“In a nice neighborhood”
Review of The Normandy Hotel

The Normandy Hotel
Ranked #29 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Overall, we loved the hotel. While small, the rooms had updated furnishings and a comfortable bed. It is an older hotel, but I very good condition. It is close to the DuPont Circle and metro. The neighborhood is beautiful, several Embassy's on the street. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only negative was the climate control. We could not get our room to cool off. Fortunately it was cool enough to sleep with the window open. We did advise the front desk after the first night, but no improvement. While checking out, I overheard another guest making the same complaint. Would stay again.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bfh195
There are newer reviews for The Normandy Hotel

Reviewed 26 October 2013

A friend and myself stayed here while attending a conference in Washington, DC. I cannot say enough about this hotel. Clean, safe, and friendly staff. Some names that I remember are Aj, Lamiae, and Lamia.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank ToniH63
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel was very nice we arrived around midnight and had no issue to get to our room. We stayed only one night. Rooms are decorated very nicely and clean however they are on the small side just like the European hotels. Bed was very comfortable.
The staff can use some training in customer service. As we arrived we asked for extra towels, the front desk person told me that he will bring them up. However after 10 minutes in the room the phone rang and he said that he cannot bring them up until the morning.
When we arrived we tried to get coffee from the free machine that they have next to the lobby but the machine did not function and had no coffee in it. There is also an espresso machine in the room. The machine did not have any coffee pods even though the morning front desk person told me that they should be in the machine. The water reservoir was missing from the machine so, no coffee could be made. When I expressed my disappointment on the subject with the front desk they had nothing to say.
A guest at such hotel might expect the front desk to order coffee for the guest before they leave the hotel. However, at the Normandy it appears that staff care less if guests are satisfied or return to stay with them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank doronbron
Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

This hotel had its ups and downs. Helpful hotel staff is definitely an up. Arrived on a red eye and was able to check in early (around 8am) which was great. Staff was super friendly, although was unaware of a deal available on the hotel website. Room was warm when I entered, so I turned the air down as far as possible. Took a nap and when I awoke it was 80 degrees in the room. Tried to open windows only to discover they only opened about 4 inches and that what I thought was the air conditioning unit was right outside my window (the noise when it kicked on every 30 minutes or so was so loud I had to shut the window). Went to use the iron discovered it was broken, asked for a new one to be delivered and it wasn't. Next morning the temperature in my room was 80 degrees. Called and had the front desk deliver the iron and check on the lack of air. They said the engineer would come after I left for the day. Returned at 3pm to find out that because it was an old building it was either heat or air and the building was set to heat. After pointing out that I wasn't paying this much to be in a room that was now even warmer, I asked to be moved to a room where windows opened. I was given another room, moved my stuff, only to be told that the room was promised to someone else I was moved again.

Overall the customer service was good. The rooms were great (warning standard queen is tiny, but superior queen is normal size). Everything was queen and the hotel was quiet. Only other downside was the mediocre wifi. I called several times and was told it was something wrong with my equipment (I had 3 devices with wifi so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it).

I would stay here agin, but only if it were much lower priced than other area hotels.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Heather V
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is a great find.Quiet area but a couple of minutes walk from restaurants,shops etc.The hotel is boutique style.Lovely lounge area,free coffee and tea available all day plus wine on some evenings.Rooms are good size with great bathrooms.Staff go out of their way to be helpful and nothing was too much trouble.It is possible to walk to most major attractions. We walked to The White House,it took about 30 mins, stopping at shops on route.It is also about 15 mins from the zoo which is free!There is a metro close by and the metro system in D.C. is really good and easy to follow.
We were looking at larger hotels and were so pleased we chose this instead.Hope one day to return.

Room Tip: Had a room on first floor which was fine so could use the stairs when we wanted to. Quiet area so ve...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joanne L
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This is a very comfortable hotel in a quiet neighborhood near Dupont Circle. Our room was well appointed, but not large, with a pleasant window looking out on a quiet street. The staff was exceptionally helpful and cheerful. There was a free wine and hors d'oeuvres reception in the early evening, and staff members were there to chat and answer questions. The hotel is about 10-15 minutes walk uphill from the Dupont Circle Metro spot on Q street, and so not far from the many restaurants and shops in the area. There are quite a few smaller embassies nearby that gives this otherwise quiet area an exotic feel. I think the restaurant is a very good value, and a very pleasant place to stay. There is free wifi. I did find that the continental breakfast, at $12, was probably not worth the expense, but I have otherwise nothing but good things to say.

Room Tip: Rooms facing out on the street are bright and cheerful.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Micheal O
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

We grabbed a taxi from DuPoint circle as we had luggage, only$7.
The area where the hotel is situated is lovely, leafy, and really releaxing.
However only a ten min walk to loads of restaurants and the red line metro.
So location wise it's excellent.
Rooms really nice and bathrooms were lovely.
One down side to our room was it was next to the ice vending machine and the air con unit which meant we couldn't leave the bathroom door open as it was so loud!
Bathroom was not as clean as I would have hoped for on arrival.
Staff friendly and the wine and nibbles at 5 in the lobby seating area was a lovely touch.

• Stayed: October 2013