“Average Accommodations; Pleasant Front Desk Staff; Not-So-Pleasant Bellmen”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #41 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Houston, Texas
“Average Accommodations; Pleasant Front Desk Staff; Not-So-Pleasant Bellmen”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

When we arrived at the hotel, the front desk associate (Tishum, I believe her name was) was gracious, and gave us information on tours while our room was being inspected. Upon arrivng in our room, we found it to be very small, but serviceable. A few areas of concern did arise during our stay, one of them immediately resolved (plumbing issue with our toilet).

-The ceiling fan was on a dimmer switch, and made an awful buzzing noise. As I am a light sleeper, I had to keep the fan off. Not a big deal as the A/C worked flawlessly, but had there not been any A/C, it would have been a struggle.

-The bathroom light is also on a dimmer switch, and on occasion, would flicker even at full brightness.

-On the website, it states that the rooms have fully stocked minibar refrigerators. Neither my wife, nor I saw one in our room (513). It had everything else, but that.

-I found out on the last day of our stay the T.V. was out of commission. Not a big deal as we were leaving, but it needed to be addressed.

-The walls are VERY thin as I could hear housekeepers cleaning above us while we were trying to sleep. Again, this goes back to me being a light sleeper, so I was not too thrilled.

Upon our departure, I accidentally lost a couple of my luggage claim tickets, and asked if I could go to the luggage closet to verify my bags with the bellman. I am not sure the name of the bellman, but he was very sarcastic, and initially unwilling to allow me to verify my luggage. As we were in a hurry to get to the airport, I did NOT appreciate his sarcasm. I am in the Hospitality industry myself, and take customer service VERY seriously. I was able to collect my luggage, but I wanted to make it aware.

Overall, it was an average experience, but I would be hesitant to stay again upon my next trip to D.C.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank txtraveler1980
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Greetings txtraveler1980,

Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that we did not meet you full expectations and have read your comments carefully.
We take all of our comments serious and use them as a tool to train and to improve our service. I hope that you will visit us again someday in the future.

Corrado Palenzona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Hungarian first
Upstate New York
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at Hotel Lombardy for a week in July 2014. This was my second stay there, and it was again excellent. I was in DC for sightseeing.

The hotel is older, but in a charming way. It has character. The registration staff was excellent. I asked for a quiet room on an upper floor, and that's what they gave me. The maid service was very good. The bathroom is an older style, but clean and comfortable. The Wi-Fi is free, and it works rather well. I continue to enjoy this hotel, and I told them so as I left.

The only oddity was that there was a light in my closet (of all things) that had been wired to be on all the time - you could see where the switch had been removed and the wiring connected directly. I didn't want light coming out from around the closet door all night, so I found a way to loosen the bulb until it shut off. They really should put the switch back in or remove the light.

But nothing is perfect. The hotel is a mere three blocks from a Metro station (Farragut West) - wonderful. I'll stay again if the price is reasonable.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Greetings DClover,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. In reference to the closet light, we will research to see which room so that we can have that fixed immediately. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a night's get away to DC from VA. Lovely, quiet, clean, excellent staff, and charming hotel. It was a perfect stay! Friendly, helpful staff. The lounge was extremely cozy, quaint and really relaxing. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ours was to be a king room, but upon arrival and chatting with the staff, they upgraded us to a King...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings Kimberly D,

Thank you for posting your comments, we are glad that you took the time to do so and that you enjoyed your visit.

I hope to see you again soon.

Concord
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was not our first time in DC, but it was our first time staying here. We came with a small wedding party. We did not make our reservations at the same time as our friends, but the hotel was very accommodating in getting us all on the same floor. Very charming rooms, friendly staff, and a great location will bring is back next time we're in DC.

• Stayed March 2014
Greetings Stewbaby116,

Thank you for posting your comments, we are glad that you had a chance to stay here at our hotel on your visit to DC this time and we are delighted that you enjoyed it.

We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were only in DC for a night, but I was really impressed with this hotel. Such charm, and we had a lovely room...wish we'd been able to stay here longer! Nice staff, and very friendly bellboy. The location is great although we were on a private tour for most of the day so I'm not sure exactly how far it was from the National Mall etc. But would definitely recommend to anyone!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Greetings KelsterSA,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments, we are glad that you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again soon.

Dubai
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our final night prior to an early morning flight out of Dulles.

We drove into D.C. from Virginia and while the hotel is easy to find, it is off a kind of slip road and there were road works as well so we had to go round the block twice before we could work out where to park!

The hotel were great at providing us with an early check in, and because the room type we'd booked wasn't free they upgraded us. A lovely sized room and sitting room for such a central location. The sitting room overlooked Pennsylvania Ave and it was quite noisy but the bedroom faced away from the road so was absolutely fine noise wise.

We obviously arrived at a very busy time and the bell guy/door man wasn't as helpful as he could have been. However, it was busy and absolutely tipping it down with rain.

Due to busy-ness we weren't given any introduction to our room, so didn't find the mini bar until after we'd ordered room service and didn't know where the coffee was the following morning. Also when we left the hotel after checking in and was trying to catch a taxi, the doorman said he was too busy to help us, so we were in the middle if the road, not really sure which direction we wanted to go and didn't get any help.

Other than that, the hotel really was good. We had a huge king size bed which was super comfortable, the bathroom was great and the sitting room was also good.

It's well located to get into downtown areas. Also the fact it's on the west side of town meant easy access to the airport. Would be more than happy to stay here again if we were back in DC.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank bigkisses
Greetings bigkisses,

Thank you for your comments. We are glad that overall you enjoyed you room and your stay here at the hotel. I apologize that you were not greeted properly, despite the hotel being busy, we strive to provide the best service to all of our guests at all time and we hope that you will visit us again soon, so that we can make that up to you.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I wote a review once before for the hotel, but realized I didn't indicate how much I enjoy the restaurant. The menu is excellent, the wonderful waiter knows the menu and can advise you on gluten free. In addition to a great meal with excellent service, you get a lovely view out the window.

Room Tip: I have stayed here several times and have never had a room that wasn't just ride.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Greetings K B,

Thank you for returning to post your comments about our Cafe, I am glad that you enjoyed it and we hope to see you again soon.