“Spend more somewhere else.”

Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #73 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Columbus, Ohio
“Spend more somewhere else.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The only reason I'm putting two stars is because of price and the staff are nice, but not personable. I'll just bullet point the reasons for disliking this whole experience at this hotel. I'm also not the type of person to send my food back because I order one side dish and received another; I understand people make mistakes.

- Dried blood stain on our pillow
- Hardly any water pressure in the shower
- Dripping noise all night directly above the bed (enough to stop a conversation)
- Had to interrupt the hotel staff so I could check out after 10 minutes of not being acknowledged
- My partner slipped down three of the front steps because for some god forsaken reason they decided to paint the stairs. Any one with a mobility disability or elderly you should avoid this hotel, especially in the rain.
- No one offered to assist with our luggage in or out of the hotel/room (half the reason for the slip)
- No television (I don't normally watch the tube anyways so that didn't bother me to much)

Needless to say I checked out within less than 24 hours of a stay there. I'm not sure how this place received over 3 stars in general with my experience there.

Room Tip: Do not pick 103 or "Pink Lady" room. Its ground level so you can hear every conversation t...
1 Thank Megan M
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Megan M,
Thank you for your review and feedback of our hotel. I’m so sorry to hear of your partner’s fall. I hope they are alright – please keep us updated. We are looking forward to the upcoming restoration of the existing Inn, which will eliminate many of the building issues you mentioned. Our front entrance will be relocating and it will be street level. The new entrance will be much more inviting during inclement weather conditions and for people of all abilities.
Our staff takes these reviews seriously and we were so disappointed to hear that we failed to hit the mark in so many departments. We appreciate that you took the time to review us so thoroughly; we will be using this information as educational tools for staff training to ensure that others do not encounter these issues. If you are in DC again, please consider staying with us. I am confident our building and our staff can rise to the level of service you expect from us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Morrison Clark hotel in Washington DC. It is within walking distance to many of the areas attractions (if you like to walk). It is about 4 blocks to the nearest Metro line (which is a great way to get around the DC area). Continental breakfast was weak, but the coffee was good. Their web page says "laundry and dry cleaning" service, but this means local companies pick it up and bring it back (no in-site capability). A coin laundromat is a block away. The room was OK, cozy. Could not watch TV from the bed. The bed was a bit lumpy but OK. Interior is charming, but we didn't hang in there much. Pricing was reasonable for a downtown venue. Construction going on right in front so the main entrance was not accessible. Noise was not an issue (since we were out and about all day anyway). Surrounding area is not the best, but we didn't encounter any issues. Staff was very friendly.

Stayed April 2014
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Ddrw,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and passing along these tips about the hotel and the area. We are close to Metro, which is an ideal way to get around the city. The laundry and dry cleaning at the hotel is full service - guests may drop their items off in the morning and we will have them cleaned and delivered to their room that afternoon. Our neighborhood, bordering the Penn Quarter and Shaw Districts, is a wonderful mix of businesses and families. Penn Quarter is well known for it's restaurants, culture, and entertainment venues. Shaw is mainly known as a residential area full of Victorian Era town homes such as ours. Being situated between the tourist areas of DC and the residential side, we find that guests love being able to feel like they're getting to know the real DC.
I hope that if you visit Washington, DC in the future you will consider staying with us again.
Milroy, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel was very romantic and cool at first. Staff was very friendly. Hotel rooms are fairly small but not too bad. Parking price is outrageous at $38 and the valet put a huge scuff and scratch on my car without telling me! Of course they weren't liable for it >.> would not recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Winchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I booked this on the strength of the Tripadvisor page thinking that the few negative comments were not the norm. I wrong could i be. On arrival there was considerable construction work going on on one side of the hotel, the receptionist said it wouldn't continue on Saturday, it did. The receptionist was surley and behaved as though our arrival was a major inconvenience, could barely be bothered to speak and certainly couldn't be bothered to engage. The porter was cheerful and helpful however and stepped in with advice when the receptionist failed to respond. The room was tiny with virtually no storage. Throughout the hotel and the room the decor was very tired, the carpets were grubby and there was a general feeling of a lack of care the bathroom was very tatty. The breakfast provided was actually good, I do wish staff would stop describing the breakfast as complimentary, it isn't, we paid for it! On departure another receptionist dealt with us but unfortunately she must have gone to the same charm school as the other one. Distracted, charmless, unhelpful and disinterested.

While not the most expensive hotel in Washington it is by no means cheap I could not recommend this hotel to anyone. If you are thinking of booking please believe all the other negative reviews and believe the pictures when they show you a construction site next door. Go somewhere else. I have only rated it as high as poor because the sheets and towels were at least clean.

Room Tip: DON'T book one at all
Bristol, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel on several occasions. We choose it because it is a good value on the weekends and close to the Metro. Currently they are undergoing a major addition to the property. It would have been nice to know they would be working at 7 a.m. on a weekend morning. Hopefully included in this is renovations to the existing structure. The guest and public rooms are looking tired and worn. Our bathroom had a constant dripping tub faucet and the handles to the shower which turn every which way would not tighten sufficiently. The continental breakfast offered for free is nothing special and when they run out of things an hour or more before it is over they do not offer anything else. The wine in the afternoon is not offered, you must specifically ask for it, and the two choices are bare bones types. They do not bring it out and only bring out one glass. The cookies they have sitting out look dry and right out of a box. They also run out of newspapers. None of these issues should exist as they know in advance how many guests are staying there. If anything they should have more than enough so as not to appear cheap. Most likely will consider another property next time, at least until the renovations are complete.

Room Tip: Do not count on any space in the rooms. They are very small.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear MidwestGirl58,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for the feedback on our hotel. We're grateful for your repeated stays with us and we hope to have you back again soon. As you mentioned, we are currently expanding and we will also be doing a full restoration of the existing historic Inn. We try our best to make people aware of the situation, both through these TripAdvisor responses and our own website. I'm so sorry that the information on the construction was not relayed in full regarding potential noise Monday through Saturday. As you may have experienced in previous stays, our Restaurant's a la carte breakfast, lunch, dinner and cocktail menus were extraordinary. Since the restaurant is currently closed, we offer a small continental breakfast and a glass of wine to those travelers who were anticipating dining with us. It can be a challenge, at times, to know ahead of time those who intend to enjoy our offerings and those who booked the hotel knowing the restaurant was closed and pre-planned to have meals elsewhere. Since everything on the menu is delivered fresh daily, once it is gone we do not have additional items in stock to put out. It sounds like on the weekend you stayed, we were off the mark on our estimates, and I apologize for that error. I hope you will consider staying with us again. We are anticipating completion of the project to be late summer at which time I look forward to welcoming you back.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

I have stayed here several times while on business in DC and love it. Not only is the place full of history but it is cozy and the staff is very welcoming. Yes the rooms are small and yes you do not get the same kind of amenities that you would at a larger property but if that is what you are looking for then you should go else where. The staff is great and very accommodating. The rooms are small however they are very clean and well maintained. The location is great as well. You are about a 10 minute walk away from most attractions including downtown for sightseeing, dupont circle for eating and drinking and the convention center.

As for construction I only noticed it once in the morning during my stay. I believe the construction happens during the day so if you are planning on hanging around the room all day you may be impacted. However if you are out and about you will not notice it.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor in order to minimize traffic noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Taimata
Lusby, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

If you like old historic properties this is a neat place to stay. You will be paying primarily for location, though. Rooms are tiny, amenities are not typical of what you would find in a more modern hotel - TV is tiny for example. Street noise is definitely an issue, and the exercise room consists of exactly two machines. I work nearby, and stay here when I have an early or late meeting and want to avoid my long commute. Not sure how others read the rooms as spacious - but maybe there is a wider variety than i have experienced.

Room Tip: try for an upper floor
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
jadedtravelista,

Thank you for such an honest review. I think you'll be thrilled once you stay with us following the expansion and restoration. The TVs are getting bigger and wall mounted, the exercise room is relocating to a space within the new building, and we will have a wider variety of room sizes to choose from. If you're interested in a larger room, let the Agent know when you call to book the next time. Our current room types (Standard, Victorian, Parlor Suite) vary in size, which may be why some reviewers say their room is spacious and others say they wished theirs was larger.
Thank you for continued support of the Morrison Clark. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.