“Expected better”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Gilbert, Arizona
“Expected better”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Having stayed at multiple JW's over the years, the Washington DC location was less than what I expected. Fixtures in the bath were rusty. Housekeeping apparently not detail oriented as demonstrated by a large lump of black hair on the shower wall we found that evening. Staff was pleasant, but the place needs a makeover.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 December 2013

I recently stayed a here the weekend before Christmas on a trip. I was excited to finally stay in a J.W. Marriott (I think their top brand or at least one of them). My expectations were high and unfortunately they were not met.The hotel lobbies and common areas were all very nice, it was the rooms I was disappointed with. I usually request a room with a king bed but I was informed when I checked in there were only rooms with double beds available. They were able to supply a mini-fridge though which is always a bonus. The room was a little dated with obvious signs of wear and tear, But the biggest issue for me was gap between the door and floor. I could sit right into the hallway, and also hear everything in the hallway. There were a group of people staying together on the floor and were walking the hall most of night and I could hear almost every conversation, My second night I actually put a towel across the floor by the door to eliminate the noise and view into my room. My review rating would have been worst had it not been for the hotel's location (near a bunch of theaters and restaurants) and friendly staff. I am think I would try another hotel in the area the next time I stay in DC based on my perceived value. I also hate paying for internet, which you have to pay for here as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SCCam94
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I almost always stay here on my several trips a year to D.C. The location sells it every time. A cab ride from Reagan is usually extremely quick, even when there is heavy traffic, and the jaunt from the hotel to the White House is a breeze. My favorite restaurant in D.C. is Old Ebbitt Grill, even closer than the White House.

My experiences there have almost always been excellent, from the staff to the accommodations to the food. My only complaint is the lack of free Internet connection. What on earth are these hospitality experts doing by not providing this basic service to their clientele, who are paying extremely high prices? I just don't get it and I complain vigorously every time. But I still return. Can't beat the location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The location of this property is a big plus if you are planning to see some sights. The room was nice if a bit small. Requested a king bed but was given two doubles. Staff offered free internet ($12/day) for the inability to provide request. The breakfast buffet is a stiff $30 - which - come on…that's an insane charge. Small charges here and there are beginning to become standard at these properties, and it's turning up the annoyance factor. Their elevators take some getting used to, requested and received late checkout but then are access cards failed to function after they processed them. Requested a fork, and desk said I could go get one myself from the restaurant or they would bring one up. Made the latter choice but it took forever and a call down to ask when I would be getting it.

Room Tip: If you have the extra cash to spend than by all means stay here. If not, or you want to use your fu...
Green Features: They provide a PLASTIC bag to place recyclables in. The window in my room and the surrounding sill and wall area were extremely cold, indicating poor insulation. CFL's were used in the room, a plus. Not sure if there is a low-flow head in the shower.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I am torn on this property because in some ways it is really great and in some ways it is just average...I guess I expect a bit more from a JW Marriott, but there are some really great points to this hotel.

The Good:
Location! Walkable to so many things (although I was there for conference in a snowstorm so I didn't get to venture out much). Metro around the corner. Just a really great home base.

Staff! Really friendly staff, which I think makes a big difference.

The Eh:
Wear and Tear. Furnishings, etc. could use a bit of an update. It's starting to show its age.

The Bar. While the restaurant had good food, I was not impressed with the offerings at the bar.

The Elevator Situation. I'm not entirely convinced those new-fangled elevators get you anywhere any faster. And if you get in the elevator and change your mind (you decide to stop by the lobby before going down to the gym floor for example)...too bad! You have to fully get out and then choose your floor again (no buttons inside the elevator). This is definitely not the end of the world, just an observation.

All in all, there's nothing really "bad" about this hotel per se...I can just see little areas for improvement and then they'd really knock it out of the park.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Had a wonderful stay could not find anything wrong with this hotel. The doormen, front desk and house keeping were all top notch. The Willard was right across the street so we treated ourselves to a really nice breakfast buffet. We were invited to tour the WH so location could not be beat, just a short walk down the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Washington Monument
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Indiana
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Hotel is nice... Don't get me wrong. JW toiletries and bedding etc. The rooms are small but the bathroom is where this hotel really lacks. The bathrooms are so small for a "luxury" it is almost comical. Health club is excellent. Large with new equipment. I am a huge Marriott fan but this was just "okay".

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple