“Weekend away.”

Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on several occasions. We choose it because it is a good value on the weekends and close to the Metro. Currently they are undergoing a major addition to the property. It would have been nice to know they would be working at 7 a.m. on a weekend morning. Hopefully included in this is renovations to the existing structure. The guest and public rooms are looking tired and worn. Our bathroom had a constant dripping tub faucet and the handles to the shower which turn every which way would not tighten sufficiently. The continental breakfast offered for free is nothing special and when they run out of things an hour or more before it is over they do not offer anything else. The wine in the afternoon is not offered, you must specifically ask for it, and the two choices are bare bones types. They do not bring it out and only bring out one glass. The cookies they have sitting out look dry and right out of a box. They also run out of newspapers. None of these issues should exist as they know in advance how many guests are staying there. If anything they should have more than enough so as not to appear cheap. Most likely will consider another property next time, at least until the renovations are complete.

Room Tip: Do not count on any space in the rooms. They are very small.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear MidwestGirl58,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for the feedback on our hotel. We're grateful for your repeated stays with us and we hope to have you back again soon. As you mentioned, we are currently expanding and we will also be doing a full restoration of the existing historic Inn. We try our best to make people aware of the situation, both through these TripAdvisor responses and our own website. I'm so sorry that the information on the construction was not relayed in full regarding potential noise Monday through Saturday. As you may have experienced in previous stays, our Restaurant's a la carte breakfast, lunch, dinner and cocktail menus were extraordinary. Since the restaurant is currently closed, we offer a small continental breakfast and a glass of wine to those travelers who were anticipating dining with us. It can be a challenge, at times, to know ahead of time those who intend to enjoy our offerings and those who booked the hotel knowing the restaurant was closed and pre-planned to have meals elsewhere. Since everything on the menu is delivered fresh daily, once it is gone we do not have additional items in stock to put out. It sounds like on the weekend you stayed, we were off the mark on our estimates, and I apologize for that error. I hope you will consider staying with us again. We are anticipating completion of the project to be late summer at which time I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have stayed here several times while on business in DC and love it. Not only is the place full of history but it is cozy and the staff is very welcoming. Yes the rooms are small and yes you do not get the same kind of amenities that you would at a larger property but if that is what you are looking for then you should go else where. The staff is great and very accommodating. The rooms are small however they are very clean and well maintained. The location is great as well. You are about a 10 minute walk away from most attractions including downtown for sightseeing, dupont circle for eating and drinking and the convention center.

As for construction I only noticed it once in the morning during my stay. I believe the construction happens during the day so if you are planning on hanging around the room all day you may be impacted. However if you are out and about you will not notice it.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor in order to minimize traffic noise.
1  Thank Taimata
Reviewed 3 March 2014

If you like old historic properties this is a neat place to stay. You will be paying primarily for location, though. Rooms are tiny, amenities are not typical of what you would find in a more modern hotel - TV is tiny for example. Street noise is definitely an issue, and the exercise room consists of exactly two machines. I work nearby, and stay here when I have an early or late meeting and want to avoid my long commute. Not sure how others read the rooms as spacious - but maybe there is a wider variety than i have experienced.

Room Tip: try for an upper floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

jadedtravelista,

Thank you for such an honest review. I think you'll be thrilled once you stay with us following the expansion and restoration. The TVs are getting bigger and wall mounted, the exercise room is relocating to a space within the new building, and we will have a wider variety of room sizes to choose from. If you're interested in a larger room, let the Agent know when you call to book the next time. Our current room types (Standard, Victorian, Parlor Suite) vary in size, which may be why some reviewers say their room is spacious and others say they wished theirs was larger.
Thank you for continued support of the Morrison Clark. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

I return here every year to stay while on a work-related trip. If you like character and a bit of historic charm, then this a wonderful place to go. They are currently in the middle of renovations, but that will only make it better. They offset the daytime construction with a complimentary continental breakfast and a glass of wine. Staff is always A+, so friendly, and so accommodating. And thanks to Teshome this time around! Very helpful and pleasant. Also, much better value than some of the larger hotels around (averaged $110/night versus $280/night just up the street).

3  Thank wolfseye1022

wolfseye1022,

What a wonderful review! Thank you for your very kind words about all of our staff and especially for recognizing Teshome's outstanding customer service efforts. We are grateful for guests such as yourself, who visit their home away from home in DC every year. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Of the dozen or so DC area hotels I have used in this price range,.the Morrison-Clark would be in the bottom 25 percent. Between average and poor on the Tripadvisor system. My rating of three stars leans a bit on the generous side.

Location was good - convenient to downtown, an easy walk from Convention Center / Mt Vernon Metro. Building is a little hard to find because of construction fencing at the front.
Advice: If you are taking a taxi or walking, note that the entrance to the hotel is on 11th St NW just north of L.

Breakfast - a few pastries with a bit of fruit, served with juices and coffee. Would benefit from a bit of yogurt or cheese or boiled eggs to come up to Motel 6 standards.
Advice: If you crave protein for breakfast, do a bit of shopping in advance.

Rooms - this is an old historic building with unique rooms, so mileage will vary.
I was assigned a room on the main floor that looked nice, but was right on the active construction site next door. And I knew I would sleep in a bit in the morning so I requested another room. Front desk graciously accommodated the request.
I was reassigned to a smaller darker room at street level. Room was quiet but lacked privacy. Bathroom tub stopper did not work. Staff fixed it nicely on request. Heating system had a bit of trouble keeping up in unusually bitter weather. Wardrobe was too short to hang slacks to unwrinkle.
Advice: YMMV as in most older properties. Ask about the staff to describe your room at check in.

Service: Staff were pleasant, from front desk to dining room to repair person. No complaints.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you, Aversetospam, for your review of our hotel.
I'm happy hear that our staff were so attentive to your needs. Our team is our greatest asset and it's always appreciated to have their efforts recognized. I'm sorry to hear of the challenges you experienced with the hotel but rest assured, many of the issues you had will be resolved for future guests once the hotel completes its' restoration this summer. Our entrance will be on L Street again and no longer on 11th Street. We will also be re-opening our full restaurant and will serve a la carte menus with a wider variety of options. All of our guestrooms will be getting an upgrade - we will keep our historic charm but will have even more amenities and new decor and furnishings for all rooms. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again on your next visit to Washington, DC.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Lovely building with spacious rooms, right in downtown in walking distance of tons of sites and good food. Construction going on while I was there so I awoke to that every morning, but I had to be up for work anyway so if you plan to sleep in, probably not the best choice. Staff was always friendly. If you want to stay in a beautiful, historic building then this is a great option!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JennaTX55
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank You JennaTX55 for such nice comments.
I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at the Morrison Clark Historic Inn and that you found our location and staff convenient and pleasant.
Please do not hesitate in staying with us again when your travel plans bring you back to Washington DC.

Best Regards,

Mohamad Taha

Reviewed 12 January 2014

We were booked here for a corporate trip and neither of us can understand why. We wonder if people even read reviews. As a matter of fact; the only great thing was a restaurant that is located near here; Casa Lucca. I'm not writing their review in this one though. What needs to be known is the construction needs to be finished first before you stay here. The prime indicator is they really do leave ear plugs on your bed. Really? Okay, then, no restaurant attached BECAUSE of the construction. And really not a great "walking" distance from much. There were MANY closer, nicer places to stay to DC's main attractions. IF you are looking for a lesser (But not cheaper) place to stay, well, then, maybe.... BUT there were lots to consider. FIRST, wait till AFTER construction. They were a nice staff; not personal, but nice. The rooms were clean. Small compared to what we are use to... but clean. The walk to anywhere could be tolerable, but in in-climate weather, otherwise forget it!! And I ended up walking clear across DC in the freezing rain cause a taxi was too hard for the staff to find. A taxi anywhere was hard for me to find that night. The hotel; out of the way, LOUD, not to much there but the old world charm and friendly staff. (Now, the staff that were there were there the whole time of our stay. Those particular staff members weren't un-nice to us. They did their jobs though and they did them politely even though they had nasty clients for the most of what I could see. There were a lot of people that thought they should be getting more. I contribute this to the construction. And lack of sleep because of it. I feel they didn't read the reviews. Over all: I wouldn't stay there again ESPECIALLY if under construction. But mostly because of what I thought the points of interest were and their detached nature of it. They did have quaint and charming going for them if it weren't for their construction of their addition. I hope this helps.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN AN INNER ROOM. Move to as high a room as you can carry your luggage. All the constru...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Heidi B

Thank You HeidisStudio for your review.
I apologize that your stay was less than pleasant due to the expansion of the Inn. Management, as well as the dedicated employees that we have, go above and beyond in making sure that the guest experience is satisfactory. My apologies that you were not satisfied.
I do hope that the current expansion does not deter you from returning to our property in the future, as I would love to welcome you back as a return guest when all is complete within the property.

Warm Wishes,