“It was OK - not stellar, not horrible”

Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersGold level
malawimike
“It was OK - not stellar, not horrible”
Reviewed 6 June 2010

Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Washington DC when my business facilitated a meeting for about 200 people. We organized everything and negotiated prices, etc. (this is important in explaining things below).

The room was as expected. Good size for DC, flat screen TV was nice, bathtub with shower and good water pressure, great iHome clock radio. It may just be me -- but all three nights the bedding (bottom sheet and mattress pad) did not stay in place and i kept waking up with my body on the actual mattress. I've never had that happen before, but it may just be me.

Fitness room is quite large and has everything and everything is clean and in good working order. It is combined with the pool area. Locker room for men had a private dry sauna. I am assuming the same was true for the women's locker room.

The meeting room space was just so-so. We reserved numerous rooms for break-out space, and we got shuffled a little bit. I don't know the back-story on that, so I can't explain why (it may have not been the hotel's fault). My biggest issue with the hotel was with the catered lunch. We had to have working lunches with our meeting, and our business will not allow us to pay for the lunches of the participants. The participants had to buy the bagged lunches catered by the hotel. Our business negotiated the cost of the lunches and did the best we could. Bagged lunches were $18 and included a turkey sandwich or a small salad or a veggie wrap. Each came with an apple and a bottle of water. Yes -- a turkey sandwich, an apple, and a bottle of water for $18. I complained, and told the catering that no one minds paying $18 for lunch (we were all getting reimbursements or per diem), and no one minds a sandwich with an apple and water for lunch, but paying $18 for such a small meal is nothing short of highway robbery. (I believe I told the woman in charge of catering that I questioned how she could sleep at night knowing she was charging such amounts for so little food). The following day they added a bag of chips and a cookie to the $18 meals, but not sure if our contracted meeting organizers had to pay for that extra food. I took pictures of the lunch and promised to post on trip advisor, so I encourage you to take a look at what I posted.

Other than that, all was fine. Great location, and courteous staff. I never got my newspaper at my door, as I had requested. Not sure what was up with that. I asked all three days to no avail -- one front desk clerk said it had to do with the way the reservation block of rooms was made.

BTW: if you are in a wheelchair you may want to check with the hotel about access. I am sure they are ADA compliant, but immediately after walking in the front door are stairs and escalator going down (no elevator). Not sure where access is for people in a wheelchair, so you may want to check.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Metz, France
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Positive Points
- Perfect location (if attending to visit the National Mall and all related museums, memorials, etc.), also close to Union Station

Negative Points
- Location at night: unsecure walking at night + lake of night life and nice/reasonable restaurants (i.e. no fast food restaurant).
- Front entrance: noisy cars (radio), Valet staff should be trained on the how to present and be polite
- Cleanliness: Dust everywhere (in the room, in common places), dirty towels.
- Room: very old, cleanliness concern, old fashioned AC, blocked bath-tub, mirror up the WC.
- Noise everywhere: in the room, inside the main entrance (breakfast, bar, restaurant). Especially in the room: AC noise, door slams noise, corridor noise, etc.
- Old menu in the room (for room service ordering)
- No refrigerators, but an ice machine available 24h (which is not usefull when you want to store medicines that must be conserved under 28 deg centigrade)

Negative points linked to the boutique/us hotel :
- we must always tip everybody, even when service was from a poor quality
- Untrained waiters always refill your cup of coffee and glass of juice every minute: they do not leave you drink in peace and there is a real waste of food as you cannot drink all the quantity they are continuoustly refilling. They take back your plate even if your spouse hasn't finished, and bring you the check before the end of the dinner (giving the impression that they just want you to pay and leave quickly, and if you want a desert...it is no more possible)
- We figured out that room services can be ordered & eated at the bar for less tax that in the room..
- The Restaurant is really not quite: situated in the main entrance at the breakfast place (dust everywhere), the place is cold, noisy (during the week-end there are permanent in & out), waiter take people for idiot by recommanding beef when salmon was asked (see the logic). Food was not bad, but it's not worth the money regarding the place.

Reviewed 30 May 2010

My wife and I stayed here May 8~11. The staff were very friendly and helpful. My room was on the top floor 11th and is spacious, clean and quiet. The location is excellent, you can walk to lots of major attractions and 2-minute to metro / Amtrak station. We feel very safe as it is close to Capitol Hill and you always see lots of police cars around. I definitely will stay there again.

1 Thank liketravel101
las vegas
Reviewed 26 May 2010

we stayed from may 20-23. they allowed us to check in early since i got there around 9 am although they were not able to give me the king size bed i originally booked but gave us double beds. we didn't mind cause we needed a room for our belongings and needed to freshen up after a long flight. the room was clean and the bedsheets were clean and soft. bed was comfortable as well as the feather pillows. there was a baby next door and we could hear her in the middle of the night crying which means to say that they do not have good insulation/sound proof room at the hyatt. the carpet seemed a bit dirty, it was old and needed to be replaced. i didn't walk barefoot on that carpet as i work in the medical field and know what kind of bacteria are lurking on carpets especially hotel carpets. the bathroom was clean and tidy, although the floor was a bit sticky probably from the solution they use to clean the floor. there is a homeless shelter in the back of the hotel so be careful walking there especially at night. union station was 5 minutes away which has lots of restaurants/shops inside. eating at the hotel is a joke. very expensive and not that good. you'd be better off eating at the union station. the lobby of the hotel is very nice but as i've read in all the other reviews, the rooms were kind of old and needs renovation. staff gave us take out menus since we took a long nap and didnt wake up till 12 am so everything was closed. just ask the front desk plus its cheaper than their bar food. we rode the old town trolley and it was fantastic. the drivers gave lots of history and fun facts about DC and we pretty much toured DC in that 4 days we were there. the trolleys are hop on hop off and it covered the important places you should visit there including arlington cementary in VA. We enjoyed DC and would go back there again.

Bolivia, NC
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I can't think of anything negative to write about our stay! You never know when you book online what you might get but we have absolutely no complaints. The food in the restaurant was wonderful, the hotel staff was courteous and helpful, our room was perfect, and the location was within walking distance of most of the attractions that we wanted to see. And boy, did we do a lot of walking!!!

San Diego, CA
Reviewed 25 May 2010

Still a comfortable hotel to stay at. Rooms are decent and resembles a typical Hyatt recent renovation property. The location is fantastic to the mall. Breakfast is a little expensive but you may find it is so filling you won't need lunch. I got my room + breakfast buffet for $140, a great value (Hyatt site, AAA rate).

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Location, location, location. If you are traveling with teenagers on a holiday weekend, as we were, I would 110% suggest to book a suite on a discount website. The one-bedroom suite with a pull out bed or a two-bedroom suite is your best bet. The room service was absolutely fabulous. However, the pool is NOT what it looks like from the pictures. It has a metal bottom, is industrial, tiny, and COMPLETELY overoccuapancy. As you can see, it's not a spa. The locker rooms ajacent to the pool need to be renovated. NOW. The showers are a disgrace. The steamroom was broken. If you don't want to swim with 50 splashing children in a pool the size of my bathtub, don't stay here. The dining area in the lobby, below the escalators also needs to be overhauled. The food was not good at all, and was not a welcoming atmosphere. However, the gift shop is wonderful, as is the huge ballroom complex underneath. I have been to events down there which have been very nice. My kids loved playing on the escalators. For example, their favorite pasttime is walking up the down escalators, etc. No exaggeration. Hotel parking was OUTRAGEOUS at $45 dollars a night. You can park a block away for $25 a night. Overall, this is a business class hotel overrun by families during the school season.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family