“Family Friendly Hotel”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 21 December 2013

I didn’t travel with family, but this hotel hits the mark if you are going to bring yours. It’s close by to the zoo and the outdoor pool area has plenty of room to roam.

The property is spacious and so are the rooms (the largest room I have stayed in during my visits to DC). The front desk staff was a pleasure to interact with upon my welcome and departure.

It is nice that there is a metro stop fairly close, as I didn’t feel like I was too far away from the many activities to do elsewhere in the city.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (7,292)

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Not a long cab ride from National Airport. Many restaurants with a vast variety of cuisines around the hotel and within walking distance. Hotel has been refurbished and the rooms still could use a little more "love". The rooms were clean and quiet. Even though the rooms around me were non-smoking the people next door were smoking on the balcony and the smell came right into my room!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shirley D
Reviewed 21 December 2013

The Omni Shoreham is a historic gem in the city. It's convenient, elegant and luxurious! As soon as you set foot in the lobby you'll be transported back in time to an era far away from the frenetic pace that defines modern day life, yet the hotel has every modern amenity you could ask for. We are already looking forward to our next visit!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Omni Shoreham is an interesting hotel. It was built in 1930, which generally is code for "get ready for weird odors, strange proportions, and zero soundproofing." (Ok, I guess I should be taken by the history, the unique accents, the grandness and whatnot, but I prioritize creature comforts first.) Ultimately we had a very good stay here.

Good stuff:
* If you find the right room, this place rocks. We spent 4 nights in 697, which which extremely private, quiet and spacious.
* The staff is excellent (front desk, valet, room service.)
* The rooms were nice, considering the age. (See photos.)
* The lobby feels "alive." There were several events going on, the restaurants were busy, etc. This is a good sign considering how deep into off-season we were.
* The neighborhood was really nice and safe. We took several walks in the area.
* The price was right. Shop GHA and Omni flash sales for good last-minute prices.

Bad stuff:
* The first room we had (in the middle of the hotel) was noisy. Really noisy. If you get this sort of thing, ask to be moved, because habituation doesn't improve your mood.
* Our light in the closet of the first room randomly turned on and off when the door was closed. Google auto-complete reveals that there is some haunting mystique to this hotel (for the Ghost suite only), but our first room had the same symptom. Boo!

Overall, I'd totally stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. If you don't get it, ask again. :)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank acmorris
Reviewed 20 December 2013

on our first visit to the wonderful Capital City, my wife and I were very impressed with the Omni Shoreham. the Hotel was impressive- excellent room,lovely lobby and gardens. Very convenient for the subway to Washington and ideal location for eating out at night. The staff were very friendly. In all,the hotel offered true value for money!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ukangiec
Reviewed 20 December 2013

My stay at the hotel was of a business nature. While the staff at the hotel were very hospitable, the quality of the room had a lot to be desired. The bathroom was gross, the room drafty and not an overall good experience. The first morning, I showered with a hand towel because they left NO washcloths and had to open the window to vent the steam from showering which makes for a cold experience in December. For a hotel who once hosted the Presidential Inaugural Ball, I am truly disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts
OmniMgr, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Dear Saberina B,

I was disappointed to read about the state of your bathroom and our oversight regarding towels. There is no excuse and I'm truly sorry that we missed the mark. Please know that your comments are valuable to us and will be shared with our housekeeping and engineering teams. Your confidence in our hotel is important to us and I truly hope we will have a future opportunity to welcome you back for a stay that meets all of your expectations.

Nicole Holmes
Loyalty Manager
nholmes@omnihotels.com

Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Hotel was decorated for the Holidays and quite lovely. My favorite thing was the bed...so comfortable. The bathroom was freezing and with the marble tile, the cold temperature made it worse. So slippers are in order. Also we could very clearly hear the guest room next to us showering...a bit weird. Otherwise our stay was really nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business