“Nice, romantic hotel”

Ranked #24 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
New York City, New York
“Nice, romantic hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel last year around Thanksgiving with my girlfriend and I doubt our experience could have got an,y better, especially for the price we paid. This is a nice, little place, very close to the Dupont Circle and in the vicinity of some nice restaurants (there's a great Mexican place nearby, though I am forgetting the name). The only flipside is that the hotel does not have its nice own parking, which isn't much of a deal breaker as they readily provide a discounted option in the parking lot of a nearby hotel.Overall, a lovely, heartwarming place, would love to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Guneet S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Hebrew first
Burlington, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Quiet location yet near all the essentials, including the running trail on Rock Creek. I travel here quite often for business and stay here when I can because I like the rooms, the quiet, the staff, and the in-room nespresso machines. They have updated recently and the rooms are just gorgeous. The afternoon/night staff will bend over backwards for you. The neighborhood is beautiful. Just a really great place to stay. Probably not for folks who want to be RIGHT ON TOP of the metro...but I love to walk and see the city so this is the place for me!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank VTraveler24
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I stopped at the Normandy for 5 nights arriving at about 11pm due to the ridiculous queue at immigration for 2 hrs. I took a Super Shuttle from the airport, and I am glad I did. The hotel is located on a side road tucked away, so it is very quiet, but not the easiest to find at 11pm at night in a new city. The hotel is a 10 min walk (uphill) along from DuPoint Circle and an equal distance the other direction to Woodley Park - both are on the red line.
The room was really clean, spotless - but very warm. As mentioned by other reviewers this is due to the fact the air con can't be turned down below 18.5, and the windows only open a few inches. In the end I got the front desk to open the window and I left the air con turned off to cool the room. It wasn't what I needed after a long journey late at night. But it got sorted. Breakfast was nice enough, maybe not a lot for $ 13. I found by walking up the road to Adams Morgan (toward Woodley Park) a lot more places doing decent breakfasts for similar prices.
I didn't spend a great deal of time at the hotel, but the people on the desk always answered any questions about transport or DC in general.
The best thing about this hotel is it's a lot cheaper than it's peers, and it's quite well connected (metro lines as mentioned), so a good base to explore DC from. I enjoyed my break at Normandy hotel and I would stay here again if I visited DC.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

This quaint little hotel is located in the Dupont Circle area just off of Connecticut in a residential area not far from a Metro stop. For the price it could not be beat . The staff was especially wonderful and , in particular, David was most helpful facilitating our departure. Our room did not have much of a view but the price made up for that . The room was nicely appointed and radiantly clean. We would recommend it to anyone and will stay here again on our next trip to DC if a comparable room rate is available then.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Redding, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Overall, we loved the hotel. While small, the rooms had updated furnishings and a comfortable bed. It is an older hotel, but I very good condition. It is close to the DuPont Circle and metro. The neighborhood is beautiful, several Embassy's on the street. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The only negative was the climate control. We could not get our room to cool off. Fortunately it was cool enough to sleep with the window open. We did advise the front desk after the first night, but no improvement. While checking out, I overheard another guest making the same complaint. Would stay again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bfh195
Mechanicsville, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

A friend and myself stayed here while attending a conference in Washington, DC. I cannot say enough about this hotel. Clean, safe, and friendly staff. Some names that I remember are Aj, Lamiae, and Lamia.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ToniH63
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel was very nice we arrived around midnight and had no issue to get to our room. We stayed only one night. Rooms are decorated very nicely and clean however they are on the small side just like the European hotels. Bed was very comfortable.
The staff can use some training in customer service. As we arrived we asked for extra towels, the front desk person told me that he will bring them up. However after 10 minutes in the room the phone rang and he said that he cannot bring them up until the morning.
When we arrived we tried to get coffee from the free machine that they have next to the lobby but the machine did not function and had no coffee in it. There is also an espresso machine in the room. The machine did not have any coffee pods even though the morning front desk person told me that they should be in the machine. The water reservoir was missing from the machine so, no coffee could be made. When I expressed my disappointment on the subject with the front desk they had nothing to say.
A guest at such hotel might expect the front desk to order coffee for the guest before they leave the hotel. However, at the Normandy it appears that staff care less if guests are satisfied or return to stay with them.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple