“Excellent location, superior staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #65 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Raleigh NC
“Excellent location, superior staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

I recently attended a conference in Washington DC and stayed in the JW Marriott. The location is amazing! Standing on the corner, look left and see the Capitol; look right and see the Washington Monument.

Because of the limited parking situation, you are immediately greeted by a valet offering to assist you. They automatically put your bags on a cart and escort you to the Front Desk. This was my third trip to this property and each time they've welcomed me appreciatively. The bellman who helped me to my sleeping room was courteous, professional, and helpful. He made sure that I knew where to find everything and even changed the time on the clock when he noticed it hadn't automatically, "sprung forward."

I love the bar and bar staff! Jonathan has been there during each of my visits and actually remembers what I drink. "Pinot Noir, ma'am?" Seriously? He must see thousands of people each week. Impressive! If you're not sitting at the the bar, it takes a little time to find a staff member to help you, but not an aggravatingly long time. There are lots of TVs, which is nice because I'm always there during March Madness.

My room was very attractive. There was a thin layer of dust on everything, though, as if that particular room hadn't been occupied for a long time. Even the mini-bar snack items looked like they had been there too long. I asked for a higher floor and ended up with two double beds. This would have been fine, as I was traveling alone, but the beds were hard and not comfortable. The bathroom amenities were good. The shower items were left IN the shower with a washcloth. LOVE that. I had room service one night and it was delivered very quickly and still hot. Having an option with lots of vegetables was very nice.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the room service items are left in the hall way too long. I left my tray on my desk and the housekeeping staff must have left it outside my door. It stayed there until the next evening, almost 24-hours. This seemed to be the case all along the hall.

Overall, I love staying in this hotel. Mostly because of its location, but the staff is wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor, outward-facing room.
1 Thank PlannerRaleighNC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Watertown, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

So - I am a loyal marriott person and get to travel a bit for work so I've stayed at a few JW marriott hotels now as well as a bunch of Renaissance hotels. They say this is their flagship hotel for the JW Marriott brand, I'd have to disagree.

Service at the front desk was not that great. The young lady that greeted seemed put out with my questions about breakfast and switching cards to pay for the rooms. Sorry if I inconvenienced you on the job by asking a couple questions.

Good thing is the view - we had a great view from the 14th floor. Inside the room it could use a sprucing up as a lot of the veneer on the desk was coming off and pieces were literally on the floor. Room was decent size, but bathroom was pretty tiny, but no big deal.

Concierge lounge was closed, but they had a breakfast setup in the lobby which was decent and well staffed. Coffee was one of the best I've had in a lounge lately.

I'd stay here again, but only after trying out the other marriotts in the area - which there are a lot!

Stay was fine - but not the level I was expecting to be honest. Marriott - if this is your flagship, make it so.

Room Tip: Ask for a high, outward facing room. We had room 1409 - see photo for view. Street noise can be some...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SMR_2
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 26 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the JW Marriott Washington DC. I apologize for not meeting your expectations, which are more than reasonable. Our associates strive to be open to requests and questions and thoughtful about how they provide information we can use to improve your experience.

The JW Marriott Washington is the very first of the JW Marriott branded hotels in the world and is proudly called The Flagship by our dedicated associates. Today JW Marriott is one of the fastest growing luxury brands in the world with locations in thirty eight countries. We measure guest satisfaction against these great hotels and are eager to earn your loyalty when you stay in Washington DC.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Staff is very nice. They didnt honor my king bed request but two doubles was fine for me. Entrance is pretty. Staff is great, bar is nice. The housekeeping service was excellent.
If you get a great rate, stay there. If money wasn't a concern I would stay at the Willard or the W.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Stephheel
Braintree, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I am a Marriott guy. I stay in about a hundred Marriott properties a year. I am sorry to say this one really didn't cut it for me. It has a great location, but other than that it lacked in many ways. The room is nothing to write home about. I really wasn't pleased that the only curtain that could be closed was the thin linen curtain. This really made privacy a challenge. I had dinner in the restaurant one night and frankly the food just wasn't very good. Then this morning I received my pre ordered breakfast late and with sausage instead of bacon and no to go cup for the coffee both of which I had not time to remedy. I really would have expected more based on the nightly rate and the fact that Marriott referees to this property as the "Flagship JW Marriott". I have stayed in far better.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank alpinemillers
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for providing this feedback. I apologize for the late and inaccurate breakfast order. Asa frequest traveler myself I understand how important it is to get it right the first time. Thank you for your loayalty to Marriott. I hope that should you return to Washington DC you will consider us again and feel comfortable reaching out to me before you arrive to look after your stay.

Dan McKeon Resident Manager
JW Marriott Washington DC
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

The room was nice and clean and the beds were comfortable. The noise level was pretty good, occasionally I could hear someone turning on their shower. Our room faced a brick wall so there was no sound from the street. WiFi was $12.95 a day, which seems a little ridiculous for the price of the room when even the most basic hotels don't charge for WiFi. The mini-bar system was terrible. The fridge was motion-sensored, which is the norm I suppose but there was lots of space in it so we put things in the fridge (milk for cereal) and that tripped the sensor and we were charged for the items. We were told we could have requested a fridge, but that seems silly too and of course it doesn't say that anywhere. They also have a "mini-bar" on the desk, with snacks and I think some liquor, but that was just sitting on the desk so if anything got moved it would trip the sensor again. We were travelling with small children, of course things got knocked over. They did remove the charges but again, it shouldn't just be sitting out in the open. The pool was nice, however it seemed to close for random times in the middle of the day with no notice or sign telling you when it would reopen. We didn't use the gym but it was attached to the pool and looked quite big with fairly new equipment. It was open 24/7.

The location was fantastic. It is a short walk to the white house and a number of the smithsonian museums. It's about 15 blocks from the capitol and union station.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank doah88
Reading
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Stayed for 4 nights on business. Very well appointed and every amenity available. Staf was extremely helpful. It is located within a block of the White House and 1-2 blocks off the National Mall. Metro station 1.5 blocks away. Had a great stay, just a bit pricey!

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

This is the highest end hotel that Mariott offers, and I was incredibly unimpressed. The Good qualities of the hotel were that there was a good breakfast buffet, good location, and a pretty nice staff of people, from the maids to the concierges. However, do not let this fool you into thinking this is a good hotel. In your rooms, you will receive a very basic setup with a cooler (one that was broken in my case, which could have been easily fixed) filled with drinks that if one were to consume, he or she would be charged obscenely, and this is the same with a small snack stand. If you don't believe, it costs $8 for a small can of Pringles! On the same note, the Mariott family has apparently not moved on to the 21st century, as for 24 hours of internet connection in the rooms, it costs $13 where it is free in the lobby, which makes little sense. It seemed that the company was trying to charge for every little novelty individually, despite the fact that it is supposed to be a luxury hotel and the room fee is already enormous; as is the $40 per day and $40 per night parking fee. If you desire a luxury hotel, go to another place such as the Intercontinental across the street. These same services can also be purchased for a much smaller price as well, so it is truly just a huge effort to take every penny that you have.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family