“A charming hotel in a convenient location”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #31 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Our nicely-decorated standard room was small, but its peripheral spaces -- a kitchenette with a table and two chairs and a dressing room between the big closet and the bath -- made it seem more like a suite. Every amenity was on hand -- iron, full-size ironing board, hair dryer, refrigerator, large flat-screen television.

The room was air-conditioned, of course, and there was also a welcome ceiling fan. The fan wasn't working the first night, but the switch was repaired the next day.

When rain threatened, the desk lent us a big umbrella.

The hotel is in Foggy Bottom, not the most exciting or interesting neighborhood in itself, but within easy walking distance of two neighborhoods that are: DuPont Circle and Georgetown. It is also only three blocks from the Farragut West Metro station, so it's very easy to travel anywhere in the city.

The staff was gracious and helpful. We will stay at this hotel again the next time we are in Washington.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,216)

Reviewed 14 June 2009

The Hotel Lombardy was a nice, historic hotel. The room was spacious enough and comfortable. The area was great - lots of eateries nearby to choose from (try Founding Farmers accross the street for any meal - delicious) - and within walking distance of many DC attractions.
We stayed for 6 days, and unfortunately, our room was barely made up for the first 4. No new shampoo or towels and one day, our bed wasn't even made (the blankets were just pulled up and tidied). Obviously there was a shift change after that, because our room was immaculate the next 2 nights. Our amenities were fully replenished, and the carpet was even vaccumed (!).
If you have any questions about the area - the front desk staff is not terribly helpful. They often seemed put out that we were bothering them with questions (this was mostly the female staff - the men were all very friendly and helpful), so be prepared to get your information elsewhere.
The first day, we booked a bus tour throught the front desk, only to find out it wasn't running that day due to the Memorial Day parade - so we had it changed to the next day. The next day, we went to catch our bus and waited over 45 minutes before giving up and taking another tour. When we brought our (unused) tickets back to the front desk, we were told that it was non-refundable and they were not responsible if the buses weren't running. The front desk manager was downright rude and argumentative.
Having said that - as far as the hotel is concerned - it was nice, they just need to work on their customer service.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2009

I read lots of reviews about the hotel and two things stuck out in my mind since people mentioned them often enough: the "loud elevator" and the "rude staff". My stay at the Hotel Lombardy confirmed one of these (the front desk staff really aren't very welcoming) and denied the other (the elevator really isn't that loud, unless you're staying in a room right next to it).

Overall, I had a great stay. My room (414) was very small by American standards, but it was cozy, VERY clean (the bathroom was truly spotless, and I looked carefully), and well appointed.

We found that by leaving a nice tip each day for the housekeeping staff (advice to all: LEAVE A TIP FOR THE HOUSEKEEPING STAFF!! - they work hard and provide you with a nice service you don't get at home - $3-4 per day is fine) we received nice "extras" - extra chocolates at night, and a general sense that they spent more time cleaning and straightening our room to perfection.

Personally, I really liked the elevator. True, you sometimes have to wait for a staff person, but c'mon - relax a little, people! It's hand-driven, small, charming, full of "character" and fun. Don't demand perfection and speed with the elevator and you'll enjoy the unique experience. Since I was on the 4th floor, I often walked up and down the stairs, for exercise.

I'm only giving 4 stars (instead of 5) since the front desk reception was not at all welcoming. On two occasions the front desk was staffed by a young woman (different woman each time). One was yapping on the phone (to a friend) when I walked up and did not acknowledge my presence for an uncomfortable 30 seconds until I made an obvious "displeased" hand motion, and the second time there was the barest minimum of a welcoming presence. I really recommend that the Hotel Lombardy management correct this poor service since it starts the customers off on a sour note. Very poor.

Aside from the lousy front desk service, everything else is great. Try the Venetian Lounge on the first floor - small, cozy, bar/lounge with a bartender who enjoys people and loves his job (he said this!). Cozy sofas, and romantic nooks tucked away in corners.

Within a two-block radius: Bank of America ATM, a wonderful excellent restaurant called Founding Farmers (I ate there THREE times, it was that good) and The George Washington University. The DC Circulator bus (only $1!) stops practically outside the front door of the hotel, at 21st and I streets. Clean, cheap, comfortable, and arrives every 10 minutes to take you to DC's favorite destinations. I really recommend it. Ditch the car and parking hassles, and take this well-designed service.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I have stayed in Lombardy in May 2009. I was on a business trip, and have several meetings in World Bank so the location of the hotel was excellent for me. It is only 5-7 minutes walk from a White House, and many sightseeing destinations. Also there are many cafes, restaurants and CVS pharmacies nearby. (there you can find food and pharmacies, as well as parfumes and cosmetics)
The hotel staff is not much helpfull, but there was a manager MILAN KOVILJAC, who was excellent. He was doing heis best to make the stay of the guests as comfortable as possible. So, when visiting, ensure that he is the person who checks you in, believe me, he remembers all the guests, and their requests. He can also advise where to go, how, how to plan for a sightseeing. In one world he is the best at this hotel. And all my points are because of his excellent management.
Overall the hotel is convenient, with very very large rooms. I have stayed in a superior king room, but it was a double size of any 5 star hotel room in Europe. Also there was a kitchenette in the room, so you can make your coffe or tea in the room. The refrigerator was also helpfull

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
10  Thank ANNMoscow
Reviewed 1 June 2009

Stayed at the hotel Memorial day weekend. Arrived that Fri at 9:30PM. Women at the front desk was not pleasant, very curt. The The Bell Hop and Elevator operator were all very pleasant. We stayed on the top floor, which is 11. I do not recommend staying up that high, as the Elevator system is very old, and you can hear the machinery at all hours of the day and evening. The room was very clean, nothing fancy, typical all white. Very comfortable king size bed. The maid service had one hangup. She never provided wash clothes or shampoo, I had to call for these items every evening. The location to everything was great. I don't recommend breakfast just because of the cost, just check out the menu. There is a Starbucks to the left of the hotel. Directly across from the hotel is a small mall where there is an Au Bon Pain. I purchased breakfast from there each day. I would definitly stay again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Perfect location by GWU and subway station. Coffee cafes easy to find north of the location. The staff is sometimes hard to locate but polite. Clean room, but small. I liked the old world charm of the building - if these walls could talk - but that doesn't mean the room was musty or tired feeling. Window faced a parking lot and office building - nothing to look at but car traffic was minimum. Recommend restaurant: Friend of Framers across the street. Overall overpriced for size of room and amenities, but worth it for the cleanliness, quiet, and convenience to White House and main attractions.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 May 2009

This is a boutique hotel VERY large rooms more like an apartment, and lovely staff. We totally enjoyed our stay. Located in Foggy Bottom. Great bathroom, great bed and really good food. We were there in Jan 31st 2009 to see a friend speak at the Smithsonian and would stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family