“Consistently Marriot”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #65 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I stayed at this property several years ago and was extremely happy so I booked a room again. It was just as nice as before. Cozy and clean room with a great view of the Washington Monument. I love the indoor pool for kids and the workout center has everything I need and room to spare. The concierge was very helpful even though we didn't end up booking the sight-seeing tour we were considering. I also like the ability to print our boarding passes from the lobby. Great location too.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room facing the Washington Monument.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for JW Marriott Washington, DC

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Washington is one of my favorite cities and I love when work takes me there. I try to find hotels near a Metro stop. JW Marriott was only a five minute walk from the Metro Center station and was easily accessible from Reagan National Airport (DCA). This hotel has a Pennsylvania Avenue address and is very close to the Whitehouse.

Check in was very easy. I was thanked for my platinum status with Marriott and was given a king sized bed on the concierge level. The attendant gave me both the welcome amenity and the points that platinum members receive at check in since it was my first time. Apparently this JW Marriott was the "flagship JW." This is an old building but is kept up very well. My bed was amazingly comfortable and had all of the upper crust touches that all JW's have.

I was only in town for about 18 hours but really enjoyed my stay. I didn't eat in the restaurants though I did grab some cookies from the concierge lounge. It seemed to be very well appointed.

Freedom Plaza is across the street from the hotel. A night time occupy DC protest/hippie march was taking place during my stay. It was a very peaceful display of our first ammendment.

Loved this hotel. Would definitely stay here again. 4.5 stars.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank InNYfromGA
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Our room was on the sixth floor, facing the courtyard. We rarely heard any sounds, which was great because we were traveling with our 3 yr old grandson. The staff was outstanding, courteous and helpful, especially Papa, the doorman! He is great with kids!
The room had two double beds, small, but comfy!! The Hotel needs to look for more ways to be family friendly, counters in bathrooms too high for them, some very sharp edges, it might help their image by offering activities booklets, crayons,etc., I am sure little things might go a long ways in attracting repeat customers. We did ask for a small refrigerator, and it came up very quickly to the room. The in room dining was excellent, cleaning staff friendly and obliging. We did use the pool (indoor) and the spa, loved it!
The hotel is well situated in DC for getting to the Smithsonian Museums, the Capitol building is a long mile and a half walk, restaurants were easy to find. The White House was almost next door!
Overall, we enjoyed our six night stay and wish to thank all the staff for making our trip most enjoyable!

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view...little or no traffic noise or even noise from other guests!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2012

We stayed here for four nights in the middle of hurricane Sandy. We felt very safe with an inner court window and the hotel assured us they had generators should the power go out. It was a great place to have a hurricane party in your room. I had stocked up on snacks and drinks at the local CVS and the liquor store next door was the only thing open the day DC was shut down. We arrived prior to check-in time and our room was ready. The staff was very pleasant although I was not impressed with the connoisseur I knew more about the Capital Hill Market days and open times by looking on the internet and how to get there by Metro than she did. We were here for business but because the hotel is so conveniently located near the Washington DC attractions (White house, Smithsonian, Old Postoffice, great restaurants, metro station) we were able to walk or take the metro to places when we had a break. I recommend the Phillips Flagship restaurant on the waterfront if you want lots of seafood for a reasonable price. The market at Capital Hill was also a great experience. We took the metro there to have breakfast and were back in time for our 9:30am meeting. They have a cafe in the market which is famous for their crab benedict and grits. I choose to get a pint of fresh shucked oysters and have them for breakfast (sounds gross but was very tasty and can't get fresh seafood like that where I live). The food at the hotel restaurant and bar is over priced.

The hotel gives you robes which is a plus for going to the pool or spa. The elevators took some getting used, especially if you got into one without pressing the outer button. There was no place inside the elevator to indicate your floor. You punch in your floor outside the elevator doors and it tells you which elevator to take. Warning-watch out for the refrigerator bar and snacks on the desk. We were not told at check-in they were motion sensitive nor were there any signs so we had a large charge on out bill at check-out for opening the refrigerator door and touching the snack tray which they did remove at our request.

If you want to be within walking distance to the sights of DC or need shelter in a hurricane, this hotel is the place to be.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2012

This was our first experience with a JW Marriott. We got a good rate with a Marriott Rewards special that they were running over the summer. So we booked it for November. The hotel was very conveniently located to all of the tourist attractions; White House, Smithsonian Museums, Memorials, and Monuments as well as numerous restaurants and stores. Also near many government office buildings and a couple of Metro stations. The hotel was large but staff was very friendly. The room was a standard city hotel size and the bathroom was on the small size. There were just two of us so the size was fine. The beds were comfortable and everything was very clean. We had a room on the 10th floor overlooking a courtyard and it was very quiet. I had requested a quiet room and this room was. The only annoyance were some inconsiderate hotel guests that let their doors bang shut. (Why can't people take an extra second and guide the door shut quietly?) We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant the first morning. It was very good but way overpriced. The next couple of mornings we walked up the street to the Corner Bakery cafe. A much better value and good food. We did eat one dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was very good. Prices comparable to any of the nicer restaurants around. We also had drinks and apps in the bar. They had Happy Hour prices during the week which was a good value. Try the flatbread..it was delicious. If the price were right we would stay here again as the location is perfect for exploring all the DC has to offer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KLGB
Reviewed 9 November 2012

My overall rating is a 4 1/2. It is located across from the White house and within walking distance to many attractions. Staff was very courteous. Atmoshpere is a little sterile but no different from many downtown hotels. Best steak and eggs I have ever had from room service.

Room Tip: Ask for a Murphy Bed room. Pull down queen is comfortable and you get the bonus of a very large roo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We spent three nights at the JW Marriott and were extremely impressed with this hotel. Its location is perfect for exploring all Washington has to offer and the staff and level of service were excellent. Min and Mylene on reception deserve a particular mention for their wonderful welcome and attentive service throughout our stay. Our room, on the 8th floor was a little on the small size, but clean and well appointed with a great view,. The hotel has an excellent, well equipped gym, nice pool (though the water was a little cloudy during our stay) and jacuzzi. Our only complaint would be the lack of free WiFi in the rooms (free in the lobby only) which seems quite petty for a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family