“Won't stay here again”

Ranked #76 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Won't stay here again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

As another reviewer has commented, there is a noisy building project going on next door, so impossible to nap on arrival after a long flight or lie-in beyond 7am in the mornings.

Beyond this, I could not get a table for breakfast. My room was poorly lit and the whole place feels tired. The receptionist didn't even take the trouble to ask me how my stay had been when I checked out, this was typical of the poor level of service I received during my stay.

At USD 278 a night plus tax, this was poor value for money and I could not recommend it. Disappointing, as I am planning to return with my wife in the future.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark D
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
My sincerest apologies that you were dissapointed with your overall stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn. We are undergoing an expansion and I'm sorry to hear that our accomodations did not satisfy you, as it is our responsibiltiy in making sure that our guests have a pleasant experience while with us. I will be sure to foward your comments on to my staff.
I appreciate your honesty.

Mohamad Taha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and luckily it was a weekend, so no construction work. We enjoyed our stay.
Awesome location every thing is near by, walking distance
Complementary breakfast and free wifi .

Will love to visit again

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sandhu7497
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank You for submitting a review regarding your most recent stay. Your comments are very important to us. I'm happy to know that your stay was delightful and that our location worked out perfect for you.
Please keep us in mind for any future stays.

Best,

Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

es there is construction (Sept 28, 2013) and it is noisy during the day as they are moving dirt. Probably will not be as much a problem when they get to the vertical construction phase. Had a smallish but well equipped room in the back. Coffee maker, fridge, free wi-fi and wired internet, continental brekkie, Washington Post available in the lounge, desk with chair and another chair, blackout curtains and a fully controllable air conditioning heating system but no safe in the room. That would be a nice touch. Due to size of the room a small flat screen TV was in an armoire perpendicular to the bed...not good for lying in bed and watching TV but you can always sit in the lounge chair. That was just this room 304. Closest Metro is Convention Center.Stay here..we loved it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
I'm very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn. Amid our expansion, I'm delighted to know that your accomodations were met and that we provided oustanding service. I appreciate your comments and will be happy to pass them on to the staff.

Thank You and we hope you visit us again!

Gold Canyon, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

On September 15 I booked two rooms at the Morrison-Clark for one night. The hotel is a charming historic hotel and a great location. Checkin was fine and we were pleased with our rooms. We were told at checkin that breakfast was served until 10am.

At 7am the next morning we were awakened to full on bulldozers below our window. This was not from the street but on hotel property!! We were given a room next to massive renovations. There was no way to get further sleep. So we got ready for the day and proceeded to the dining room for a 9:00am breakfast. When we got to the dining room we were told there was no longer any breakfast. They discontinued serving breakfast and had a small buffet that they also were putting away.

We proceeded to the manager who assured us they would work with Expedia to give us compensation for our bad experience. Expedia has attempted to work with the hotel as well, but they were told there is no compensation.

Under the current state of construction I could not recommend this hotel to anyone. You just don't know what you will get and the management is not willing to stand behind poor service.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel until the renovations are complete. And then be cautious as customer servi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Rebecca T
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 September 2013
I sincerley apologize that your stay was less than pleasant. The Morrison-Clark Inn is undergoing an expansion where we expect the interfernce to be minimal. It is dissapointing to know that your accomodations were not fully met because of it. Our top priority is providing outstanding customer service and resloution, and your feedback helps us target problem areas that can be prevented in the future.
Please contact me or my Front Office Manager so that we may discuss compensation with you.
We never like to have our guests walk away dissastisfied.

Rimini, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

My review will be very short:
- good location (5 min walk from the nearest subway - 15 min walk from the White House)
- really nice rooms (complimentary water and wi-fi appreciated)
- Kind and helpful staff
- only negative point: our room was on the street level so we couldn't open the curtains as people could easily see us inside.
Totally recommend it!

Room Tip: if you want more light, avoid street level rooms as you can't open the curtains
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank Your for staying with us and for providing a very direct and honest opinion regarding your stay.
I appreciate your comments and very thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to share them with the staff of the Morrison-Clark Inn.

Please do not hesitate in staying with us in the future.

Tweed Heads, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in Room 313. Close to the elevator but heard no noise only disturbance was the occasional siren. Room clean and was a good size with a desk an extra large comfortable chair. Bed was comfortable. Staff courteous helpful and friendly. We did not eat at the Hotel as within a couple of blocks there are a number of places for breakfast and a number of well priced Asian restaurants as well as more expensive ones in 9th St. We felt safe in the area and walked at night in the general area. Free Wifi worked well. There is a coin operated laundry within a block. Close enough to walk to Smithsonian and Metro train at corner of 11th and G St ( to Arlington and Smithsonian). Hope we have the opportunity of staying again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing 11th St would be away from any construction work.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our location worked out perfectly for you. It is always great to hear when we have met our guests expectations and such nice comments are said about our service.
Thank You for taking the time to review your stay and should your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC, please do not hesitate in staying with us.

Worcester, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Morrison-Clark Inn is a beautiful, historic building and our room was clean and very comfortable. Breakfast in the dining room was delicious and fairly priced, although we did not have dinner. We found the staff very helpful and appreciated all of their recommendations, from where we could get a manicure to what was the best trolley tour. The location was easy for sightseeing, but we did indulge in a (very inexpensive) cab to get to the Smithsonian.

The only downside - we were caught off guard at check-out time by the cost to park. While not surprising for a big city, we could not recall that it was ever disclosed. (we booked via hotels.com)

Even considering that though, I would stay at this charming hotel again, and I would recommend to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thank You for such kind words regarding your most recent stay at the Morrison-Clark Inn.
I appreciate you taking the time to let other fellow travelers know about your experience with us and all of the amenities that you took advantage of.
Your comments will be shared with members of my staff as well as the great employees whose primary goal is in providing outstanding customer service.