“Lovely”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #68 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 July 2014

This hotel is really nice and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. The room was large and very comfortable. The staff are friendly and helpful. The location was good for us as it is near the train to get to the airport and walkable to the sights.

The only negative is that there is no free wifi.

Room Tip: Each floor of the hotel is very large. If you have mobility issue you might want to ask to be close...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Probably one of the best locations to stay in D.C. Great locale to stay after a show at the National. Professional staff. Excellent rooms. Loved our upgrade to be able to see the skyline. Great bar to hang out in. The place is in great shape. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikelynxx
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Great location, very clean and very comfortable. Will stay again. Bell and valet service were particularly friendly. Breakfast in the morning was delicious but would order from the menu next time instead of the buffet. It was fine, but I would have rather just had plain pancakes!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shana B
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I don't travel a lot, so we are not Marriott reward members. This unfortunately means that even though we have a confirmed reservation, we can be bumped by an elite Marriott member that needs a room. So I don't really have the right to rate this hotel because they informed me, on the day I was checking in, that they gave my room away to someone else. In all fairness, they did offer to put me up at their hotel 30 minutes away, but that defeated the purpose of our visit. As others arrived after me and were being given room keys by other clerks, I have never felt so belittled in all my life. I will never trust making another reservation with this chain. And I will never subject myself to this type of aggravation/disrespect again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank cuyfalls
DanielMcKeon, Manager at JW Marriott Washington, DC, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hello Kelly R,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the situation you encountered at our hotel. Unfortunately we oversold our hotel that evening and were forced to make alternative accommodations for our confirmed guests at another location. The decision we made to move your reservation was in no way meant to be disrespectful or belittling. I do not feel as if this small sample is a fair respresentation of our hotel, and would greatly appreciate the opportunity to host you and your husband again in the future. Please contact me directly should you decide to return to Washington, DC so that I may personally ensure you have an enjoyable time.

Best wishes,

William Canning
Assistant Front Desk Manager
william.canning@marriott.com

Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here for Memorial day weekend on a deal from Hotwire. For the price it was a good property, centrally located, average service but the rooms need a slight update. The A/C was a bit loud and the walls are paper thin so that you can hear everything your neighbor or anyone in the hallway is discussing.

Valet Parking is $47 daily which is close to the norm but caught me off guard as there is no opportunity for self parking at the hotel. If you can get this property on discount or through promo, I'd highly recommend for the location and service, if you are paying full rate, you are paying too much,.=

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Hotel was great. Location was amazing 1 block to White House, two blocks to Smithsonian museums. A bit further to the mall but all very walkable. The rooms are very nice, beds were very comfortable and they have terry cloth bathrobes in rooms. They have a nice indoor pool and hot tub but a bit over run with unsupervised children - not a problem for me but some would find it loud and uncomfortable. Lobby was large and not crowded. We couldnt find a restaurant open after 8, not even a local pizza place so eat early or in the hotel restaurant. The matre d was friendly and funny. Menu a bit limited so dont plan every meal there. I gave this hotel an excellent rating because it was upscale yet comfortable, clean, friendly and great location. One negative is thier valet parking. Lots of quick movements but not coordinated amoung team so gets a bit unorganized. Definately a graet pick!

Room Tip: Had a handicap accesible room that was truly accesible! So big could turn wheelchair in room .
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My fiancee and I stopped in at the JW Dc for one night this past weekend. We had to drive down from NJ to pick a kid up from Georgetown first thing Sunday morning so we arrived Saturday to hang with friends and be in town for the morning. It took about 4-1/2 hours on Saturday, stopping briefly in Baltimore (see review of the Rusty Scupper- yuck) so we arrived 2:15 which is earlier than the hotel's official check-in time of 4:00. They had a room ready so that was nice as we wanted to get a quick shower before meeting friends who were kindly picking us up at 3:30. We had stayed here before- about 2 years ago, that time with our 3 kids who were about 16 and 14 years old at the time. We remembered liking the hotel, the rooms which were spacious, the bar/lounge, and the restaurant. We were a little disappointed therefore in room 729 which was 1. FAR from the elevator, 2. TINY! barely room to walk in front of the King bed, 3. TINY TINY bathroom- the kind where if you are sitting on the toilet, your knees almost touch the door. Two people could not get ready at the same time. Worse 3. no fan in the bathroom so the shower steams up the place and it takes awhile to de-steam. 4. Cheap towels and they only left 3. We asked for more, which they brought while we were out, but didn't remove the pile of dirty ones which wouldn't have mattered so much except they took up all the room on the floor in the bathroom! 5. The window of this corner room had a nice view of the Willard, but the draperies don't cover the window. There was a shade I drew, but light still came in in the morning- to me, blackout is the MOST important thing in a hotel room. For the price (237 room rate with AAA, 34.37 room tax, plus 49.56 for parking with tax = $320.93) I expect a dark room. 6. This is petty- but I hate when there is no seltzer/club soda/sparkling water of any kind in the mini bar. 7. There was a charge for internet service- I hate that. Front desk staff was friendly, the room was clean, I don't really mind the crazy elevator system where you put in your floor and it assigns you an elevator car, but if you aren't paying attention it could REALLY be a hassle, check out was no problem with the bill under the door. Just don't love room 729. FYI- there is a Starbuck's in the lobby- I hate Starbucks coffee but if you like it it's convenient. Watch out for the driveway it's rather dangerous.

Room Tip: Not room 729.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello sweetmelissae,

Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed review of your experience. I was disappointed to hear that your expectations for your stay were not met. We are undergoing a complete rooms renovation in December of this year where each guest room will be renovated to give our guests a new product. I would like to personally invite you back so that you can see the improvements we have made once the renovation is complete. Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Best wishes,