“Boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #34 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The Lombardy is a Euro-style hotel in the midst of Washington, say four or five blocks from the White House. Can't get any closer than that. The price is reasonable for the location. The staff are efficient, know their jobs, and are friendly. Almost like a welcoming family. The dining room serves an intelligent variety of breakfasts for the bacon & eggs crowd to a fruit mixture. Dinners also provide an excellent choice and there are a variety of others in the neighborhood. I've been staying here for about 20 years, on and off, and still recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from I St./Pennsylvania Ave.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SJMSyracuseNY
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for being such a loyal guests! We appreciate you and we thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2012

I tried writing this review a month ago, but computer problems ended up killing a lengthy description that I'll try to recreate. I stayed here for two nights for business during the first week of April 2012. This hotel is a great value ... $200 (AAA rate) for a huge room in the heart of the District. It is a boutique-style hotel with a small front desk and no lobby.

My room was on the top floor (1103). I noticed some reviewers of this hotel mentioned noise, but my stay was perfectly quiet. There was a small foyer just inside the door with a bathroom to the left, a sitting room with desk to the right, and the bedroom around the corner. Both the bedroom and the sitting room were very roomy.

The decor is a bit difficult to describe. It was a bit .... like Aunt Edna's house. You didn't have an Aunt Edna? Well, she was an older (when I was young) widowed woman. She kept here place very clean, but her furniture was a bit dated and her taste in furnishings was very subdued. (They must have hired her to do the decorating here.) I'm not saying that it's bad, just a little ..., well, subdued. Personally, I'd prefer something a bit livelier.

I peaked into the quaint little bar inside the hotel and it had the same feel. This kept me from going in because, while I was looking for a disco, I was after something a little more upbeat. I went to bed instead. The bed in my room was very comfortable, and as I mentioned earlier, very quiet.

If you watch the slideshow on the Tripadvisor hotel link, the hotel appears livelier than what I experienced.

The one thing that I did like a lot was anonymity (sp?) of the place. If those secret service guys who got in trouble in South America had been staying here, they could have taken those prostitutes up to their rooms and no one would have noticed.

This hotel is on a small street that runs diagonally connecting it with the large Pennsylvania Avenue that is the hotel's address. The hotel is actually slightly off Pennsylvania near the end of the block of that smaller street I described. You slip in and out of the hotel passing only the doormen. Both of those that I encountered were friendly and helpful, two 10s.

All in all my stay was enjoyable. If you want a subdued, stealthy hotel, this is the place. It is also an unbeatable bargain.

My overall rating for this hotel is probably lower than it should be, especially when you look at my individual ratings ... but Aunt Edna's place always gave me a slightly uncomfortable feeling. Remember, not bad, just a little too ... subdued.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank GlennyBrandimarte
Reviewed 24 April 2012

A lovely little european style boutique hotel with a cheery dining room for breakfast

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments! We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay!

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great stay. Great location. Its an older hotel, but has been upkept and the staff is very attentive. Stayed there 20 years ago, and will stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We were very pleased to see how close this sedate historic hotel is to GW campus. This is a reasonably priced, old fashioned hotel, nicely updated but traditional. Compared to other DC hotels, the rates were extremely reasonable and the rooms are large, with mini kitchens. We were delighted with our oversized 9th floor suite, with views from the living room, the bedroom quietly set in the back, kitchen and hallway -- all for less money than a small double at other nearby hotels. A great spacious choice for families. I requested and was given a high floor, which is quieter (Pennsylvania avenue is directly below and noisy if you are in the front - -other quiet choices means no view) Founding Farmers restaurant is across the street -- well liked and fun farm to table, you must reserve for dinner.

1  Thank Barbeque

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

The Hotel Lombardy exceeded our expectations -- our suite was well appointed, cozy and comfortable. The location is excellent but because it's in the financial district, many nearby restaurants are closed on weekends. The restaurant is pricey for breakfast but the food is excellent and well presented, and it's the best choice in the immediate area. There are some nearby nightclubs that are rather loud at night -- the downside of being in the heart of a major city -- but the front desk staff assured us the music would stop at midnight, and it did.

Room Tip: A room on a high floor is recommended due to city noise. The suites are large, with ample living roo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa D

Thanks for the great response. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed 16 April 2012

We recently spent 5 days at the Hotel Lombardy. My daughter and I were in Washington DC to celebrate our birthdays and chose the Lombardy because of its historical qualities. We loved our large room and the friendly, helpful staff. The hotel is situated close to two Metro stations so getting around Washington and the surrounding areas was very easy. It was a trip we both enjoyed and the location of the hotel was a big plus!

1  Thank Paula B

Thanks, Ms Paula B.! We appreciate you giving us feedback on your stay here at the Hotel Lombardy. It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed your time spent in Washington, DC. We hope to see you back again soon!