“Unsure if I would stay again”

Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 142 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed here for a conference held at the convention center. For this, it was a prime location. The hotel was charming and the rooms were cozy, with plenty of space at the desk for those times when I needed to be on my laptop. Internet is complimentary, a definite positive. The hotel had complimentary breakfast and offered midday snack and iced tea in the lounge. I did experience a few negatives that make it uncertain whether I would stay again. The main light fixture in the room had a dead bulb upon check-in, the hotel was currently under construction providing an automatic ,but not desired, early morning wake-up call. Additionally, the staff that congregates by the front desk is very obnoxious late at night with loud talking and laughing. While I'm glad the staff was having a good time, it was keeping me awake at 1:00AM. The second day no housekeeping ever tended to me room. When I returned around 4:00PM that day I had to ask the front desk to send housekeeping. My only further complaint is when my girlfriend picked me up at the hotel upon check-out and went inside to use the restroom before our drive back to New York. The staff rudely questioned whether she was a guest in the hotel when she entered. This is a mixed review with some certain positives but also some very blatant rudeness from the staff and various other unnecessary negative experiences that could and should have been prevented. I would consider giving the hotel another chance post construction, as I am in DC quite often. I should also note, the "acclaimed restaurant" raved about during booking was not even open. I simply cannot stand when hotels claim amenities that are not available for use.

Room Tip: Avoid booking during construction and refuse to stay in a first level room.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Joshua W

Reviewed 9 August 2014

It's about a 15 minute walk to the Mt. Vernon Metro station, which we found very convenient for our excursions around D.C. The rooms are small but clean and tastefully appointed with antique pieces. The continental breakfast and afternoon cookies and iced tea followed by the happy hour wine were very nice amenities. The staff was most accommodating. When we complained about a noisy air conditioner unit in our room, we were switched to a quieter room immediately. There was construction going on adjacent to the hotel, but it was between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m., so it didn't bother our stay.

Room Tip: If you're not satisfied with your room, ask the staff for a change.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Mohamad_Taha, General Manager at Morrison-Clark Historic Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Donna K,

It's great to hear you were able to enjoy so much of what the hotel has to offer along with seeing and exploring our fantastic city. Our staff really makes the difference and I'm happy to learn they made you feel welcomed and accommodated. I look forward to having you as our guest on your next visit to DC!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were excited to be staying in a historic hotel, if only for one night. This one looked intriguing. I had expected elegant, smiling service and beauty. What I got was a super tiny room, an ok hotel staff and a ton of noisy construction.

The Inn it's self is beautiful. I think that by expanding the hotel it is taking away the charm. The rooms are small but I wasn't expecting super tiny. The armoire was about 6 inches from the bed so there was no way to open it enough to watch TV. I know that historic Inns are smaller than your average hotel but this was ridiculous. Also, the glasses in the room were dirty. The water pressure in the bathroom was very low, as well.

We had a courtyard room which had a beautiful bay window that was covered in scaffolding and construction junk. I found out the hard way that they started at about 7am and were super noisy. That really didn't matter because by that time the housekeepers had already started letting the doors slam in the hallway.

I ended up getting up way earlier than expected because of the noise and went to the continental breakfast they were providing because of the construction. It had a variety of whole fruit, cereal, muffins, croissants, bagels, toast, juice and coffee. It was nice, but I was hesitant because of the complimentary iced tea in the parlor the night before had the same problem of filthy glasses like our room. They have a restaurant that I think was closed because of construction, but I would never consider eating there because of the filthy glasses.

All in all, I was hoping for a beautiful setting and a restful night in a historic inn, but what i got was the not worth the money. I wouldn't recommend staying here until the construction is finished, but even after that the charm will be gone. The rooms will still be small, and if the staff is not more well trained then it is all lost.

Room Tip: Do not say in #202... super tiny actually, don't book a room here until construction is done.
1  Thank HWgirl

HWgirl,

I’m sorry to hear of the challenges you experienced during your stay with us. It is definitely unlike us to have less than perfectly clean dishes and we are looking into the problem immediately. Some of the Courtyard facing rooms do have a view of the scaffolding; this will be removed in a matter of a few weeks. As you mentioned, some of our rooms do have challenges with the TV placement within the armoire – it is one of the issues that will be corrected once we complete the restoration of the existing Inn. Rest assured that the charm will remain intact. We take great pride in staying true to our historic nature and the Victorian Era of our original townhomes. Although we are expanding and remodeling, it is our goal to remain a beautiful historic boutique in the heart of Washington. I hope you will consider staying with us once the expansion and restoration is complete. I think you will be very impressed.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I travelled to DC for the weekend and was only staying at the hotel for one night. To start I got sick on my way there with a fever and sore throat. I booked through a 3rd party website for a room for 4. once i got there they advised that i had only booked a room for 2 and i would need an upgrade to get two beds. So lets just say I was travelling with one other person, a friend or my boss, did they expect us to share a bed??? I believe so. Any way they charged me $30 and an additional $40 for the other two guests. They first made me call the 3rd party service i used and thus had to sit outside on the phone for about 45 minutes before being told i had to pay the fee. Mind you I am shaking and at this point I just needed to lie down. The front desk staff was extremely rude and were not making it any easier for us to get a double room. I ended up paying the fees then was on my way up to the room when the receptionist followed me and said that our friend ( who was not staying with us) was not allowed up in the room because of a fire hazard and that if he was to find out he was there after 10 pm he would charge my card another fee...I have never been to a hotel where the staff literally stalks you to make sure you are complying with the rules. 2nd incident when we finally got to our room our blankets were stained. I asked housekeeping for a new blanket and upon arriving she wanted me to show her "proof" of the stain. Which led to a humiliating ordeal of me taking it out into the hall and showing her. The last straw is when we all went out for dinner. In thier quest to make sure we were following all of the rules the staff kept a close watch on us as we left the building. one of them stood by the window to see if us and our friend went in seperate cars and the other two were in a car outside and watched us leave. I was very troubled and disgusted by the way the staff handled their guests. At the end of the night we literally coming back tothe hotel to stay. I do not reccomend this hotel to anybody looking to be relaxed as i felt as if i was being watched. STAY AWAY! you are better off at the hilton, or somewhere that knows what customer service is all about.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank kathy J

Kathy J,

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and your experience. I’m glad that once we re-connected by phone with you last week that we were able to clear up any misunderstanding and come to an agreement that you were satisfied with. At the end of the conversation you mentioned that you would stay with us again should your travels bring you back to DC – I hope that remains true – we’d love to have you as our guests again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Have stayed twice - early 2013 and July 4th weekend 2014. Both stays pleasant and restful (due to the holiday, we missed the construction noise experienced by others in mid-summer 2014). Found free on-street parking each time w/in sight of the Morrison-Clark too. Staff is professional and refined, as one would expect for a boutique-type hotel. Location is good for activities at the east end of The Mall. Shortcomings experienced are 1) an elevator that seems to require pushing "close door" button in order for the door to close, and 2) a less than robust continental breakfast. Had to ask, then wait and wait (as did others) for plastic utensils to be provided; particularly odd given the restaurant serves evening dinners w/ real silverware. Still, the charm of the place - hopefully not lost w/ the new addition - makes the M-C a worthy consideration.

LarryArmold,

I thoroughly enjoy hearing from guests such as yourself that decide to stay with us each time they come to DC. It’s a true testament to the wonderful staff and the quality of the hotel. As you know from your previous experiences, we take great pride in keeping the authenticity of our historic Inn, which will not be lost with the completion of the expansion and restoration. We will be replacing the elevator at that time and shortly after plan to reopen our full service restaurant, to include breakfast service. I look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

The bed was comfortable, the bathroom was spacious, the staff opened doors for you and the coffee at breakfast was warm. Would recommend the inn for couples or single business travelers. The location couldn't have been safer.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

loversdreamersme,

Thank you for your review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and were able to enjoy the quaint atmosphere of our Inn along with the warm comforts of home. There is truly nothing better than a comfortable bed, a good cup of coffee, and great customer service. I hope to see you again if you travel back to the Nation's Capital!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My only complaint is that my stay was too short! I visited for one Saturday night. During which, I spent time in the parlor, the dining area (where Ella Fitzgerald's smooth voice soothed me overhead) and on the Inn's large porch. I stayed up late and rose early just to enjoy these living spaces outside my room. The staff was very hospitable. The continental breakfast was also delightful.

I felt safe and enjoyed people watching as the night life folks walked, peddled, and skated to and fro. The construction on the property was noticeable visually from my room, but there was no weekend noise. Parking was valet only (which was convenient and costs extra but for me, was worth it).

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the streets (not the courtyard construction area).

Jessica H,

I agree, it was too short! Please come back to stay with us for longer. It's been said that it would take over a month to visit all of the 18 DC area Smithsonians, and that doesn't even include all the monuments and other major attractions of DC. I hope to see you as our guest for your next visit when you'll be able to spend more time at the Inn and our Nation's Capital.