“Omni is Great”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Love visiting Omni Hotels, and being a part of their Select Guest program. Always welcoming, and comfortable - do yourself a favor and stay here! I was very happy with the location as well as the room I stayed in while here.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We visited for both business and weekend fun. The staff are always pleasant and helpful. The concierge recommended a couple of cool local restaurants, as well as cheerfully provided me with some after hours printing services. We enjoyed Sunday brunch room service, which wasn't particularly spectacular, but satisfying none-the-less. The mattress and linens were the most comfortable I have enjoyed in awhile and I slept very well here. I also love the history and the architecture. The old world grand scale provided a lovely backdrop for our stay. They definitely need to update the windows, as I could feel the cold March air coming through, but a fluffy bathroom towel rolled up at the sill was a fine trick. My friend parked a car in their lot for two nights, which allowed us to walk to nearby DuPont Circle and then we pressed on in our walking shoes to Georgetown. We had a lovely time and I would return here anytime I am in town.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Of the three US hotels I visited on this trip, the Omni Shoreham was my least favourite. Unlike the other two, I'm sure the Shoreham would be classified as 'luxurious', and I could simply say that it wasn't my cup of tea (literally, see below) and leave it at that. You don't get the feeling that the proprietors and managers take pride in their hotel. For one thing, the Shoreham is somewhat overpriced as most things in DC tend to be. For these rates I would expect more hospitality. Surely you could eg afford to offer free wifi in the rooms without forcing your guests to join a loyalty programme. As a satisfied customer I should want to join because my visit was so pleasurable, not be forced to join in exchange for a very basic service. The building itself is quite nice, from the 1930s I would imagine, and central DC is easily accessible by Metro. The vast lobby and dining room look like a scene from 'The Shining'. At least some effort has been made to decorate the rather spacious rooms to honour the architecture. There are expensively framed sepia photographs of DC on the walls, the kind of prints you find in airline magazines. But once again, at these prices you could afford to support your local artists and get some original art instead. The coffee making facilities were rudimentary, and there weren't enough bags of black tea to serve both inhabitants of the room. Saving on tea bags is probably not a viable model in the hospitality business. The fan of the antiquated air conditioning unit was very noisy. But the most ridiculous feature of all was an empty space in the room nearly the size of a small student flat that for some incomprehensible reason they had decided to decorate with a huge and ugly treadmill. I'm sure they have space for a gym somewhere in this big hotel. I'm told that the conferencing facilities are good. The concierge was priceless. He loved his home town and gave tips and advice to visitors accordingly. If only the hotel proprietors and managers had even half his love for their own establishment, then things could look much better.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We arrived to a disorganized valet service and hesitantly handed our keys over. In entering our room, we found dried urine on the toilet seat. Had to call twice and walk down to the front desk to get help. We never heard from a manager, no offer to change rooms-nothing. We checked out and let them know the problem. They "fixed" the situation with free parking??The main service of a hotel is to provide a clean room! Paying for a dirty hotel room isnt rectified with free parking. Got our car from the valet-back seat was flipped down, no explanation why. Emailed management and response dropped off. Worst. Service. Ever.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Kryshanna
tkermabon, Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Kryshanna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us of the details of your stay through TripAdivsor. Please accept our apologies for the issues you experienced with the cleanliness of your guest bathroom, valet services and promptness of management to rectify the situation in a timely manner. Your feedback has been shared with the appropriate department heads for remediation.

As a well respected luxury property in the District, it is our goal to provide an exceptional experience for all of our guests. I am embarrassed to hear that we have fallen short of this standard. It is crucial for us to absorb your feedback so that we can make the appropriate corrections to strengthen our service standards.

We certainly would like to make this up to you. I ask that you contact me directly so that I can manage your next reservation to ensure you receive an appropriate and upgraded accommodation.

I look forward to speaking with you.

Brooke Romm
LID-Rooms Division

Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Omni Shoreham has many very good features - its location is good, rooms are generous and have everything one would require. Yet, it does feel very dated and is a bit tired in some areas - especially the décor. I would have rated the hotel very good had it not been for the wifi charges (which I think should come as standard) and the fact that my room was incredibly cold even with the heating on (leaky windows).

Reviewed 14 March 2014

Our room was on the 2nd floor. It is big and clean. The building itself is an antique. So sound-proof system is not that good. We could hear people talking in the hallway from the room. And I bet our kids were probably heard by half of the guests there! LOL!
The hotel is located at a convennient place for dinning and grocery shopping. The valet parking is alittle over-priced: $42; but it is very covennient and safe.
If there was a microwave in the room, it would have made our stay even better since we had a toddler, who only drinks warm milk.
Plus it is fun to know there were so many celebrities lived there! I wouldn't mind returning at all.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Hotel is beautiful, great area, close to metro, sights and restaurants. Check in was a bit of a hassle so if you are going on business make sure you have a business credit card in your name because even with a credit card authorization, it was still an issue. Be careful with the valet service because they moved our car from one spot to another for no reason and they could not tell us why they moved it. Also, don't expect timely service for the room. Never stayed in a hotel before where they want to clean your room at 6:30pm.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts