“Good start on our vacation”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #78 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed here for three nights. This classic hotel is situated at the outskirts of central D.C., however it is close to the metro station (red line). Taxis can get you into much of central D.C. in under 10 minutes. Although the hotel is from the 1930s, the rooms were spacious and comfortable. Our only complaint is the bathroom which was tiny! There is a pool area at the hotel, however it is very crowded. We had signed up to the Select Guest programme before our stay. This is free, and by giving your email address you qualify for free wifi, a daily newspaper and a free drink delivered to your room every morning. Also you can qualify for free nights if staying for 10 nights plus within a year. The elevators are very small and old, but this was not a problem for us staying at the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank JacobOslo
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

We are glad you stay at the Omni Shoreham was a positive kickoff for your vacation. Thank you for all of your kind words and we hope you will return soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,198)

Reviewed 10 August 2012

My husband and I just got back from our first trip to DC, and stayed at the Omni Shoreham for three nights. We absolutely loved the hotel. Check-in was a breeze, I was stunned by the enormity of the hotel from the outside, yet the intimate feel from the lobby. It was a very quick walk to the metro (although this metro station has the steepest, scariest escalator that I saw in DC, be aware!) Our room was large and airy with a nice view of the pool. We used the pool each day (the weather was extremely hot and humid and we did A LOT of walking), and it was not overly crowded despite the hotel looking pretty full. The only downfall was the elevator situation. I don’t mind taking the stairs (good workout), and our room was only on floor 2…. but I can see how this would be a problem for people with kids, or elderly, or basically anyone that stayed above floor 2! The elevators were extremely slow and only held 4-5 adults, we never had the patience to wait past the five plus minutes that it took.... and the stairs were small and windy, might be difficlt for some. Would it prevent me from staying here again? Absolutely not, we will most definitely be back, we really enjoyed our stay!!

Room Tip: go low, you may be taking the stairs!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicole L

Thank you for allowing us to be your hotel during your first visit to Washington, DC. We are glad you had a wonderful stay and also appreciate your comments regarding the elevators. Although we are glad the speed didn't detract from your stay we do understand how it could be difficult for some. The elevators are original to the hotel and have carried an impressive number of people with historic significance. If you or any of our guests ever have a concern we are happy to work with you to make sure that you are in a room that requires less reliance on the elevators for access. Thank you again for sharing on TripAdvisor and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 9 August 2012

I stayed at the Omni for three days while attending a conference at the Wardman Park Marriott. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The lobby is huge, gorgeous, opulent and breathtaking. Check in was incredibly quick and professional. My room was huge and very clean. The bed was incredibly comfortable...almost too comfortable:-) The bathroom is a bit on the small side but that wasn't a problem for me. My safe wasn't working when I arrived but one quick call to the front desk and it was taken care of in no time. There are lots of nice restaurants to eat at within a short walking distance. The Adams Morgan district is a nice stroll away and the National Zoo is less than a 10 minute walk.

I ate at both the hotel restaurant and the lounge. The service in the lounge was great and the food was tasty. I had one issue with this hotel and that was the restaurant. About half way through my lunch I noticed there was a fly in my wine...blech! So I informed the server who whisked the glass away without even asking me if I wanted another (which I didn't) however about 5 minutes later she comes back with another glass of wine which I didn't/couldn't drink. At the very least I expected the wine to be taken off the bill but it wasn't. Other than that issue, I really have no complaints about this hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Omni Shoreham on Tripadvisor. We are delighted that you had a great stay but apologize that we didn't address the issue with your wine differently. If you return, please do not hesitate to let one of our managers know if any concerns arise so that we can make sure they are addressed to your satisfaction.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

This was my first time staying at the Shoreham, but I doubt that it will be my last. It's a little further away from the main part of D.C. but the Metro is nearby so it's just a quick ride to the Capitol. The lobby is very nice as is the restaurant and the hotel bar. The room was nice, but not quite as luxurious as others that I've stayed in while in town. But the relaxed atmosphere more than makes up for it. The room was very clean and had all of the normal amenities. The bathroom was a little on the small size, but that really didn't matter much to me. The meeting rooms were nice and large and had all of the normal amenities that one would need or expect in order to hold large gatherings. We had about 100 people for a 2 day conference and it went off without a hitch. All in all, I really enjoyed my stay and highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The room that I had didn't have much of a view of any kind. My window looked down into the mech...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

We are glad your conference went without a hitch and we appreciate your glowing recommendation of the Omni Shoreham. We look forward to another opportunity to have you as our guest.

Reviewed 6 August 2012

Just come back from our 2nd trip to the Omni. Staff very helpful, courteous & friendly. We were given the same room as last trip, in the new part of the hotel by the gardens. Very peaceful grounds, you would never think you were so close to DC. Restaurants and Metro within a 5 minute walk so easy to get into Grand Union station for access to the monuments etc.

Room Tip: The old part of the hotel faces a busy road so if you want peace and quiet ask for the new part of t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for returning to the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are glad you had another great stay and we are also looking forward to your third visit!

Reviewed 5 August 2012

Had great visit here - had wonderful corner room which was HUGE - close to the tube/tram but away from the centre so lovely and quiet - very friendly informative staff - lovely walk nearby in the park

Room Tip: Our corner room was massive
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor!

Reviewed 4 August 2012

We will be back. When we arrived our kids were given a goody bag and when we returned from dinner cookies and milk had been delivered for them. Exceptional staff that is very attentive. One block to the Metro makes this a great place to stay with the family while visiting the sites.

• Stayed: August 2012

We are thrilled to hear that you plan to return to the Omni Shoreham Hotel. We are glad you had a great stay and hope you will return soon.