“Wonderful Hotel”

Ranked #67 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Madison, Wisconsin
“Wonderful Hotel”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Our family of 4 stayed at the end of August 2011. Staff was all so friendly and pleasant. We had a few minor maintenance issues and the staff responded immediately. A/C is loud as others have reported but did not bother us as we are sound sleepers. I signed up for the hotel select guest program (free) and we got free internet in the room and 2 morning beverages each day brought to the room. Kids received milk and cookies first night there which they thought was pretty cool! The hotel and grounds are beautiful - kids really enjoyed the pool. Fitness room looked good but we did not use it. Our room was huge and had a walk in closet! A bit outdated but the hotel is old and so well maintained considering that! Very convenient to the Metro and Zoo. We ate at Open City and Woodley Cafe within a couple minutes walk. We didn't think either place was superb but service was good and food was fine. I would stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 September 2011

There cannot possibly be a better hotel in DC for a family stay. My wife, daughter, and I visit frequently, and are treated like family by the mostly long-term employees. Ask for Tommy in the dining room, who is so friendly to your young ones that he makes the visit worth it all by himself. The pool and -- not kidding -- world class annuals garden (especially at tulip time) are unmatched in the city. There is a pool grill that serves Hawaiian specialties between Memorial and Labor Days, and is better than almost any country club grill. Borders on a resort feel in the summer. No reason to stay in the hot downtown with the kids when you can stay on the metro for 5 more minutes and say here for less. Edwardo runs a spotless and efficient health club. Rooms are huge. Upgrades to a larger size make you feel like you are staying with your rich cousins. Near the free zoo and metro. Huge inviting lobby your kids will love zooming through, and the other people are charmed. Makes you feel like summer in he middle of a blizzard with its decor. Tommy decorates the entire place with huge, over-the-top holiday decorations. Easy special enterance to the Marriott Wardman convention hotel, so there is no need to stay in that confusing overpriced place. The reason there are almost no complaints about people getting bad rooms is that Cristabel just keeps them all all straight.

Room Tip: Overlook the bridge on a high floor.
4 Thank chadchicago
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
We really enjoyed reading your review of The Omni Shoreham and appreciate your recognition of our staff members. It will be our pleasure to share your kind words with Eduardo, Chrstabel, and especially Tommy. Thank you for choosing the Omni Shoreham for your family's getaways and for taking the time to write such a glowing review.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

My family of 4 stayed here at the end of August 2011 for 5 days, so that we could see Washington DC. Location is excellent - right next to everything and the subway is just steps away. Many restaurants closeby. Hotel is old but renovated and well maintained. We had a large room with 2 queen beds. Rooms were very spacious but the bathroom was small and toiletries were long overdue for an update. Toilet paper, shampoo and lotions are of low quality. The original air condition units seemed to have died a long time ago and the hotel simply put a big noisy unit next to the old one. The is actually the biggest problem with the room - the noisy a/c! Had trouble hearing the TV when it was on and could not sleep properly when it switched on. Not sure why they skimped on a/c when the hotel is so beautiful. We also had a few mosquitoes in the room that bit the kids quite badly. It was hard to catch them. Otherwise we quite enjoyed the room. The buffet breakfast was a bit pricey, but excellent. Room service was vey good as well. Liked the outdoor pool. Parking was $33 per night and wi-fi was not free in the room (9.95/night), but was free in the lobby. All in all, a very pleasant stay and the staff was great, except for one of the concierge guys...who was not very friendly. I would stay here again though. We paid $89 a night on Priceline...good value I would say.

Room Tip: High floors better. Watch out for mosquitoes! Test the aiconditioner and see if you are ok with the...
2 Thank 8beaver8
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this review, 16 September 2011
We appreciate all of your feedback from your recent stay at The Omni Shoreham. We are glad you had a good stay but will share your few constructive comments with our team. Thank you for your review and we hope you will return soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I was staying in this hotel for 1 night free of charge in room 740, the Bridal Suite, to make up for a bad experience at another Omni location earlier this year. The Suite was very spacious and had a great view of the garden from the terrace. The room was very clean and nicely laid out. The TV could definitely be bigger for such a large room, but not a big deal. The bathroom was also very clean and the shower/tub area was very spacious. We definitely loved the room.

You can tell by looking at the hotel and its finishings, that the hotel is old. It is nice and grand, but the age was showing. When we went to explore the pool area, the lady snapped at my wife asking for our room number. If she needs that information so we can just walk around the pool, she could have asked nicely.

One big negative was parking - it costs $33 + tax to park here daily. We decided to go ahead and park here since our room was free of charge anyways. They told us to call down 5 minutes ahead of time when we needed our car. When we called down to get our car in the evening, there was no answer. We waited and called again 10 minutes later, no answer. We had to leave so we walked down and said we need our car immediately. Before I could even finish my sentence, the guy was telling me I should have called and I needed to wait. I didn't like his rude tone so I let him know it's his fault b/c no one was picking up the phone down there. The same thing happened AGAIN the next morning, and AGAIN he cut me off telling me I should have called ahead of time. He really pissed me off so I let him know he was being rude and didn't know what he was talking about.

Conclusion: Overall, this was a much better stay at an Omni for us. The hotel and room were very clean. But the interaction we had with the staff wasn't very good.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed at this property week of Labor Day. Room was clean, but layout of room was like a jig saw puzzle. Long hall way upon entering room that went straight into a very, very small bathroom. Small closet was located in hallway and did not have a light and had a musty order. Room service was excellent and so was the staff. Dated a/c units in room were noisy and there was no way to direct the air flow from hitting the bed.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your review of The Omni Shoreham on TripAdvisor. Due to the historic nature of our property we do have various room layouts some of which are larger than others. If you return we would be happy to work with you to make sure you are in a larger room that meets your needs.
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I recently went up to DC on business for the month of August and was booked for the duration at the Omni Shoreham. I was there during the hurricane and earthquake. I was made to feel like I was at home. Every person on the hotel staff was kind, always spoke, and offered to assist me in anyway possible. The food there was excellent, room service was fast, and the facility was in excellent condition. I had a huge room, a king-sized bed (bed bug free), and my room didn't have the old damp musty stale smell that many of the older establishments have. The area had great restaurants, and its even close to public transportation (Metro & bus). If I had to be stuck someplace for a month, I was happy it was with the Omni. I am adding Omni to my DC because its close to all of the national attractions (including the National Zoo), and its in a safe community. They are a family oriented facility and tourist from around the world stay there. It's the best!

Room Tip: If you are on vacation and somewhat mind children, ask for a room where there is likely to be less f...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
We are thrilled that our associates made you feel at home during your month at The Omni Shoreham Hotel. Thank you for leaving such a generous review and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I have passed by this hotel many times, even been to an event or two, but never stayed there until last month. Despite a hurricane, earthquake and fire, the 3 weeks I spent there on business were very nice. The staff were courteous and efficient -- especially during the evacuations. I was even allowed to bring my cats for overnight during the hurricane (but when I took them home the next day the $50.00 pet fee was reimbursed). My room was very comfortable and large enough not to get claustrophobic after 3 weeks. I had a balcony that I could squeeze out onto -- the cornice from the curtains prevented the door from opening all the way -- and take my folding chair (the kind you put over your shoulder and take to the park) to sit and read my work. Unfortunately, because of the cornice, no other chairs would fit out there and if you were much bigger than me, you probably couldn't squeeze your body out either. The service and staff went out of their way to be helpful. The lady Marie (I was on the 8th floor) who cleaned my room took great care of me, most days I wouldn't need her, but if I asked for anything, she addressed it immediately and took a couple of extra minutes to straightening up my room because she knew I would only be gone a couple of hours at most. The day I left, I had called down for a bellman, twice because my ride was downstairs, when no one showed up, I was trying to struggle my bags downstairs and a painter who worked for the hotel saw me and offered to/helped me all the way down to the car. The food was pretty good. The grounds of the hotel were absolutely beautiful. If you go out the back around the pool and the "outdoor" library you truly wouldn't know you were in the city. The spa and 24 hour fitness center were immaculate and well attended. The hotel is close to restaurants, the metro (DC's rail system), and the zoo. I would really recommend it for vacationer's and a business travelers. After all these years, the hotel remains a Grand Dame -- with out the musty/dusty attributes and tiny rooms that usually go along with really old hotels. Be sure to ask about the ghost room, and to see the presidential suite -- the one with the gold fixtures. Ohh la la

Small annoyances: The restrictive pet policy -- be sure you read it before you bring your pet -- is more tailored for dogs than other pets; the air conditioners were kind of loud; the elevators were slow and parking was very expensive As the commercial used to say.... Try it, you'll like it!!!

Room Tip: Just ask! The view's off the back side of the hotel were spectacular! The balcony on the front...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
We are delighted that you enjoyed your extended stay at The Omni Shoreham Hotel. We appreciate all of your compliments but also appreciate the few pieces of constructive feedback you provided. We are always looking for ways to enhance our service and it is observations such as yours that help us to make changes. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we hope you will think of us for any of your DC hotel needs in the future.