“Beautiful historic room”

Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Loved the hotel room, it had a lot of character and was unexpectedly large. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately my room faced out onto the major renovation works going on, so I was woken pretty early each day when the construction started. If it hadn't been for having a room right next to the construction works, I would have given this hotel top marks. Would be willing to stay here again once the renovations were completed.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the construction works and keep your fingers crossed there is one available...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Paula S.,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, it is the highest compliment we can receive. I'm sorry to hear that the construction noise. Whenever possible we place guests in rooms as far as possible form the expansion project, however there are times that this is not feasable. I was happy to hear that other than the noise, you enjoyed your room and the amenities we offer. I can't wait to have you back to experience the hotel upon completion!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was our first trip ever to Washington, and first time to the Morrison Clark Historic Inn. I really enjoyed it. We had a lovely parlor room with a balcony. The staff was always friendly and helpful. We enjoyed the continental breakfast provided, it was enough to get the morning going, and then some. I really liked the little jars of jam they provide for the guests. If you like history, you'll enjoy the surroundings in this Inn. I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank angyl12

Angyl12,

A trip to Washington, DC, especially your first, is made perfect with a stay at a truly historc hotel such as the Morrison Clark! Our original two mansions were built in the late 1860s by two prominant Washingtonian business men. The properties were later used as the Soliders', Sailors', Marines', and Airmens' Club and remained as such for 57 until being converted into a hotel in the 1980s. The goal of our staff is always to uphold our standard of friendliness and providing the best possible service - I'm so happy you were able to experience their talents. I look forward to welcoming you back to our Nation's Capital and to the Morrison Clark Inn!

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at the Morrison-Clark for the third time in May, 2014. As always, we found the hotel to be clean, comfortable and staffed by very friendly and helpful people. Each room is different and furnished with antiques, giving it the feel of an historic inn, which it is. The free continental breakfast and complimentary afternoon glass of wine were new this trip and very welcome. The hotel is conveniently located for almost everything in Washington. We were aware of the on-going construction as the hotel incorporates an adjacent property. Because we were there over a weekend, this was not a problem; but we can't speak to noise conditions during the week. Our rates were very reasonable, but they seem to fluctuate wildly. The only criticisms, and they are minor, are rather limited spaces for clothing in the rooms and the weak wifi signal. It is strongest in the lobby and dining areas. We will stay at the Morrison-Clark again and highly recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Larry S.,

A repeat guest is our greatest acheivement and I'm so happy to have you as one of ours. The complimentary breakfast and wine in the evenings is our way of saying of "Thank You" for staying with us during our time of transition. I'm pleased that you enjoyed it. Please know that upon completion of the new building and the restoration of the existing Inn, our WiFi will be upgraded so that you will have a strong signal throughout the entire building. I look forward to having you back again soon - please stop by my office so that I may meet you and personaly welcome you back!

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Please do not come here if you want a restful nights sleep, I was woken up at 7am today by work men laughing and shouting at each other directly outside my door and then window. I understood that there were construction works going on at the hotel but I didn't expect to be rudely awoken by it directly outside my door and window on the 4th floor. I can deal with background construction noise (as I had previous mornings) but this was just inconsiderate builders being extremely noisy.

Another problem I had with the hotel was extremely poor wifi. The only place I could get a signal was sitting on the toilet which isn't very helpful! I did complain about this to the staff who sent a nice maintenance man to try sort the problem but to no avail. I did ask to move room but they could only offer me a basement room directly under our previous room with equally as poor signal. In the end we just had to deal with no wifi in our room but it has been extremely frustrating!

Our room was fine otherwise, comfortable bed, good bathroom. The breakfast was a let down, barely continental- a few muffins, croissants, toast, apples, oranges, juices and cereal. Overall the hotel was pretty average. The hotel would have scored higher if not for the crazy loud drilling at 7am directly outside my window!

• Stayed: April 2014

Emzshea,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry to hear that the construction crew was noisy one of the mornings you were staying with us. We have spoken with them and we don't anticipate it happening again. I was glad to hear our staff was kind and attentive to your WiFi issue, although I'm sorry that the limitations of our current technology prevented us from being able to fully resolve the issue. We are very much looking forward to our updated amenities, including better WiFi, with the launch of the new addition this Fall.
I hope that you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring to you back to DC.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I liked the fact it is a historic hotel; it has character. I stayed here for 4 days recently and would stay here again if in Washington. Staff were friendly and attentive and the breakfast included is a bonus. I had a large room and living room for around $220 per night, which is good for a hotel in Washington so close to the White House and other attractions.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Simon,
Many thanks for you review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and always love to hear about how friendly and attentive our staff is. We look forward to having you back for your next visit to Washington, DC!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We flew in to Washington DC Sunday May 18 2014. We were greeted by Teshome & he made every effort to make us feel welcome and at home. We've traveled together to Mexico, New York, Florida, Las Vegas, etc. for years and are used to staying at the bigger hotel resorts. I must say it was refreshing to stay at a smaller more personable Inn for a change. We absolutely loved this place! This location is ideal for those coming to Washington to really take in the sights. Easy walks to the downtown & a short bus ride to anywhere else! When we returned each day from lots of walking we were greeted with fresh made cookies & drinks. Really felt like we were staying at a "Bed & Breakfast" Must say the guys running Morrison-Clark made every effort to make it one of the best vacations we've ever had! Truly a 'best kept secret' in the D.C. area! Everybody there did a great job! Thanks guys! Ron & Susie C

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We enjoyed having you as our guests as much as you enjoyed staying with us! Teshome is a wonderful asset to our team and I’m so happy to hear that he made a great connection with you. As you said, staying at the Inn is a much more personal experience than with big box hotels, while still enjoying all the modern amenities and our great location. Please, don’t keep us a “secret!” We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home the next time you visit Washington, DC.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

traveling on business and looking for more than a generic hotel. the Morrison Clark, is like taking a step back in time. I was met at the door morning and night with a pleasant greeting form the doorman. The decor is simple, yet elegant and classy. the room smelled clean and fresh and was very comfortable. Location is very convenient.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Clark K,
I’m so glad you decided to find a hotel outside of the standard chain hotel brands. We often find that business people who travel frequently, our “road warriors”, are so use to being just a room number when staying at other hotels. Our staff is dedicated to making each of our guests feel welcomed and at home. Our old world décor matches our traditional style of genuine hospitality, and we are happy to hear you enjoyed them both. We look forward to seeing you back on your next trip to Washington, DC!