“Standard large corporate hotel”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #64 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Standard large corporate hotel”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

I reluctantly shifted here from a boutique hotel nearby due to availability issues. The difference was huge and not in a great way. This hotel caters to business folks and large groups who need to travel together and may be have a wedding celebration. Everything is very convenient with a Starbucks onsite, programmed elevators, shuttle bus stops. But the hotel is largely unmemorable. As some other reviewers say, this hotel is about scale and efficient operations and not much on personal service. (Something you go to a boutique hotel for.)

I don't have any complaints, but I don't really remember much about the room or the stay, except to say that the bed and pillows were very comfortable and the blackout blinds were great to enjoy a lie in.

The best thing here is that I got my room for under $130 on Priceline. At that price I was ok with my first JW Marriott stay. Thinking back, I've stayed at a plain ol' Marriott in NYC which I think of more highly than this one.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stevio_1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (680)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
oklahoma
Reviewed 19 June 2013

This was my first time staying here. Although the stay was free (I was in town on business) given a choice I would not stay here again.This hotel was beautiful, clean, and customer service was wonderful. My complaints: it was way too crowded, for $200 a night my room and bathroom could have been bigger. I had to walk all the way into the bathroom and hide on one side of the toliet just to get the door closed.This hotel had the smallest room and bathroom I've ever been in and I've been to a lot of hotels. The bed and pillows were great, but from my room I could hear everything going on in the hallway. We had to vallet our car and that was a pain. $42 a night for vallet parking (again I didn't pay for any of this) but it was such a hassel just to be able to leave the hotel. Anyone who has been to DC knows traffic is always horrible. Next time I'll stay out of the city and stick with comfort inn.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank C K
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

When I first entered the hotel, it appeared very much like every other JW Marriott I have stayed out. A bit of luxury In the appearance of the lobby. When I went to the reception desk to check in, I was handled quickly but treated like a number. Given that I am the highest level of
Marriott member, I found this disheartening. They asked me if I'd ever stayed at this hotel and I told them no. Not once did they offer to assist me with anything. When I went to the gym to workout, I was quickly Questioned by an assistant what I wanted. When I told her I was looking for ear buds, she showed me where they were but suggested with her body language that I must be stupid. The rooms are actually a bit small, although the view is beautiful.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Shabotd
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past. Check in was fast and I was able to check in early. However, customer service poor. The receptionist was condescending and asked my husband if he needed a room. As a gold member--I expected a better room--at least what I have had before. Poor room choice. Overall disappointed with customer service, in addition no information about the lounge or hours of operation. Not happy, thinking of cutting this stay short and switching hotels. I've stayed at Marriotts around the world including several US locations. I choose Marriott because of the high level of courteous customer service. Very disappointed. Management, please work on improving this. JW use to be my favorite in DC.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Madison_Rocket
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for your candid feedback! I'm very sorry we did not take better care of you while you were with us. We will use your feedback to guide and develop our people to serve at the level you expect. Please contact me the next time you are heading to DC and I'll work to make sure we remain your favorite hotel!

Dan McKeon

Resident Manager and former Kenner, LA resident too!
Schweinfurt, Germany
Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

Right around the corner from the White House & from the main sites! Their breakfast buffet is soo good (especially the omelet station) but expensive. The receptionist/valet were extremely helpful and kind!

• Stayed May 2013
Clarksburg, Maryland
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I saw several reviews that were not overly positive about this hotel and I agree with them. The location is great but the hotel, even after a major renovation, is just okay. For the prices I expected more WOW factor. Parking at $49 per day is steep along with the room prices. The desk staff was pleasant but it is just not presented as well as I would expect for a JW. I would go across the street to the Willard next time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Doug W
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Best quality and service of any hotel in Washington, DC.
Very central for sightseeing of the White House (much smaller than you think) Abraham Lincoln monument and Capital Hill.
Shopping not too far away either.
You can't beat JW Marriott service and style.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a corner executive suite on 15th floor. Great views.