does a great job with service. We were initially put in a room with a view of a not so great area, so we asked if we could switch rooms. Unfortunately nothing was available, but the front desk woman felt so bad that she actually sent us up a bottle of wine! I thought that was very nice. The room was very comfortable and clean. The hotel was quiet upstairs. My only complaint is the walk to the "touristy" areas. You have to walk through a kind of sketchy area with a lot of homeless people who stalk you for money. If you take the main road next to the Capitol Bldg., you will be fine. I was very uncomfortable walking down E Street by myself.

It is an easy walk to all of the historical spots in D.C. We stayed here because my husband was involved in a convention here. If I were to come with family or friends, I would definitely stay closer to the White House.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a good view
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I've stayed at this hotel for the past three years attending a meeting. It's always clean, quiet and reliable. The bed is always comfortable and the room is spacious. The only real drawback is the location. It's great if you're heading to the Capital, but there really aren't any dining or nightlife choices nearby. It's a 10 to 15 minute walk to the Metro, so I'd recommend a cap if you're heading out alone. Overall, good solid Hyatt.... I'll be back next year.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'm writing this review from my phone in my room with 4g at this moment because I absolutely refuse to pay 15 dollars a day for Internet. Seriously, is this 1995? They've somehow even prevented my laptop from connecting to my mobile hotspot. I've had the unfortunate opportunity to stay in this hotel for a business trip and have not been pleased. I stayed in a king room where the bed and pillows were very uncomfortable. (Bed too hard ;pillows with no substance slept with 3 of them) There was no fitted sheet on the bed so upon pulling down what I assume was a comforter (blanket with
sheet underneath and on top) all the sheets came down
with it exposing a bare
mattress. The view outside consisted of looking directly into a neighboring office building. .not what you'd hope for at $200 a night. Channel guide for TV is extremely hard to find. Pool area didn't have a jacuzzi and gym was disappointing. Everything is grossly overpriced, no breakfast unless you want to pay over 30 dollars. .for breakfast. I really expected more from a hyatt. Cleaning staff was very nice though. .Others had a pretentious attitude in the restaurant and check in areas.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank nikkiboko
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello nikkiboko,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback on your most recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Washington D.C. I am so sorry to hear about the many inconveniences you had with your guest room bedding and WiFi access. I have forwarded this information to our executive management and housekeeping management to follow up on and to ensure this does not happen in the future. I hope we will be able to welcome you back on your next trip to Washington D.C. Again, our sincerest apologies, feel free to contact our Guest Relations department if you would like to speak about this matter further.

Safe Travels,

Drew D.-Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 15 February 2014

This hotel is very nice and conveniently located within walking distance to Capitol Hill. Everyone working at the hotel from reception to room service was very friendly. The room service food (from the highly rated restaurant located in the hotel) was delicious and well worth it if you don't want to leave the room.

The only cons:
- Pool area was neglected. There were no dry pool towels and the pool was not heated both times of day that I went - not ideal for wanting to swim in December.
- Around the block to the northwest is some sort of homeless shelter, that looked a bit seedy, so I would take a cab to get to museums in that direction, especially at night.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was very impressed with the service here - staff are friendly and willing to help with any needs that come up. I was trying to leave a day early and miss a big snowstorm - I worked with staff so didn't have to pay any early checkout penalty. The hotel is very close to Capitol Hill, so it's a convenient location if you're going for that purpose; however, while there are some solid breakfast places nearby, the restaurant selection nearby isn't as good as it is further to the west, closer to the White House. It's about four blocks from the nearest Metro rail station at Union Station. Taxis are generally lined up at the hotel entrance, so you can just walk out the door and get one very quickly.

The hotel has hypoallergenic rooms available for $30 more, which are great for allergy sufferers, for those allergic to feathers, dust and have reactions to chemically treated furniture. You can get free Internet in the lobby - I wish they had it for free in the rooms - $10 is a lot. The gym is the best I've seen at a hotel, not only with dumbbells, but a variety of weight machines, instead of one machine that is supposed to do everything. They also have a pool. The Hyatt has a restaurant and a bar, which have solid food, though overpriced like most restaurants in downtown hotels. The bar does have some good beers - they had both DC Brau and Flying Dog pale ales on tap while I was there, as well as Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA in bottles.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Greetings Richard B,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on your past stay at the Hyatt Regency Washington. We will be sure to thank and recognize our team members for the amazing service they provide. Thank you so much for your kind comments about them. We often hear enthusiastic remarks on the great location we offer and we are thrilled you chose this location for your travels. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Washington D.C.

Warm regards,