“Don't even think about staying here...”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #40 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
New York
“Don't even think about staying here...”
Reviewed 25 August 2009

On a trip to D.C. for my sons graduation we stayed at the Lombardi. Having read the reviews I thought it a safe bet. Well what a rediculous time we had there. First off the sheets had holes in them and when the maids came they didn't understand english so trying to explain it was difficult. Our bathroom door didn't stay closed. I was staying with my son so this was uncomfortable for us both. I reported it to the front desk and the manager and it never was even looked at in the 3 days we were there. Oh, by the way the bathrooms are very small and old. O.k. if that isn't enough when we went to the bar after eating out one night, around 10;00, it was closed. When I enquired as to why it was closed I was told there were'nt enough people in the bar so the bartender went home. The elevator was another unusual experience. It was the old fashioned sort where you need someone to operate it. At first I thougfht it was quaint.but the man operating it was never around to bring you up. Luckily, we were on the third floor so we used the stairs. The food wasn't bad but there are so many other better places to stay and eat in D.C. Upon checking out I asked to see the manager to express my dissatisfaction .he never came. Don't waste your time or money here.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank bica1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Hungarian first
Virginia
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed here in early August, 2009. My spouse had stayed here a few nights for business several years ago. Both times, it has been fine. It rates 3 1/2 stars, easily.

It is close to the Metro, and there are a suprising number of restaurants in a few blocks (because of GWU, I'm sure. It used to be that downtown DC closed up at 5:00 pm).

In our most recent stay, the room had all the amenities of most remodeled hotels, with all the comforters and robes. The room was a good size (we were fortunate to get one on the front of the hotel, with a view over Penn. Ave, but needed to keep the blinds closed from the afternoon sun).

We did go into the lounge for a late-evening cocktail with friends. It is unusually decorated, and cozy, and the bartender was great. Of course, she wasn't very busy.

I do want to say that the basic management and front-house staff made me a just a slight bit nervous. So I recommend keeping a good watch on your valuables, not drinking out of the glasses in the room, and besides that, enjoy your stay.

Our friends who stayed in another room had an uncomfortable experience, coming back into the room about 6:30 pm, and finding a maid in the room who couldn't explain her presence.

But still, I would stay there again, if we find a good deal for the room.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank consaac
South Carolina
Reviewed 15 August 2009

When we booked our stay, we were not aware of the construction going on in front of the hotel. The construction, which is on the sidewalk, makes it difficult to get in and out of the hotel and also makes loading and unloading difficult. When we checked in, the front desk clerk was rude - he had to remove his ear buds to answer our questions and then only gave us the briefest responses. The doormen were friendly and helpful, but weren't always easy to find. Our room was clean and in order when we arrived. We stayed five days and only had problems with housekeeping once - we came back at 4:30 pm to find our room unserviced. When my husband called down, they sent someone up about 30 minutes later and she took care of it. The other major problem with our stay was on Friday afternoon. We came back to the room about 2 pm to take a nap. At 3:15, we were awaken by loud music coming from the courtyard behind the hotel. When my husband called the front desk to inquire about the noise, he was informed it was an employee party, which should end about 4, and we were basically told to deal with the noise. At this point, it almost seemed like they increased the noise of the music. On Saturday morning, we woke up to the sound of construction - they were renovating a room on our hall. Overall, I was not pleased with my experience. The location is great - about 2 blocks either direction to the metro and close to some good restaurants. The bath products were all Bath and Body Works and were really nice. The bed was comfortable and the rooms were decent. However, the hotel struck me as very creepy - like the hotel in The Shining. Oh, and their "cardio room" consisted of two treadmills, an exercise bike, a stair master and an eliptical. Not very exercise friendly...

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed 6 August 2009

The hotel is conveniently located - 2 blocks from metro and there is a circulator bus stop across the street which takes you to Georgetown.

The bellboys/elevator operators were very friendly. However, the lady at the front desk who checked us in did not come across as welcoming. A smile would help. The room was bigger than I expected - there was a living area plus a separate bedroom with a king-size bed. The bellboys kept telling us that we got a great room. It was only afterwards when I checked the hotel website that I realized I was upgraded to a suite. Interesting that the lady at the front desk didn't mention anything.

Negatives: There is no in-room safe. Also, upon check-out, I was asked by the bellboy if I needed a cab (to the Reagan airport) to which I said yes. He tried for 2 minutes and then told me to get in one of those black lincoln sedans. I questioned the bellboy saying that it wasn't what I asked for but he said "It's OK. He works for us and he charges the same as a cab." It was raining hard at the time so I got in the car. I asked the driver how he was going to charge me and he said the flat rate is $25, same as a cab. I did take a cab from the airport to the hotel and it costed me under $20 including tips. I also recall reading the rates posted inside the cab and there was something about a ceiling rate of $25 between the airport and the hotel area. I told the driver that it costed me under $20 and there was no "flat rate" and he mumbled something about the $25 included luggage which wasn't true as my luggage was small and the cab didn't charge me luggage fee. As I was enroute to the airport, I didn't want any delays so I didn't fight with him.

Lesson being don't let the bellboys flag you one of "his cars", make sure you get a cab.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Pontardawe, Wales
Reviewed 5 August 2009

The Lombardy is situated about 4 blocks from the 'White House' on Pennsylvania Ave, which is ideal for walking to the tourist sights of DC. A rather quaint hotel in many ways, with a clanky noisy lift which didn't bother us (due to walking everywhere and Jet-lag). The top-floor room was spacious well equipped and the staff in the hotel were extremely friendly and courteous. The bed was large, the room was clean and smelled fresh - which wasn't always the case with hotels I stayed in, in the USA!
Breakfast was expensive, but worth it, as the quality was excellent. There are a number of bars and restaurants near the hotel (some across the road) which offer, relatively cheap meals and all in all, I'd recommend it highly to any visitor to the city, if your going to DC for the first time. I'd certainly stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CliveGerrard
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2009

This hotel is a few blocks from the metro and walking distance to the White House.
The hotel is in an excellent location for shopping, sightseeing and museums.
Across the street is a small mall with Au Bon Pan, CVS, Johnny Rockets etc etc.
The hotel was spotless clean and boutique in feel, beautiful bedding, great style (asian mock antique furniture, shuttered doors etc). Good quality soaps etc...my only 'complaint' was the front desk staff were just not friendly. I don't know if it was a cultural thing but the two women who checked us in seemed miserable and unhelpful. Hardly a smile or a friendly welcome.
I got a good last minute cheap rate on expedia and would certainly choose this as our hotel of choice when we return but hope the team there get a little more cheerful! :)
Oh WIRELESS internet might be nice too! (smile)

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank stooshpr
Norfolk, VA
Reviewed 27 July 2009

It was through this web site that I made the decision to stay at the Hotel Lombardy. It was an excellent decision. Upon arrival a bellman took my bags out of my car for me and placed them off to the side near the check in desk. Once I was checked in the bellman took my bags to the elevator and then took me to my room. The elevators I found out are original to the building and are over 80 years old. They are manned and I found that charming. A little on the small side of an elevator but not an inconvenience at all. Once we got to my floor the bellman took my bags to my room for me. I felt that since the same man that took my bags from my car also delivered them to my room that a tip was appropriate. I did not tip on each elevator trip. I was very fortunate I got a free upgrade and the room was a suite. The room was super clean. It had a full bath, a master bedroom with a king size bed, flat screen tv and a large closet. The bedroom faced the back of the hotel as well as alley and across the way some offices. The blinds in the room were perfect for blocking all of that out. I should also comment that the room was very quiet. There was a large sitting room with a couch, 2 chairs, a flat screen tv as well as a desk that was at the window facing out. There was also a breakfast nook and a simple kitchen.

I was traveling alone for a conference and felt safe every moment. The hotel was very clean. The staff was very helpful - when I was looking for a good place for dinner the recommended a great italian place.

The desk in the living room had hook up for free internet.

Location wise I thought it was perfect. I walked everywhere from the moment I got there. My conference was at George Washington University, directly across the street. Also across the street was a "mall" of sorts that had a CVS in it, a couple of restaurants and an Au Bon Pain in it. Needless to say that was my first stop for coffee and and a croissant each day.

I walked to the White House as well as down to the mall from the hotel. It was very central to all of my needs.

Once it was time to check out - I stopped by the front desk and told them I was going to go get coffee for the trip home and then I would be ready for my car. Before I even got across the street my car was out front waiting for me from valet. The loaded my bags for me and when I came back I was ready to go.

I would DEFINITELY come to this charming hotel again.

P.S. Just as a side note - the windows in this hotel open, unusual for most hotels, I found it wonderful to have the fresh air and listen to the city below.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business