“bad service at the breakfast grill!”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #66 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
“bad service at the breakfast grill!”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Hotel is ok, location is great! (I thoght though JW would be higher standard...)
We were nicely invited, the food was great, the server was nice but the cook (woman) at the omlett station was terrible. Very rude! Not even mentioning lacking smile... the woman before me asked for swiss chese which was brought from back room for her, when I asked for the same chese I wads given the regular yellow cheddar which I hate... I did even know what was going on...
Info for hotel manager: saturday, may 10th, 10am.
Thanks!

Room Tip: Good location, enjoy!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Hello,

Thank you for joining us for breakfast in the Avenue Grill. I apologize for the negative service that you experienced with our omelet cook. As the JW Marriott Washington DC we strive to leave our guests with positive experiences that create lasting memories. A smile, kindness, and attentiveness to details go a long way, and I apologize again that you did not receive this type of service. I encourage you next time you are in the area to stay with us once again and we will make sure your next experience is a positive one.

Best Regards,

Dan Mckeon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
New York
Reviewed 10 May 2014

The location is perfect and centrally located in Washington, DC. The location is fantastic to view all DC has to offer, museums, White House, ect...

I absolutely love visiting DC and this hotel is ideal. Similar to other JW brands in metro cities, the atmosphere is classic. My experience with the staff has always been pleasant.

The views from the rooms are wonderful.

Would return and recommend to my network.

Room Tip: Ask to face Pennsylvania Avenue
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This JW Marriott is in a great location and provides excellent service. I was there for a professional conference. As a Gold Elite member I had access to their 7 day a week Concierge lounge which had a fabulous breakfast spread. My bed was super comfortable!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Kew Gardens, New York
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Based on the JW name and lcoation I expected much better. I received average. On a recent getaway trip for a few days, I stayed solo at this top line Marriott hotel. It was not top line. My room with the view - and the friendly professionalism of the breakfast server Thanh - the day of my departure were the only redeeming values. The hotel has a location of convenience but has the same quality of furnishings I found in a Courtyard in Oklahoma City 4 years ago. The lobby welcomes you on a grand scale with elegant chandeliers - but the room was small and again with only average furnishings. The lobby furnishings and carpets are well worn.

I wanted a quiet few days away. I was stationed next to a family with children who woke me up the next morning - JUST BEFORE the Run for the Cure began. Does the desk staff not know this is going on?

The worst - the bathroom was not clean, in my estimation. There was women's black hair all over the bath floor - at the commode, behind the door, under the vanity. The late night housekeepers came to view - but neither brought a mop or broom and did not return. Even worse - the next day there was hair on the towels. Clearly the housekeepers need hair nets.

The day supervisor tried to appease with a free card for breakfast. The breakfast was cold. Yes, cold eggs, cold/lukewarm bacon. Only the breakfast server - Thanh redeemed that experience with friendliness, attentive to coffee service and pleasant conversation.

On matters of service, I asked two simple questions of the concierge. Two different staff on different days. Where is a Target store? Where is a Neiman Marcus? Neither staff knew where either was and had to look them up. Neither were familiar with the METRO system in DC. Shouldn't the concierge of a 4 star hotel know where a Neiman Marcus is located? Shouldn't you know where the one and only Target store is in the District?

I won't even delve into the discussion I had with a front desk manager Anthony which left me more frustrated.

Much attention is needed so that the cleanliness, the details, decor and service match the chandeliers and the location. I was very displeased at the price paid - and had I paid the standard rates I would have been outraged.

Room Tip: View the room before registering
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your stay was not what you had hoped for, as we certainly strive to make it so.

There is no excuse for the lack of cleanliness in the rooms and for that I apologize. We are always looking for ways up update our hotel; in fact we have a scheduled room’s renovation in the fall which is a high priority for this hotel. .

Also, I understand the frustration when traveling and not getting the best recommendations. I have addressed this issue with my concierge team.

If business or pleasure takes you back to Washington DC, please contact me and allow me to ensure a great experience.

Thank you for your feedback.
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel location is fantastic! You are really close to all the attractions (museums, etc). Staff very friendly and very helpful. Restaurant service and executive lounge service was good.
It was a good experience.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This JWMarriot is beautiful hotel in a great location for all the points of interest in town

Great appointed guest room, but very small bathroom. Excellent friendly staff
Parking is expensive with tax a to $50.00 per night beware.

Room Tip: If you are Marriot member a room with view of the Washington Monument is unreal .Try to stay in one
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lewis T
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great Hotel...the Flagship of the JW Marriott Line. Wonderful accommodations and service, especially the parking valets.

I am a Life Platinum and was upgraded to Room 1575. This is on the top floor and faces south
toward the Ronald Reagan Building, the Washington Monument, etc. Many of the best sites in DC are right in front of you.

The room is a King with enough extra space to put a rollaway if you need it. If you can't get this room, ask for another high xx75 room.

Room Tip: pick a high floor on the south side
Green Features: the hotel has the standard Marriott environmental practices