“Impeccably kept hotel, with old time charm, warmth and intimacy.”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #33 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 5 January 2013

My wife Suzanne and I decided to celebrate her birthday in Washington DC, and booked our first stay at the Hotel Lombardy for the nights of the 4th and the 5th of December 2012. I just wanted to take a moment to share some of our observations.
We both found the hotel to be impeccably kept, without a paint chip, or an unpolished piece of brass, to be found anywhere. It has an old time charm, warmth and intimacy of a truly unique boutique hotel. Coupling that with the very friendly, extremely helpful Door and Desk staff, and a warm welcoming, service and housekeeping staff, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer place to stay anywhere in DC for the money.
With the hotel being located directly on Pennsylvania Avenue only a few blocks from the White House and the National Mall, and a Metro Station only a short walk down the street, we found it a great location to base our explorations of DC from.
All that being said Suzanne and I both wish to thank you for your part in our great time in DC.
David & Suzanne

1  Thank David L
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2013

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. Thank you for taking the time to share the details about your experience. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future.

Corrado Palenzona

Write a ReviewReviews (2,231)

Reviewed 3 January 2013

What a find!!! What a pleasure it is to write this review of such an outstanding experience. Our first time in Washington (unfamiliar territory), knowing that the Web post are of the best one has to offer, and curious about what we would get for ~ $100 a night. Let me tell you, we got a beautfiul boutique hotel with large comfy rooms, kitchenette, wifi, etc. with a wonderful firplaced lounge and a superlative staff. If it seems I am gushing, I should be. I not only, wholeheartedly endorsed this property but it is MY hotel of choice in DC. 4 blocks from the white house, 3 blocks from teh Lincoln memeorial, 2 blocks from the Metro, what a convenient spot to enjoy all DC has to offer

4  Thank n0tac0p

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience. Our goal is to offer every guest the same service and accommodations that will ensure a memorable stay.

Reviewed 30 December 2012

Stayed here for three nights in early Dec. I came in to D.C for the Redskins game and picked the Hotel Lombardy primarily for it's location , and was'nt disappointed. Foggy Bottom station is just minutes away and on the Blue Line to Landover , having the "Wholefoods Marketplace" in a direct line between the station and the Hotel was a huge bonus as well. The proximity to the White House , Mall and Georgetown also perfectly matched our needs.
The Rooms themselves are luxuriously appointed and have large comfy beds and pillows. WI-FI worked well , all the usual mod-cons fridge,coffee-maker , safe etc [including ludicrously over-priced mini-bar] were also there and of high quality.
My only complaint was the shower , after a long arduous trip to get here , the limp shower that greeted us was dis-appointing.
Whether it was being on the 11th floor , or , most likely their "eco" policy , the water pressure was abysmal. Curiously, their bathroom lights seem to have an [automatic] eco aspect too - as during the day they dim down considerably - not real helpful when it's dark and cloudy outside.
I mention this because my partner had a time-and-a-half washing her hair and then putting make-up on in the gloom ;}. Management might want to consider this , especially for their female patrons.
All in all though , a lovely Hotel , and one that I am highly likely to return to.

3  Thank John T
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are glad that overall you enjoyed your stay. In reference to the water pressure in the shower, I hope that you informed the Front Desk about this issue so that it could have been addressed right away and I will look into this to follow up as well; also the lighting in the bathroom on the switch has a dimmer which allows you to have the lights low or make them bright, I apologize that you were not informed of this information in advance. Again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

I ended up staying in DC another night and thought I'd stay at the Lombardy. They had some great rates and a nice upgrade. I stayed in 403, a nice suite in the front of the building. I won't say what the rate was as it was a steal!

Most of the staff was very fussy; perfectly polite and professional, but lacking that personal feel. The only staff member that I liked was David at the Front Desk. He worked a double the day I checked in, and was as polite and gentle as anyone could wish. Plus, without making a big deal about it, he recognized me when I returned. He was quietly on top of things. THIS was how a weary traveler wants to be welcomed. The other lady at the front desk was intimidating and cold, AND loud. She had that stiff-four-star attitude that is more old world and less enjoyable to people that do not expect the staff to be treated as surfs. Unless you bark out orders, I don't think she would have heard you.

Loved the building. I like old. I like character. There is always a sacrifice when one would prefer history over flash, but it felt pretty good. Great colors and very easy feel. My favorite is the slatted doors to the guest rooms. No doubt this was dated back to old days when air needed to circulate in the summer. Of course the location is great - just up Penn from the White House, and the IMF building (great architecture) is almost across the street. Georgetown is also easy walking distance, and the Kennedy Center. The metro is just down the street.

Wonderful bed; nice, rich carpet, night lighting. LOTS of windows. You didn’t really have any great views, but it is nice to have some sunlight in the room when you wake in the morning.
Had room service; the crab cakes. LOTS of crab, perfectly seasoned, great dish. I had a salad too, but it wasn’t very crisp. Reasonable price and it was so nice to eat in. I had breakfast in the morning in the dining room. I had their famous French Toast and it was tasty ($14). Loved the little restaurant. Very small room, seats 36. It would be a bit tight if it was full, but pleasant I think. I would go back. I didn’t like the fact that they include the 18% gratuity on the bill in the restaurant (expected with Room Service). One likes to tip… and it is more fun to tip big when it is a gift. If they just include it, one feels a little sour. Perhaps they have a clientele that tips poorly? Not a good message really.

Negatives? Well, as I said, the staff needs to lighten up. While typical, I find $4 M&Ms to be a burden. It is sad that they try to make money on a candy bar (one feels nickeled and dimed). I don't drink, but it could be a $12 drink if you add the soft drink. Newspaper at the door was nice, but it was a waste for someone that does this online.

Also, Penn avenue is loud. Sirens a good part of the night. This is to be expected in the city, and one gets used to it. Overall, I really did like it. I would certainly return.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2012

This is the second week long stay I have had at the lombardy in the past year. I had high expectations--and was not disappointed. This is a lovely, comfortable and very quiet eurpoean style hotel in the heart of NW DC. The room is well appointed with beautiful antique style furnishings--but with modern comforts.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Thank you for telling us about your stay. We are delighted to hear that enjoyed your stay. e look forward to having you stay with us again.

Reviewed 19 December 2012

I had a wonderful 5 night stay in this lovely hotel located in a historic building. The location is near two metro stops and has lots of dining and bar establishments nearby. Right across the street is a nice pocket park for a little green in an the middle of a urban core.

Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. We welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel about a decade ago and was excited to revisit to see how things had changed. It's still a great place with lots of character. I was disappointed that they'd removed the old-fashioned, manual elevator. There are now two standard elevators in its place, one small and the other coffin-like, but I suppose the space was what it was and it's certainly a better idea to have two elevators than one.
We booked the smallest-sized room, which was nice and clean, recently updated, and plenty spacious enough for an overnight.
Great hotel, close or walking distance to many things and with character that can be hard to find these days. I hope I don't wait another decade to return.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WhyNotWander

Thank you for coming back, especially after a decade! We appreciate you giving us your feed back. The elevators was definitely a part of the charm and character of the hotel but with much thought and consideration for our guest the decision was made to change them. We hope to see you again soon in the very near future!