“Great Experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This past weekend, I took my 10-year old granddaughter to Washington D.C. for a birthday weekend and we stayed at the J.W. Marriott. The location was perfect. It was a short walk to the Smithsonian Museums, the White House, the monuments, shopping and wonderful restaurants. When asked by the front desk the reason for our visit and telling them about the birthday trip, the staff went out of their way to make my granddaughter's visit special, including bringing up a plate of desserts with a birthday card signed by about 10 of the staff members. She is already talking about a trip back next year and I can't imagine staying anywhere else.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We are going to Washington DC every April or May from last five years. We stay at this property every time and we live it. very nice location on 14th street and Pennsylvania ave. All visiting places walking distance and nice restaurants are also walking distance. We also get vegetarian choices in all restaurants. My favorites is Mediterranean, Indian and Italian were we get lot of choices and very near. We usevally stay in room number 831 or 731 or 931. This time we stayed in 1131 but I personally like little lower floor better. Rooms are big, clean and very nice view of white house loan, Pennsylvania ave. and monuments. Staff is some time very nice and some time very very bed. This time we got lucky and got nice receptionist and housekeeping staff was good.

Room Tip: Room on Pennsylvania and 14th street corner rooms. My favorite is 731 or 831 or 931.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This is a centrally located hotel with close proximity (walking distance) to most sites. It's right down the street from the White House, the mall and all of the Smithsonian museums. There are often parades and large public gatherings that take place on a large square out front of the hotel. O(n my last visit there, it was Emancipation Day. There were marching bands, and different groups marching in a parade, as well as concerts on the main stage on the square. The hotel is clean, and comfortable, and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Wyoming
Reviewed 11 May 2014

The location of this hotel to the White House, restaurants and shopping is ideal. All, other than shopping, are within walking distance. All employees were extremely helpful. Shoe-shiner on the main level did an outstanding job for a fair price.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed 10 May 2014

This hotel is the perfect hotel for any visit to DC. The convenient location next to the subway system is a definite plus. Lots of restaurants and shopping within walking distance. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly. The hotel could definitely use updating though. Some new furniture and a coat of paint would go a long way to making this hotel really nice. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 10 May 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for a legislative conference. It is a great location but we were unfortunately on the 1st floor facing 14th & Penn intersection. On the 1st floor, you can hear all the street traffic. At about 4 AM, the taxi cabs started to line up just below were our room was located. The bellhops have WHISTLES to blow to get cab drivers attention. So we were awake all night with traffic noise & then further kept awake by a whistle of all things. The whistle should be banned until about 10AM!! We felt like we got zero sleep on this week long trip. Ask for a higher floor!!!

Room Tip: Do NOT get anything below floor 7 if you want to get any sleep. Say Hell No to room 129!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank cassiopeia10
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry your stay was not what you had hoped for, as we certainly strive to make it so. I can certainly understand how the noise from outside would keep you up at night. Please accept my apologies for this inconvenience.

We will use your feedback to encourage our front desk team to better inform our guests of any possible noise restrictions.

Please contact me if you return to Washington and allow me to set aside a more comfortable room for your next stay.

Kind Regards,
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I'm generally a big fan of the Marriott chain. I looked forward to our stay at the JW Marriott in DC. Upon arrival, I was impressed with the location. This hotel is central to all things tourist and food in DC. Literally a 5 minute walk to the Washington Monument or the White House. If I were basing this review solely on location, I would give it a big fat 5 STARS!!! We did take advantage of the indoor pool. The rooms were nice and clean. Service was friendly. We did like the futuristic elevators noted by other reviewers.

However, there were a couple things that disappointed me about this hotel.

First, the pillows at this Marriott were not what I have come to expect at other Marriott Hotels. The pillows were marginal at best and reminiscent of a cheap motel. I could not get a good night's rest in the 3 nights we stayed. The pillows were just plain awful.

Second, the valet service was such an inconvenience. I'm not going to complain about the $50/day valet rate as that is expected in a city like DC. The attendants at valet explained to us upon arrival that our car would take up to 20 minutes for retrieval and the information was clearly noted on our ticket stub. They give you a number to call ahead for your car. I understand the 20 minute timeframe, however, I retrieved my car three times and waited 30, 35, and 40 minutes respectively. On one occasion, I had called in advance and arrived 20 minutes later to find out my car wasn't even on their list for retrieval. I'm pretty easygoing but we had two toddlers and the additional waiting was brutal.

I would be hesitant although not entirely resistant to stay here again as the location is really a plus. I just cannot guarantee a comfortable night's rest or prompt valet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent stay at the JW Marriott Washington, DC. Your feedback is truly one of the best tools we have to better our services for future guests.

We would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay with us. In the future, please do not hesitate to call and speak with one of our At Your Service agents for different bedding options. We would be happy to deliver an alternative set of pillows that may better fit your sleeping habits.

I completely understand how frustrating it must have been to wait for your car on three separate occasions, not to mention having small children waiting with you. I have shared these comments with our valet manager to ensure this issue does not occur again.

Again, thank you so much for your time. Please reach out to me directly if you'd like to discuss any of these issues further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,