“Would stay again”

Ranked #23 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
London, UK
“Would stay again”
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

Just been on a two week vacation in the US and the bed at the Normandy Hotel was by far the most comfortable. The shower was also among the best. It is a boutique hotel; it doesn't sell itself as other than that so we didn't expect a gym or other amenities. Instead we got a warm welcome, lots of help with directions, restaurant recommendations and taxi bookings. The public areas are welcoming and comfortable. Our room was small but had everything we needed, was tastefully decorated, and very quiet. The lighting is subdued but we had no problem with that. It was snowing while we were there and the heating was turned up - easily regulated by opening a window. Really nice that you can open a window and get some fresh air - quite rare in hotels we stayed in (4/5 stars). Great local restaurant scene - plenty of choices. And lots of public transport options; subway station 8 minutes walk down the hill and 10 minutes to Capitol Hill. Area feels safe and stunning local houses and streetscapes. A real little gem. Would stay there again - thanks to the managers for making our stay so comfortable.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JaneandSharon
George O, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear JaneandSharon, Thank you for taking the time to post your review about our hotel. We were thrilled to read that you found the bed and shower, at The Normandy, among the best you experienced during your two week vacation in the US. We were also happy to see that you enjoyed this area of the city and found it easy to get around. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
The Normandy Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Hebrew first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Small rooms, very dark (two small ceiling lights in room), no control over temperature, and not well maintained. Room was 85 degrees and their solution was to open a window. Bulbs out in light fixtures. Would not stay here again.

2 Thank timlohman
Dear timlohman, Thank you for your honest feedback regarding your recent stay. While we would love to get nothing but glowing reviews, we know that's impossible and feedback like yours will help us find areas for improvement. Please know that your experience is not typical and that our engineering department will be more vigilant to ensure these type of things are not overlooked again. I have shared your comments with the entire staff. Again, thank you for you assistance in helping us be a better hotel.
St. Thomas
Reviewed 28 March 2014

I stayed here for a business trip. It was selected by my company so I had to stay here. The location was convenient to my work, it is a very safe location, and it is a very quiet location. It's also a beautiful little building on a street of beautifully kept brownstones. The rooms are very clean and maintained. I loved the amenities and the brand used. I also liked the special attention but the desk attendant that he came out and greeted me in the snow storm with his umbrella as I got out of the cab.

Room Tip: Breakfast is served in a little area, but no other meals are served. I didn't realize it, but i...
2 Thank Darlene O
Dear Darlene O, Thank you for your review of The Normandy. We were pleased to read that you had such a great stay and enjoyed the service that you received. Whenever your travels bring you back to Washington, we hope that you choose to stay with us again and make us your quiet little oasis in the city.
Sycamore, Illinois
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in March for a conference at the Omni nearby. It is just a quick walk to DuPont Circle with access to the Metro. A $8 cab ride to the White House. The ambience is very quiet and simply a nice place to stay. The rooms are clean and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
George O, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Josh H, Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We were very happy to read that you found the staff friendly & helpful and our rooms clean. We hope that the next time you visit Washington, you'll choose The Normandy.
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 26 March 2014

What makes this so disappointing is that the Normandy could be a decent hotel. Sure, it doesn't have any amenities (like a gym, bar or restaurant), but its pretty cozy and quiet, and it's in a chill neighborhood. And despite my rant, below, the rooms are ok (if small) and the bed is comfortable. But given what I experienced in my two weeks at the Normandy, it's hard to believe that even this will be maintained given their management.

First of all - no wifi? Seriously? In 2014? Yes, they say there is wifi in all of the rooms. But that isn't true. If you end up in a corner room (half the rooms in the hotel), you probably won't have access. After raising the issue at the reception I was offered a "wifi extender." This did nothing to get wifi in my room. Although I raised this several more times, nothing was done to fix the problem.

Secondly, the Normandy has probably the most consistently bad housekeeping I've ever experienced at a hotel. It was absolutely the bare minimum in terms of service, yes clean sheets and a clean bathroom (mostly), but consistently leaving dirty dishes in the room, not cleaning the counter tops, not vacuuming for two weeks ("it's policy"), not replacing the bottled water, leaving empty espresso containers around, or simply not tidying up - putting my socks on my bedside table is not tidying up.

Having stayed at the Normandy for two weeks I thought that after complaining for the first four days things would be better, but no, they didn't improve - I simply gave up - which is what you do when all the other hotels in DC are full.

I don't blame this on the housekeepers or the receptionists themselves (except for the one who encouraged me to check out early after I complained). This is a management issue. Managers at the Normandy are clearly not providing the training needed for the housekeepers or receptionists to perform up to the standards of a professional hotel.

There are a lot of choices in DC, don't stay at the Normandy.

3 Thank highschoolband
Dear highschoolband, Thank you for your feed back regarding your recent stay. Needless to say, I was extemely surprised and disappointed to learn about your experience. We take a lot of pride in the quality of service we provide to our guests and in your case we didn't live up to your or our standards. With regards to your comments about our Wi-Fi system, we are rectifying that. Work is actually commencing tomorrow to replace the entire system. This has been in the works for the last couple of months but this was the earliest we could get it scheduled. Regarding your comments about housekeeping, please rest assured that what you experienced was far below our standards. I have shared your comments with the whole team so that we can ensure this never happens again. I would love for you to contact me directly so I can get more details and to hopefully ensure a return visit for you. Once again, thank you for your feedback as it helps us to improve.
(gochoa@thenormandydc.com)
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We traveled to DC in early March with our young adult daughters to tour the sites.
We spent 4 nights at the Normandy. The week end price is reasonalbe but the price gets very high during the week as most in city rooms do. The location is perfect as it is in a safe, busy, fun part of DC and close to a Metro station (about a 10 minute easy walk). There are numerous of restruants and shops near, that have a variety of food and are very good. The Normandy is tucked away off the busy street. It is a quant hotel with a very nice lobby and sitting area. There is wine available in the late afternoon for an hour which is a nice touch.
The rooms are extremely small. We felt very crowded, and were constantly moving our suitcases, shoes ect. out of the way. We did not feel comfortable because of the small size.
It was very clean and the bathroom is very nice and well supplied with shampoo, ect. and very clean. The temperature of the room is very difficult to control, we had to open and close the window to be comfortable. The breakfast was probably the biggest disappointed. We paid extra (the breakfast package) to have a nice breakfast each morning. The first two mornings it was just ok. The next two days it became very poor in selection and variety. No fresh fruit, one morning no orange juice, no hard boiled eggs. It was certainly not worth the extra we paid or the $12 they charge. Smoking is also allowed at the entrance which is a real turn off to us.
The staff is excellent, but overall we were disappointed. We actually ended up moving to a hotel in Alexandria that we found much more comfortable. I do the best I can to give the most honest reviews.

Room Tip: We stayed above the garage and heard the door open and close late at night and again in the early mo...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
George O, General Manager at The Normandy Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear kkgirlsmom, Thank you for taking the time to write your candid and honest review of our hotel. Perfection is what we strive for but don't always accomplish. In the case of the room size, there isn't much we can do about that. Some people like the size and others need more space, that's perfectly understandable. What was truly disappointing was that you didn't enjoy breakfast. That is definitely something under review with staff and our vendors, thanks to your comments. We are truly sorry that you couldn't stay longer with us, but happy to see that you found something to satisfy your needs in Alexandria. When you have a chance, please contact me directly by phone or email (gochoa@thenormandydc.com) so that I may take care of your breakfast charges. Thank you again for helping us improve our hotel.
Kent, Ohio
Reviewed 19 March 2014

My classmates and I stayed here for a conference in February. The staff is what made us have such a great experience. Maurice, Cornell and David were just a few of the staff members who made our trip stress free. They gave excellent service and made us feel very comfortable. The hotel was very clean, and well decorated. I would recommend this hotel to others if you want a bed and breakfast type feel, but hotel features. I hope to stay there again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear Marissa V, Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of The Normandy. We were please to read that the staff made for a great experience and a stress free stay. Thank you for mentioning Maurice, Cornell and David, we'll be sure to let them know that they played a big part in ensuring such a wonderful stay for you. We hope to see you back here in the very near future.