“Birthday weekend trip”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #80 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We took advantage of a weekend 72 hour internet deal for a “king bed” room. Although we paid an additional $35 for parking and $25 for a roll away bed for our son – it was still a great deal. The room was spotless and plenty large for the three of us. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool area looked recently upgraded. Time spent at the pool and in the hot tub made me feel like I was at an island resort. I appreciated that the hotel was near the metro (red line). That made zipping into the downtown and monument areas a breeze…yet I really appreciated not being in the center of the “touristy” downtown area. There is a nice breakfast café across the street that serves terrific coffee. This was especially appreciated after a long, early morning run.

We will be back…especially if they keep offering those great weekend deals!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Joanne F
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2012

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your birthday at the Omni Shoreham. We are thrilled that you could take advantage of our sale and loved hearing you describe our pool area as a tropical resort. Keep an eye out for sales because we would love to have you back!

Write a ReviewReviews (7,297)

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Arrived early on Saturday and the room was ready. The check in as an Omni club member was quick. Woman at reception desk (name started with a T but her name tag was obscured so I couldn't see the whole name) was very pleasant at check in and check out. Always smiling.
The pool was so nice. Bar was expensive ($7/beer) but service was excellent. Pool was chilly but everyone enjoyed it anyway, it's only 3.5 feet at its deepest.
The hot tub was very warm. Plenty of chaise lounges and tables with chairs. Need to check out towels at the fitness center desk, but they will give you as many as requested. There is a locker room there with a sauna, showers and all amenities.
The hotel is opulent. You can see that from the photos. If you are looking for new, hip and groovy, go elsewhere. It is beautiful and we loved it. Everything has been renovated but it still has the old charm. For instance, the bathroom tile was all rectangular limestone, the vanity top granite but the tub was original and deep, but perfect and clean.
There was considerable noise from the hall when patrons were outside the door, not much sound proofing, but it didn't happen often.
The garden in the back is beautiful, as is the terrace. As an Omni member, we got coffee and iced tea delivered to our room as well as a Sunday NYT.
We ate breakfast at the hotel. It is an excellent buffet (although you can order from the menu, too) but expensive at $21 plus tax and tip. Everything was top quality, made to order omelettes and belgian waffles, eggs benedict with crabmeat, meats, quality bagels and pastries (including a cheese danish that was one of the best things I've ever eaten), fresh fruit, oatmeal, gluten free options, etc.
Again, service was excellent.
There is a diner across the street, but the hotel is so lovely we decided to eat there partially for the atmosphere and convenience and we're glad we did.
If the hotel had been crowded with conventioneers we may have had a different experience, but instead we had one of our best weekend getaways ever. I wish I was still there!

Room Tip: Ask for the main building. The "parkview" rooms are completely separate motel rooms in the...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maxieboy95

We enjoyed reading that you had a wonderful weekend at the Omni Shoreham Hotel. Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor and we hope you will return soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

I just stayed twice at the Omni Shoreham during a 7-day period.
The location is convenient to the Metro and adjacent to the Rock Creek Park. The park is a pretty, peaceful area but I think I prefer a location that is more central to the many wonderful attractions in DC.
The hotel itself is very large and attracts many groups. As a result, the lobby and common areas tended to be crowded and noisy.
My room during the first stay was on a low floor and facing the street (I had asked for a high floor facing the other direction). Despite the not-so-great room assignment, the room was clean and spacious.
I preferred the room on the second stay, which was on the fifth floor facing the pool. Be aware that the pool can be very noisy and that noise carries to the room.
I think the ideal location is probably a higher floor facing the other part of the park (on the end of the hotel with the gazebo).

As a member of the Omni loyalty program, I always enjoy the morning beverage and newspaper delivery. I also expect that my key will be ready for pickup, which did occur on the first stay but not on the second. When my key wasn't ready on the second stay, I asked the front desk clerk why this happened, and she said that my credit card had an old expiration date. Yet I had just used the same credit card earlier that week, so that explanation didn't really make sense. While this isn't a huge deal, I would have expected that the hotel would have contacted me with any problems in advance since I had checked in online a few days earlier.

My overall impression was that the Omni Shoreham is a decent hotel in an "OK" area. As a very frequent traveler, I would opt for a property that is smaller, quieter, and that delivers on all of its promises to members of its loyalty program. Therefore, I will opt for a different property on my upcoming trips to DC.

Room Tip: To maximize a view and minimize noise, I would opt for a room facing the park and away from the pool...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark M

We appreciate all of your feedback and regret that we weren't the perfect fit for your travels. Please accept our apologies that we did not better execute your express check in during your second stay. All of your comments are important to us and we truly hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

4 night stay on the zoo package. Family loved it. Breakfast and parking included. We all loved the full buffet each morning. Great way for the family to share some quality time each day. Especially given that the museums do not open until 10am. Local restaurants were great and convenient. Easy access to Metro, though with a family of four, a cab ride into town was comparable in price and allowed for drop off right where you wanted to be. #1 aspect of the hotel for the kids was the pool. It was big and perfect. The entire hotel including the poolside bar offered outstanding service. I rate this based on my "Jones principle". That is, if my wing man Doug Jones would be impressed, you know it is good.

Room Tip: Sign up for the Omni loyalty program. Ability to provide your room preferences up front, online ch...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael R

We are delighted to read that we scored well against the Jones Principle! Thank you for allowing us to provide you with a great stay and we hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at the Omni because it was near a Metro stop and because it had an outdoor pool. The accommodations were nice but the hotel seemed like it was past its prime. Many of the banners in the building were showcasing prominent guests from 20 to 50 years ago.

Another very nice attribute was the proximity to a very nice running trail. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it because it was safe and scenic. I actually saw a mama deer and two fawns!

Room Tip: We requested a high floor and received a room that faced the mail . . . we could see the Washington...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Doug B

Thank you for reviewing our hotel on TripAdvisor. We do embrace the amazing history our hotel has had since 1930 and we continue to build on this history by welcoming today's dignitaries and famous faces from around the world. We are glad you enjoyed the scenic landscape of our property and we truly hope you will stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

This is an old property, but it offers lots of charm. The rooms offer lots of space in both the bedroom and the bathroom. There's a restaurant on property and several local and chain places within walking distance. It's not too far via taxi from DCA either. Friendly staff to boot.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Ashley A

We appreciate your review and hope you will return soon!

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a Podiatry conference August 15-19th. I choose this hotel instead of the one where I had the conference as I was reading the bed bug registry, I was not able to find or no reports from the Omni Shoreham. It was a 5 mins walk from my conference. We came in Wednesday evening and we stayed in Rm 157 west wing. This room looked like a physically challenged or physically disabled room as we noticed there were lots of hand rails in the bathroom and duel shower heads (hand held and stationary). Also, in the closet the bar is set very low. I wasn't able to check out the pool, but saw many guests heading there.
One thing we really liked about our room was the space given. The negative was that we were right at the front of the hotel and you can hear through the windows the taxi cab drivers or valet drivers.

PRO: Amibance of this hotel was nice and given the history of the hotel I was amazed at the number of guests coming and going. Staff was friendly and helped us in what was around the hotel and where to go in the D.C. area. Nice to have a refrigerator in our room. We ate the breakfast buffet at Roberts restaurant, a little pricey (buffet breakfast for two $42 US - we did not have coupons but our waiter did mentioned about it if we had a hotel package or some sort), but well worth it as the fruits looked amazing along with the assortment of the buffet. Also, no Bed bugs in my room!

CON: When I was trying to move the curtains, I found from the previous guest a McDonald's drink (they put it behind the curtains as if someone wanted to hide this) and a drink lid. We notified front desk and got someone to pick it up and throw it in our garbage bin.
Cleaniness was decent, could have better due to our experience.

OVERALL:If you want a hotel that is away from the city center I would recommend this hotel. It is a nice hotel, Friendly and helpful staff and subway station (Woodley Park-Adams Morgan), which was a 5 mins walk from the Omni Shoreham. To get to the city center (Metro Center) only took 10 mins.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Space_chic

Please accept our apologies for the cup left in your room. This is unacceptable and we regret that it was overlooked. We are grateful for all of your feedback both positive and constructive and we hope we will have a future opportunity to serve you.