“Marriott does not disappoint”

JW Marriott Washington, DC
Ranked #66 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pennsylvania
“Marriott does not disappoint”
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I just returned from a weekend stay at the JW Marriott. We were in town for the Library of Congress Book Festival at the National Mall. As other have stated, the hotel is located very close to many attractions and sights. We were able to walk to many places from our hotel and found everything very easily. The rooms here are pretty average, bed comfortable with many pillows, and bathrooms are adequate. I like an exhaust fan in the bathroom and the shower itself was a bit dark since no light within the shower. There is a note that lets you know not to touch anything or else it will be billed to your room. I found myself very happy that my four year old was not in this hotel room - for this reason alone! I was disappointed to see that the refrigerator that is in your room is completely filled with Marriott drinks and such ahead of time and is NOT to be used as a typical refrigerator. One can be brought to your room if requested. I brought several bottles of water from home, hoping to cool them in the fridge. So instead of going thru the hassle of requesting one, we filled up the ice bucket with ice and chilled the water that way. We had a view of 14th Street, but could see the Washington Monument as well. We enjoyed breakfast one morning in the Avenue Grill - $20 for the buffet and all was fresh and good. The service at this hotel was wonderful. The staff was very mindful of all that was needed and always very quick to help and give a greeting!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (667)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2009

I stayed here over a weekend and found my stay at the Marriott very enjoyable. The location is great for sightseeing and the Metro is only a short walk away. The room was clean although the bathroom is small for this standard of hotel. Like others have warned, take care not to pick up anything from the "goodie" tray in the room as you will be charged for the privilege. Check your bill carefully; I was charged $14 for stuff on that tray and I swear I didn't so much as look at the products far less touched them. The receptionist deducted thus from my bill without any problem, but why not just remove the trays from the rooms? They are just a nuisance and distraction! There was a large flat screen TV and more pillows than I have ever seen on one bed before!
The lobby is huge and the service at the bar I found to be excellent. Concierge was very helpful and they held my bags for a few hours after I checked out which was handy.
All in all, an excellent standard of hotel in a great location for sightseeing (the White House is a couple of blocks away), the Metro, and there are numerous restaurants nearby.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Tampa
Reviewed 24 September 2009

The location was absolutely perfect. Yes the room and bath were a bit small, but well appointed with comfortable beds, large flat screen TV, HBO and plenty of channels. The rooms were cleaned and restocked each day and they brought a wine opener upon request (no charge). The pool is also small, but they make up for it with the Jacuzzi, fresh fruit, water, and towels. The atrium is gorgeous with fresh exotic flowers and several grand chandeliers. I loved it so much I extended my stay an extra night! Good job Marriott. D.C. has happy hour deals everyday so you'll have no problem finding a place to hang out, have a drink and a decent meal.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We arrived in the afternoon and were able to rent a room on the floor with the shared balcony. The balcony is shared by about ten other rooms. As soon as we went out to the balcony and then later came back into the room, we noticed that the door wouldn't lock. We were nervous to even leave the room because all our belongings were in it (we decided to leave anyway and it took over a few hours for someone to come fix it, but they were able to fix it).

When we came back to the room later that night, although the door to the balcony had been fixed, we noticed ants crawling around on the suitcase stand but figured it was okay because there were just a few. In the morning, there were ants all over the room (mounds of them in the bathroom, on the counters, on the beds, in our suitcases). We called the front desk to let them know of the ant problem and they basically blamed us for bringing all these ants into the hotel (I'm not sure how we could have attracted that many ants/brought them into the hotel with us). The front desk worker told us that since there were ants, the room would need to be sprayed. Of course, we didn't want to stay in a room that was being sprayed with pesticide so we asked if we could just be moved to a different room. We were told that a room would be ready for us in half an hour. We waited almost three hours for a room to be cleaned that we could switch to.

This same morning I woke up with a rash on my face and chest. I had to deal with an itchy rash on my body for our entire week long stay. (Once I got home I was able to go to the dermatologist who told me that I was probably allergic to the laundry detergent that they used at the hotel).

Eventually, we got our new room but we noticed that they were trying to charge us the same price for our new room without a balcony as the previous room that had had a balcony. After we had to speak to those working at the front desk again, they switched us to the correct price.

At checkout, we were charged for items off the food tray that we had not even eaten. Make sure you do not pick up any of the food off the tray because it is motion/weight censored and you will be automatically charged for picking it up. We were also able to have this removed off our bill.

Overall, the hotel was in a great location and there were a bunch of restaurants and shops to go to in that area. The movement from room to room and the problems with the rooms however were somewhat inconvenient.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 16 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at the JW for 5 nights towards the end of August and had a terrific experience there. The room was in a quiet location, it was cleaned regularly, the bed and pillows were so amazingly comfortable and the room served our purpose as a place to crash after a long day of sightseeing. The only negative was that the bathroom was on the small side and could have used some updating of the shower and tub. We used the pool and jacuzzi every day when we returned from sightseeing and although the pool was filled with lots of kids, it was a nice break from the August heat and humidity. The concierge, Raj, was so helpful with great restaurant suggestions. The hotel made everything easy. We actually parked our car a few blocks away on F Street from for $8.00/night as we didn't need it at all. The hotel is in a perfect location for just about anyplace you might want to visit and in walking distance of most of the museums, monuments and The White House. We would not hesitate to stay there again and got a very good room rate with our AAA card.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Sarasota
Reviewed 12 September 2009

This is a large hotel in the best location. Located on Penn Ave it is close to every site. Just walk out the lobby and the washington mall is one block away. This is so nice to be close after a long day of walking seeing all the sites and you are tired. The lobby is modern, huge with large bright chandeliers. Elevators are different in that you punch in your floor number and a display will inform you which elevator ( A,B,C, etc.) will be the one to take you to your floor. Our room was on the 15th floor. The very top. Smaller windows on the top floor but we had a view of the Washington Momument. The room is a good size. King bed was very comfortable, had tons of pillows and superior linens. The flat screen tv was large. They supply a bathrobe. Bathroom was bright and spotless. Bath products, plush towels and glasses were plentiful. The food in the resutanat bar 1331 was very good, crab cake sliders and the shangri-la martini are the best. On check in the front desk supplied a list of locale resturants, Old Ebbits Grill was very good and close to the hotel. The hotel is spotless, very comfortable and in the best location to see the sites.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Cleveland Ohio
Reviewed 11 September 2009

This stay was my first experience with Trip Advisor and I ended upwith a place that was really great.

Location is fantastic. All the sites off the mall are just a short walk away. The trolley/bus tours pick up and drop off accross the street at the Willard.

***When you get there have staff remove the kid temptations(mini bar) immediately. We did and still got a $37 charge that was removed with no hassle.

The pool is on the first floor with no shortage of fresh fruit or towels for the kids. Lots of families in this place and the pool was always busy.

Parking is pricy in the hotel Sat afternoon to Mon 7am $20. Mon 7am - 3pm was $16. Weekend rates in local garages are reasonable but double once Monday hits.

The rooms are a little tight but we managed. Watch out for the luggage guys if you check your bags in for a few hours before leaving. We got the wrong bags not once but twice. Not sure how that happens????????

Best tip I read was regarding the liquor store on the same block. After a days walking with 3 kids in 80 degrees, that ice cold beer in the room was great! Thanks to whoever put that up.
For the price, a great stay, great hotel, great staff and perfect location, chek it out.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family