“Loved it”

Ranked #69 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Loved it”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have passed by this hotel many times, even been to an event or two, but never stayed there until last month. Despite a hurricane, earthquake and fire, the 3 weeks I spent there on business were very nice. The staff were courteous and efficient -- especially during the evacuations. I was even allowed to bring my cats for overnight during the hurricane (but when I took them home the next day the $50.00 pet fee was reimbursed). My room was very comfortable and large enough not to get claustrophobic after 3 weeks. I had a balcony that I could squeeze out onto -- the cornice from the curtains prevented the door from opening all the way -- and take my folding chair (the kind you put over your shoulder and take to the park) to sit and read my work. Unfortunately, because of the cornice, no other chairs would fit out there and if you were much bigger than me, you probably couldn't squeeze your body out either. The service and staff went out of their way to be helpful. The lady Marie (I was on the 8th floor) who cleaned my room took great care of me, most days I wouldn't need her, but if I asked for anything, she addressed it immediately and took a couple of extra minutes to straightening up my room because she knew I would only be gone a couple of hours at most. The day I left, I had called down for a bellman, twice because my ride was downstairs, when no one showed up, I was trying to struggle my bags downstairs and a painter who worked for the hotel saw me and offered to/helped me all the way down to the car. The food was pretty good. The grounds of the hotel were absolutely beautiful. If you go out the back around the pool and the "outdoor" library you truly wouldn't know you were in the city. The spa and 24 hour fitness center were immaculate and well attended. The hotel is close to restaurants, the metro (DC's rail system), and the zoo. I would really recommend it for vacationer's and a business travelers. After all these years, the hotel remains a Grand Dame -- with out the musty/dusty attributes and tiny rooms that usually go along with really old hotels. Be sure to ask about the ghost room, and to see the presidential suite -- the one with the gold fixtures. Ohh la la

Small annoyances: The restrictive pet policy -- be sure you read it before you bring your pet -- is more tailored for dogs than other pets; the air conditioners were kind of loud; the elevators were slow and parking was very expensive As the commercial used to say.... Try it, you'll like it!!!

Room Tip: Just ask! The view's off the back side of the hotel were spectacular! The balcony on the front...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
We are delighted that you enjoyed your extended stay at The Omni Shoreham Hotel. We appreciate all of your compliments but also appreciate the few pieces of constructive feedback you provided. We are always looking for ways to enhance our service and it is observations such as yours that help us to make changes. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will think of us for any of your DC hotel needs in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Stay here one night to go the nationals game, hotel in very good neighborhood away from down town but it suit us best. Hotel lobby look very grand, 2 double bed room is very roommy had a parkview wing, farest from the lobby. 37 inch TV, mini fridge,2 free bottle of water. Bed is very comfortable wifi in the lobby, no self park. Velvet for 33 dollars a night. I sign up for their loyalty program, got a free inroom Internet and free beverage in the morning, milk and cookie and backpack for kid, Wolfgang puck coffee and tazo tea in room

The not so good
Bathroom show wear and tear but no mold, wall is. Dry thin I can hear next door conversation.

• Stayed September 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 9 September 2011

Stayed here in Sept 2011 - great location near the subway station. The subway is excellent in DC by the way. We used it to get to the city and also to a Redskins gme on the other side of town. Also very close (ie 3 min walk) to some great restaurants. The hotel is in excellent condition - pool is great and gym very good with great equipment. Staff very helpful - particularly Herman the concierge. Great value for money - as we said it is top quality - highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your recommendation of The Omni Shoreham Hotel on TripAdvisor. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to sharing your compliment with Herman. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back again soon.
Augsburg, Germany
Reviewed 8 September 2011

We stayed there for 4 nights , had 2 rooms for 6 persons. We had been to this hotel before and again it met our expectations. Although it may be an old hotel it is in no way run-down it's simply charming and great.
We love its generous spaces, wonderful outdoor pool, garden and terrace.
As one of our rooms in the rear building was a bit small for 4 and the luggage, we asked for a larger room and got a wonderful room with lots of space.
The breakfast is terrific, the staff is very friendly and helpful.
Whenever in Washington we would choose the Omni again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
We enjoyed reading your review of The Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are glad that our associates were able to find a room to suit you and that the rest of your stay went well. We will look forward to welcoming you back during your next Washington, DC get away.
Lakewood, New York
Reviewed 7 September 2011

This is a wonderful place. If we get back to DC (which I hope we do), I would love to stay here again. Our room was very clean and quiet. The staff were friendly and helpful. They have a very nice spa/pool area. We used the pool, whirlpool, and sauna. The hotel is very close to a metro stop and within walking distance of lots of things. Breakfast was not included in our stay, but there is a restaurant inside or a small coffee shop where you can get some pastries, bagels, fruit, etc. There are also plenty of places nearby if you prefer to get out of the hotel for your morning meal.

Room Tip: Ask for one looking over the bridge if available for a good view.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
We hope you make it back to DC too! It would be our pleasure to once again have you as our guest. Thank you for your complimentary review on TripAdvisor.
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 5 September 2011

The Omni Shoreham was the venue for the US Chamber of Commerce - Small Business Summit. This hotel is amazing! I had a very spacious king room. This is a full-service hotel with a top-notch restaurant, bar/lounge, nice outdoor pool for a city hotel, gift shop, jewelry store, and large fitness center. Staff was professional and very courteous. The location is great - close to the zoo, subway, and Georgetown. I would definitely consider staying here again, although it's $$$$. Includes free wifi access if you're an Omni Rewards member.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
Many thanks for your complimentary review of The Omni Shoreham. We are delighted that the US Chamber meeting gave you the opportunity to experience our hotel and we hope to welcome you back soon.
UK
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We loved the Omni Shoreham from the moment we walked in to its spectacular lobby. We stayed in a classic suite which we found to be spacious and well furnished. There was plenty of hanging space in the walk in closet, which also contained a safe, although I think this was mounted a little high for ease of access if you are not tall- I certainly found it difficult to see inside. The bed was very comfortable, housekeeping very efficient and never intrusive and the room was spotlessly clean. A minor criticism is that the bathroom was a little on the small side, with limited storage for toiletries. Although a hairdryer is provided I wished I had taken my own, as there was no styling attachment.
We found the staff to be excellent 95% of the time, very professional, friendly and courteous and overall providing excellent service. We had breakfast in the hotel several times and thought the food quality and choice to be excellent and fair value for money, with a wide choice of fresh fruit, cereals, pastries, and hot food. We tried the diner across the way and, even though breakfast at the Omni was twice the price, we thought the food and breakfast experience to be far more than twice as good, and definitely worth the extra! Although the standard of service was generally very high as I have said, I feel I have to mention the Hungarian lady who served us during breakfast --should any member of Omni customer relations read this review I must say we thought the standard of service she provided, and the pleasant, helpful, non intrusive way she looked after us to be exceptional--she is certainly a real asset to the hotel. We also had dinner at the hotel and, although the menu is a lttle limited, we enjoyed our meal and found the burgers to be especially good.
The hotel gardens are beautiful and provide a great place to relax if you feel like a break from the city, even though the hotel is very large we always found the gardens to be quiet and peaceful. The metro is about two minutes walk from the hotel and really convenient for sightseeing - if you're not familiar with how to operate the ticket machines I would recommend finding out before you go to buy your ticket--there are videos on youtube and the official metro site-- as we got hustled at Union Station when we were trying to work it ou!. To sum up, the Omni has so much going for it that we would not consider staying anywhere else on our next trip to Washington.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
We are grateful for your glowing review of The Omni Shoreham Hotel. We truly enjoyed reading how much you enjoyed your stay and will be happy to pass your compliments along to our associates. Thank you for taking the time to share you experience on TripAdvisor.