“Beautiful boutique”

Ranked #41 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
London
“Beautiful boutique”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is a lovely hotel in the heart of Washington. Boutique in nature, quiet, stylish and individualistic. I changed to this hotel after staying one night in a generic and awful chain hotel nearby. A great move.

Service was quiet and efficient. The room was lovely - top tip is to ask for a room on the higher floors to get away from the noise of Pennsylvania Avenue.

The Venetian Bar is a lovely place to enjoy some post-work/pre-dinner drinks.

The only negative was the eye-wateringly expensive breakfast. It's not included in the overall price, and paying fifty dollars for some scrambled eggs, sparkling water, side of fruit and a couple of strips of bacon (five dollars by themselves!) is excessive. My advice? There are plenty of cheaper places to eat nearby including the fantastic Founding Farmers on the opposite corner. Go there instead and enjoy everything else Hotel Lombardy has to offer.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank KiwiGirl76
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Thank you for providing us with your feedback, We appreciate you and it is our goal to provide outstanding customer service to our guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Corrado Palenzona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (378)
  • Hungarian first
Salt_Lake
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This hotel has wonderful service. From the minute I entered the hotel to check in and later check out they had welcoming staff. Staff opened the doors when entering and leaving the hotel and were very friendly.

The rooms are very clean and some have kitchenetts with a sink and fridge. They were more spacious than I expected. Maid service did a good job of cleaning the rooms every night.

After staying previously at the Mayflower and moving to this hotel I highly recommend this one. I also found the room very quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for the higest room possible not located close to the elevators with a fridge. I was on the 11t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
As the General Manager of the Hotel Lombardy your comments make me proud! Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and we hope to have you visit again soon. We appreciate you!

Syracuse NY
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The Lombardy is a Euro-style hotel in the midst of Washington, say four or five blocks from the White House. Can't get any closer than that. The price is reasonable for the location. The staff are efficient, know their jobs, and are friendly. Almost like a welcoming family. The dining room serves an intelligent variety of breakfasts for the bacon & eggs crowd to a fruit mixture. Dinners also provide an excellent choice and there are a variety of others in the neighborhood. I've been staying here for about 20 years, on and off, and still recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from I St./Pennsylvania Ave.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SJMSyracuseNY
Thank you for being such a loyal guests! We appreciate you and we thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.

Tipton, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I tried writing this review a month ago, but computer problems ended up killing a lengthy description that I'll try to recreate. I stayed here for two nights for business during the first week of April 2012. This hotel is a great value ... $200 (AAA rate) for a huge room in the heart of the District. It is a boutique-style hotel with a small front desk and no lobby.

My room was on the top floor (1103). I noticed some reviewers of this hotel mentioned noise, but my stay was perfectly quiet. There was a small foyer just inside the door with a bathroom to the left, a sitting room with desk to the right, and the bedroom around the corner. Both the bedroom and the sitting room were very roomy.

The decor is a bit difficult to describe. It was a bit .... like Aunt Edna's house. You didn't have an Aunt Edna? Well, she was an older (when I was young) widowed woman. She kept here place very clean, but her furniture was a bit dated and her taste in furnishings was very subdued. (They must have hired her to do the decorating here.) I'm not saying that it's bad, just a little ..., well, subdued. Personally, I'd prefer something a bit livelier.

I peaked into the quaint little bar inside the hotel and it had the same feel. This kept me from going in because, while I was looking for a disco, I was after something a little more upbeat. I went to bed instead. The bed in my room was very comfortable, and as I mentioned earlier, very quiet.

If you watch the slideshow on the Tripadvisor hotel link, the hotel appears livelier than what I experienced.

The one thing that I did like a lot was anonymity (sp?) of the place. If those secret service guys who got in trouble in South America had been staying here, they could have taken those prostitutes up to their rooms and no one would have noticed.

This hotel is on a small street that runs diagonally connecting it with the large Pennsylvania Avenue that is the hotel's address. The hotel is actually slightly off Pennsylvania near the end of the block of that smaller street I described. You slip in and out of the hotel passing only the doormen. Both of those that I encountered were friendly and helpful, two 10s.

All in all my stay was enjoyable. If you want a subdued, stealthy hotel, this is the place. It is also an unbeatable bargain.

My overall rating for this hotel is probably lower than it should be, especially when you look at my individual ratings ... but Aunt Edna's place always gave me a slightly uncomfortable feeling. Remember, not bad, just a little too ... subdued.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank GlennyBrandimarte
Katonah, NY
Reviewed 24 April 2012

A lovely little european style boutique hotel with a cheery dining room for breakfast

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments! We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay!

NJ
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Great stay. Great location. Its an older hotel, but has been upkept and the staff is very attentive. Stayed there 20 years ago, and will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Westport, Ct
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We were very pleased to see how close this sedate historic hotel is to GW campus. This is a reasonably priced, old fashioned hotel, nicely updated but traditional. Compared to other DC hotels, the rates were extremely reasonable and the rooms are large, with mini kitchens. We were delighted with our oversized 9th floor suite, with views from the living room, the bedroom quietly set in the back, kitchen and hallway -- all for less money than a small double at other nearby hotels. A great spacious choice for families. I requested and was given a high floor, which is quieter (Pennsylvania avenue is directly below and noisy if you are in the front - -other quiet choices means no view) Founding Farmers restaurant is across the street -- well liked and fun farm to table, you must reserve for dinner.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Barbeque
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.