“Good stay...could have been slightly better”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #65 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Having arrived in DC from Boston where I stayed at the Revere Hotel (which included free wi-fi, shoe-shine and complimentary champagne on check-in) I was expecting a little more from a huge name like JW Marriott.

Although wi-fi in the lobby is free, having to pay extra to get it in your room seems a little backwards for what should be a "modern" hotel. The shower didn't work properly one day but maintenance fixed it within 5 minutes without me even explaining what the problem was! Seemed like it was a regular issue which they were happy to keep repairing regularly rather than solve the matter entirely.

Having said that, the location was fantastic. As a first time visitor to DC most the attractions (Washington Monument, The White House and some of the Smithsonian museums) were within walking distance. A cab to Georgetown was fast and less than $15 so it was easy and relatively inexpensive to get there.

The lobby looks fantastic and the room itself was very nice. The beds were very comfortable and allowed for a great night's sleep. Shame I was on the 3rd floor which meant I didn't have a great view from the room.

Service from the staff was great and all issues/questions were answered quickly and the concierge had a couple of great recommendations for restaurants!

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor to potentially get a good view of the city
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This is an excellent hotel, in an excellent location. Very central, close to main attractions and Metro. HOWEVER..... It is not cheap and for the cost I expected complimentary WiFi, and possibly, to include breakfast. It did include neither! That is probably enough to stop me returning. I arrived in the evening on Sunday feeling shattered after a long trip and the person who checked me in, Carlos, was absolutely wonderful! Coffee, tea and water in the room, as well as the fridge, were most welcome!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing your feedback to us on your recent stay. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us as well as taking the time to complete this review.

While we are not able to provide complimentary internet in guest rooms it is avaialble complimentary in the lobby area which offers a Starbucks as well as ample seating for working and relaxing. There are also rate packages that do include breakfast for two available. I apologize you were not able to reserve one of these packages for your stay.

I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful check in with Carlos, one of our most delightful associates. We do look forward to welcoming you back to the JW Marriott Washington DC and hope you will give us another change to be at your service.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Having stayed in DC numerous times, this is just a great location...nice pool as well.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the mall - maybe less. A few good restaurants.

The room was large, and we ahead a magnificent view from the 14th floor. L

Reviewed 30 June 2014

we relocated here after the Marriott Marquis screwed up our adjoining rooms and the JW Marriott was very accommodating. the room wasn't ready when we moved over but the staff was very attentive and called when the room was ready. the rooms are small [adequate size and appropriate for DC] which made getting ready at the same time as my wife a challenge.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

When your hotel is two blocks from the White House and walking distance to everything that is D.C it is hard to complain. But beyond the location the staff were on top form. This is an area where I have little give. I have to say from the moment we checked in to the moment we left they were observant, polite and did all they could to help.Like many of you the fact Marriott still charge for internet is beyond me. But that was the only issue I had during our entire stay.
The milk and cookies sent up for the kids was impressive.

If you can request the 12th floor with the view-it really is quite spectacular. You have an enormous veranda and you can enjoy it looking out over monuments and even and entrance to the White House.

Room Tip: Room 1269 with two beds and a view!!
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I just got back from a two night stay at this property during the last weekend of June. We had a room on the second floor, with two double beds. Beds were comfortable, and the room was clean and extremely well-appointed, with plush towels, smooth linens and terry bathrobe. Our room, which was located halfway down the hall from the elevator, was extremely quiet, and we slept soundly and LATE with the amazing black out shades! We were just very comfortable in the room. Valet service was also excellent and the staff at the hotel was friendly and accommodating, with no exceptions. The hotel is located a stone's throw from the White House, and within a few minutes walk to the Washington Monument. Lots of restaurants located proximately to the hotel, and a Starbucks in the lobby was a big plus. I will surely stay here again for my next DC weekend.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor in a room without a city view - it was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Having stayed at JWs in Hong Kong, Guangzhou and Chicago, the DC location who bills itself as the flagship JW does not live up to its name. It's a fantastic location, close to the sights and the Metro station. Unfortunately, the rooms are dated and the quality of the staff is lacking. There are large gouges in the furniture, the hair dryer is probably 10 years old, and more importantly, the staff is less than courteous (having experienced A+ service at the other locations, it's something that I've come to expect from the JW staff). And by great service, all I'm asking for is a knowledgable concierge and employees who actually greet you (rather than stare until you say 'good morning' and respond with a grunt). Pretty sure the Renaissance Marriott would be a better option!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
DanielMcKeon, Resident Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

I appreciate the time you took to review our property. Your feedback is one of the best tools that we have to better service our guests in the future.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. For our staff to be unpleasant and not as friendly as you're used to is completely unacceptable. We pride ourselves in hiring friendly, charismatic, and outgoing associates.

Again, please allow me to express my apologies that your stay was less than excellent. If you are ever traveling to the DC area in the future, please reach out to me directly and I'd be happy to assist in any way possible.

Kind Regards,