“wonderful retreat!”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #31 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Great alternative to all-too-much-the-same modern hotels!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,232)

Reviewed 10 October 2009

Hotel Lombardy was the hotel I chose with my two adult children (stayed in a separate room) and I feel like we had a bargin. The elevator was interesting as it is another historical monument. We made use of going down the stairs but that is our style.

We would have enjoyed it more if our bathroom was cleaner, but I would go back to Lombardy if our path took us back to DC. Nice restaurant and bar located on-site.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2009

The Hotel Lombardy was wonderful. We walked to Georgetown and took the Metro to all of DC. The rooms were spacious and the staff was so nice. The coolest thing is the historic elevator that the staff operate to get us up to our rooms. Very nice place to stay if you want to be close to it all, but not in it all.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My husband and I went to Washington DC this summer and stayed at the Hotel Lombardy for a week. The hotel was better than I could've imagined! Very friendly staff and they were very accomodating throughout the entire week. The hotel was extremely clean and was located in great spot! We walked to the White House (just about 3 blocks down) every morning, along with other attractions that were very close by. Would definitely recommend this to a friend and will definitely stay again on our next trip to D.C.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2009

This hotel positions itself as being premier, so I think they hurt themselves by setting false expectations of grandeur. It is charming and is in a convenient location, but I don't know if that makes it worth the money for me. Firstly, we were told that there was only valet parking available, and then the attendant acted as though it was a huge inconvenience to park the car. He suggested that we find street parking, and when we declined he was visibly perturbed. We got to the room and the decor was lovely, but the AC did not cool the room. I understand that it is a historic building, but for $130/night they could seriously invest in some more fans or something. By the end of the night, I was rubbing cool washcloths on my forehead to beat the heat. In Hotel Lombardy's defense, I did not complain about the heat so I can't say whether they would have offered something or not. It was a nice experience, but I will definitely try somewhere different on my next trip to DC.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I was so impressed with this hotel. It is very charming with many original details. We were within walking distance of many great sights. Our room was huge (except for the bathroom itself) and had a sitting area/small kitchen. The decorations were impeccable. The elevator took forever, so we used the stairs and it was no problem. My only complaint was that their bar seemed to close quite early.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

If you spend several hundred dollars for a night in a hotel, maybe its me but I expect service. The attitude at the front desk (I checked in late afternoon) left alittle to be desired. After checking in, the lifts... They are manual. And there are only 2. For a ~10 story building with ~15 rooms to a floor. Thus, we waited. And waited. I ended up taking the stairs to my 4th floor room. Worse: the next morning, one of the lifts was down for what looked like maintenance. Room itself was v clean, functional. Seperate kitchen, flat screen TV and Kohler shower head a nice touch. Provided toiletries were lower-end and whilst I expect mini bar prices to be stupidly expensive, these ones set a new record. I did not eat the restaurant attached (Georgetown is a 15 min walk down the road: failing there, there's a good sports bar 3 blocks east). All in all? The location saved this one which is the only reason I'd recommend it to a friend. Yes, the rooms were v clean but not memorable. The "other bits" however tended to overshadow this in my opinion..

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo