“Excellent property at a prime location”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #65 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sayreville, New Jersey
“Excellent property at a prime location”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This is an excellent hotel with great staff. The customer service is outstanding. The location is perfect. Walking distance to everything you want to see.

Only complaint is that the hotel is showing some age in some of the details.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (695)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Sherman, Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed at the JW Marriott on business in May 2014. Two night stay, that included some meetings, and meals in the facility. Staff was wonderful, rooms were perfect. I had left my phone charger at home, but the staff behind the front counter charged it for me. I was trying to make an off-site meeting, and ran in the restaurant to try to get a quick bite. The waitress told me what to get, I agreed, and she had it to me within 60 seconds....and it was delicious! Great location....easy to get around. Excellent venues in the immediate area....highly recommend a cigar at Shelly's just around the corner. On evening, we even got to hang out and party with the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks who were in town to meet the President the next day at the White House.

So there you have....for me I couldn't have asked for anything more!

toms river
Reviewed 22 May 2014

I have stayed here a few times and always have a great experience. I arrived early this trip (around 11am) and they allowed me to check in early- which was a huge relief. THe rooms are very clean. The linens are good. I had a nice view of the washington monument this trip. The best thing about the hotel is the location- i walked to the white house, the mall, and fords theater. There are some great restaurants within walking distance as well- capital grill- old ebbitts and central.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We hosted an event at the Ronald Reagan Building and decided bring our business to this hotel given the convenient location. This is a mega-hotel that markets itself as being a good place to host groups. I wish we had stayed farther away.

The reasons: 1) we booked over 80 rooms, and there were errors time and time again in our bookings. It was one person's part-time job in the two weeks prior to the event to go through the reservation sheet to ensure we caught the hotel's errors. In spite of this, we still had several people who encountered problems with check-in, one person did not have a room even though late check-in was guaranteed. Our VIPs requested king beds, they got doubles. Our logistics person walked through step-by-step with the people working check-in our confirmations, yet there were still errors 2) rooms are small for the price. There isn't even room in the bathroom for a rack for a towel. Everything feels cramped, and I think the doubles are smaller than normal doubles. 3) the internet is so tremendously slow you must select the higher speed (and more expensive) option to have any hope of a connection at a reasonable speed, 4) the front desk was unprofessional. We were hosting a private reception and they directed guests that were not invited to the reception to our room, 5) if you have verizon, cell service is quite poor here.

It wasn't all bad, I suppose. The lobby had free wifi that was sufficient. The airconditioning in my room didn't work but maintenance did come up right away and repaired it. There is a starbux in the lobby that is moderately fast. And the location isn't bad. The restaurant on site is average.

We stayed at the Willard in May 2013 and had similar issues with our rooming list, and poor customer service when there was a sinkhole that needed repairs all night so we thought we'd try something different.

Room Tip: Request a king size bed.
1 Thank UrbanMusings
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the JW Marriott Washington, DC. Your feedback is one of our best tools to better service our guests in the future.

I would like to personally apologize for some of the inconveniences that you encountered during your stay. There is no excuse for there to be billing errors when there was someone personally working with you on the bill. In addition, for your VIP guests to not receive their requested bed type is unacceptable as well. I am so sorry that we were unable to handle these issues in a better fashion.

Every effort we take here at the JW Marriott Washington DC is aimed at providing every guest an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope that we have the opportunity to do so in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you’d like to speak further on the issues you encountered while staying with us.

Kind Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I've never written a review of anything online but felt I had to in this instance.

I was travelling for business and reserved a room at the JW Marriot DC, which was two blocks away from my meeting. My room cost ~$450 / night and had guaranteed late arrival. My meeting ran late, so around 11 PM I called the hotel to confirm my room was not given away. They assured me that my room was still available and that I could take my time going to the hotel.

Upon arriving around midnight the front desk told me that the hotel was fully booked and that my room was no longer available. They assured me they would "take care of me" by sticking me in a hotel 30 minutes away. They claimed they had a "maintenance" issue that just happened to pop up in the hour between my phone call and arriving in the lobby. I did not arrive at the Silver Springs Sheraton until well after 1 AM, and had to wake up an hour earlier to handle the traffic coming back into DC.

To loosely quote Seinfeld, anyone can take a reservation, the hard part is keeping it. The JW Marriot failed in the most fundamental aspect of its business. Needless to say, I will never book another night here again.

3 Thank Greg K
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences regarding your recent stay at the JW Marriott Washington, DC. Your feedback is truly one of the best tools we have to better our services for future guests.

I was glad to learn that you accepted the compensation for the issues you experienced.

Again, thank you so much for your time. It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to showcase our improvements.

Kind Regards,
Bowie, MD
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stayed for two nights as this was the host hotel for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. Best beds EVER! Room was very clean. Of course, being in the heart of downtown DC, everything was super expensive! The room was definitely over-priced. Even at a discount, the price was over $200 per night!

My only issue in the hotel was the pool area. After walking a marathon, all we wanted was to soak in the hot tub. Unfortunately, some family with 10 kids was in the pool area playing (at 9PM) and they were LOUD and OBNOXIOUS! The kids, clearly under the age of 10, were running and jumping in the pool with very little parental supervision. The kids were even in the hot tub. We weren't allowed to enjoy our soak.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here several time and enjoy the top shelf service, bedding in the rooms, lobby, etc. One drawback staff could not give tourist directions......

Quick access to DCA airport.
Concierge level is closed Saturday and Sunday (open at 5pm)

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo