“JW Marriott”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #69 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 May 2014

the concierge can get you in any restaurant at the drop of a hat. The hotel is well organized, spacious lobby, and many small alcoves to have short business interludes. Breakfast was extensive with healthy choices all the way to a full meal

Room Tip: ask for a view of the Washington monument
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,123)

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I've stay at the JW Marriott in DC a couple times before and it is consistent. I'm not posting photos of the room because you know what they look like--it's a Marriott. On the plus side--very clean, rooms have great sound proofing, beds and pillows fabulous, great robe, decent coffee machine in the room, lots of plugs for electronic devices and a good safe that fits a laptop. We were attending a graduation and they accommodated our request to have rooms next to one another--which was great. On the down side--it's huge and impersonal (but that's fine unless you are looking for charming), small old-style bathrooms (but perfectly serviceable) and HORRID wi-fi. They charge $12.95/day (no break for multiple days) for wi-fi. Welcome to 1995 and 56K dialup speed!! I had far better connectivity in Cuba! Oh, and if you want "high speed internet", you are welcome to pay $16.95. I called to complained and was transferred to someone in, oh, let's say Kansas, and he asked me to try different devices--all the same--he said there was nothing wrong that he could see and he was "escalating" and they would call me back. Long story short, I never got a call and the Internet didn't get any better. In the hotel's defense, they do have a 25' ethernet cable hanging in the closet, but for those traveling with Apple devices, that train left the station years ago.

Bottom line--its a nice, clean, quiet hotel with great views on the monuments if you get the city side. But, if you need wifi, forget it----bring an ethernet adapter or hang out in the "business center" and rock like it's 1995.

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for a city view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Came here for a meeting. Very friendly at reception desk.

Strange elevator system similar to Marriot Marquis in NY where you indicate the desired floor outside the elevator and you are told the letter of the next elevator shaft to wait at. Requires more IQ than usual elevator until you get used to it.

Hotel cost at group (meeting rate) is somewhat pricey but it is a costly city as is New York and Chicago.

My room is nice. The bed is good to very good. Desk is fine as is TV and bathroom which is a tad small. Food items in room are somewhat more overpriced than typical.

Service personnel seem nice.

Accommodations for meeting were good.

The best thing about this hotel is its location visa-vis the white house and monuments and museums. Lots of people run in those areas...another plus. The future Museum re: African Americans is being built near here. The Holocaust museum is nearby

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Harris C
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

I just checked in this evening (May 14th). I am so impressed by one of your doormen. I wish I got his name. I came via taxi from the airport. When we arrived at the hotel, the taxi's credit card machine didn't work, and I didn't have cash on me. Your doorman (very tall black man working at 9pm tonight) paid the driver out of his own pocket. Of course I went to the hotel's ATM and reimbursed him, but it was so thoughtful of him to do that. If he hadn't done that, my arrival at the hotel would have involved rushing in to find the ATM and running out to pay the driver. Because your doorman was generous enough to front the money for me, I was able to enter your hotel in a relaxed fashion and really feel welcomed. While I was at the ATM, the doorman used the information from my luggage tag and began the checkin process for me. Outstanding anticipation of what I would want/need next. The doorman then proceeded to walk me to the elevator with my bags, show me how the unique elevator system works, point out the different shops and restaurants, and offer me fitness center and restaurant hours of operations. This is a busy hotel in the heart of a big city. Getting personalized attention like this is unexpected, to say the least. I am a manager at a luxury 5 diamond resort and I see great customer service and personalization on an everyday basis. This doorman really stood out to me and proves to be a great asset to your team. Keep up the great work! - Megan Hennessey

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Megan_P_Hennessey
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I sagged at this hotel when I came to Washington DC.
I had a nice stay and was pleased with the hotel. I didn't have much to complain about.
However, the rooms were a bit on the small side- but no biggie. The only thing that bothered me was that the hotel restaurant employees didn't handle my allergies very well. I asked to speak to the chef about the buffet and I had to wait about 35 minutes until he finally came! I understand though it was just a bit unprofessional I thought. I wouldn't consider this an amazing hotel, but certainly not a bad one.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Last year, the group I was with stayed at another Marriott in DC was just so-so. However, this year (May 4-7, 2014) we had a large group who stayed at the Marriott Georgetown at the corner of 22nd St. NW and M Street! Every single staff member that I came into contact with was terrific: Front Desk staff were able to get my into my room at noon (which was impeccably clean and comfortable), they ordered and quickly had a small refrigerator delivered to my room, answered any and all questions I had with courtesy and correct information. Every staffer in a hallway would smile and say hello, how are you doing today! Wow! Individuals in the lounge (Sam at the bar) and the dining area (thank you, Sean McCrary, for allowing six of our group to enjoy our Chinese carryout in the lounge area our last evening) were all wonderful. Customer service was always excellent! John at the Concierge Desk was an absolute charm, helpful above and beyond the usual service, as was the evening Lobby Manager, Shaheem (sp?) who even helped us out on the phone trying to get our order placed with Minyah Chinese restaurant! I cannot say enough good things and will highly recommend that we stay here again next May for an annual visit to Capitol HIll to lobby Congress.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel facing 22nd Street do get a lot of street noise from sirens at nearb...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2014

For years, each time we visited D.C. with our two daughters we stayed at the J.W. Marriott.
The location is superb - walking distance to the White House (when you could visit the White House without having special contacts). The hotel was also attached to a mall that the girls loved. That Mall is no longer in existence.
I took my daughter and her two daughters to D.C. Easter week. Unfortunately the Cherry Blossoms had died due to the snow and cold just a few days before.
There is a food court which is good for families. You can walk to so many places and places to dine. There is an indoor swimming pool that the girls loved as mine did but the pool was freezing cold.

The hotel had children's movies every evening with popcorn and cold drinks - for free. A great gesture.

But it is time that this hotel gets an update and refurbished - something other than the elevators which took me a few minutes to figure out (you don't just press a button, and can only get on one that you programmed for your floor).

Good location, nice staff, but for the price it needs some polishing - updating.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family