“Lovely hotel 15 mins walk from zoo”

Omni Shoreham Hotel
Ranked #79 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Lovely rooms, public areas and grounds. Good nights sleep in quiet rooms with comfy beds. We had breakfast one day,not cheap at $92 for 4 but worth it. Just a few minor niggles, blinds in bathroom difficult to lower (a bit of a problem when your bathroom overlooks the pool), lifts were very slow - could definitely do with more. Also there was a mix up with our booking, not sure if this was the fault of virgin holidays or the hotel but we didn't get our free in room beverage and newspaper on the first morning and one room only had 1 bathrobe and 1 bottle of water - despite highlighting this on day 1 + day 2 this was not resolved and we just got an apology when we raised it again on the final day. Due to the same issue with our booking we didn't get our free in room internet access but this was credited back. We also should have had an automatic late checkout which hadn't been recorded, this was honoured but would advise you check everything when checking in. The other thing to be aware of, the concierge told us there are always taxis at the front of the hotel and it would only take 15 mins to get to the centre of Washington to pick up our tour. We waited a good 10 mins for a taxi and then the journey took 25 mins due to roadworks so allow plenty of time.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank LohManchester
Write a ReviewReviews (7,191)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Hotel was clean and very quiet. Located within walking distance of a large variety of resturants. Staff was friendly and attentive to our needs. I thought the parking fee of $35.00 plus tax per night was a little excessive, but overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Highly recommmend a stay here , Hotel is older, but they have done a great job keeping it fresh. All kinds of history with this hotel, from Beatles to Clinton playing his saxaphone puts it in the iconic status.

Large, sturdy rooms with comfortable beds. Work out facility was great with plenty of machines. Got it on Priceline which made it all the better!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I´ve stayed at several different Omni Hotels over the years, but this one is something special. First of all, I must disclose that I used Priceline for my stay in DC. It was short notice and the hotels are very expensive. I really wanted to stay near Dupont Circle, so I knew I´d have ´pay to stay´, but what I was getting during my search was not justifiable (at least not from my experience). I decided to let Priceline choose my fate and when I ended up at an Omni, I immediately felt relieved as they´ve consistently proven to be a ´go to´when the boutiques are booked or more than I want to pay. But this Omni is beautiful. I loved this old hotel. I love how they´ve kept everything to its ´period´, all the way down to keeping the original door knobs! I loved this place and I hope that I´ll be able to stay there again in the future. The location is great too, walking distance to the subway and some cute restaurant……very happy I ended up here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have waited months before writing this review. I think now it's time. My family and I stayed here for 4 days in April 2014 for our daughter's spring break. After seeing the hotel online we decided to book as the location was perfect for what we wanted to see and do. Everything seems ok and the hotel lobby was beautiful, but once check in came issues started. We are not that fussy so we let that go and carried on with our vacation. On day 2 we decided to order room service. My order was Chicken Quesadilla from the children's menu as nothing on the adult menu struck me. Once our orders arrived, we dug in as I had no reason to check my food. After the first bite I smelled what seem to be shrimp and I said to my husband this does not taste like chicken. It was then I inspected my food only to see Shrimp quesadilla looking back at me. I am DEATHLY ALLERGIC TO SHELL FISH. At that moment I ran to the bathroom and spit everything out, but it was too late I had already swallowed. My husband and daughter then took necessary actions. My husband contacted the in room dining and told them what happened. Their explanation to him, is they had no idea what happened as chicken quesadilla was put in as the order and they have no idea who shrimp was sent. At this point my husband decided that we have to get to the hospital. Thank god for my motherinlaw as she watched our daughter as my husband rushed me to the hospital no thanks to the hotel. One our way there my throat began to itch more and swell. The doctor that saw me even stated that as my Uvula was rather large. Treatment of steroids was given to me of which I had to take an intense dose for the rest of the week. The manager on staff at the time basically brushed my husband off once we returned and told him they are not equipped to handle such an emergency. No follow up call was made by the manager to check on my well being. At that point my husband was not too worried about that as my safety and life was more important to him. I did however got a call from in room dining to see if I was ok. The next day I sought out the manager on staff to let her know what had happened. She of course was shocked at what had transpired. After we had a discussion she decided to comp us for 2 nights stay. Once we got back home, I decided to send a certified letter with return signature to the President of Omni Hotels & Resorts Michael J. Deitemeyer. Lets just say I am still waiting on a response from him. I even went as far as filling out and online form, online to be contacted by in room dining basically telling me, we comp you 2 nights what else are you looking for. Omni Shoreham took no responsibility for their actions that almost cost me my life. It was swept under the rug and my family and I got brushed aside as though my life did not matter one bit to them. I guess I am not a dignitary as was pointed out to me by one of the front desk staff. OMNI SHOREHAM SHOULD BE ASHAMED.

I am grateful to Ms. Burroughs for what she did and the staff at Georgetown University Hospital for taking care of me. Most of all I am forever grateful to my husband and our daughter for their heroics that saved my life. You guys are my hero.

As for the hotel, the grounds were nice, lobby was nice and it is in a great location for sight seeing and also for eating. Basically you leave the lobby go through the front doors, make a right and walk out to the street and you are in food heaven. The room was basic, but clearly it is an old hotel and new windows and such is needed. The temperature dropped one night of our stay and lets just say the draft of cold coming through the window panes was so overwhelming that we shivered a bit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kary84
Amanda B, Front Office Manager at Omni Shoreham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Kary84-

I would like to express my deepest concern for the allergic reaction you experienced in April. The Omni Shoreham cares about our guests’ safety. It has to be our number one priority.

As soon as this situation was brought to our attention, we investigated this with our food and beverage team. Our Director of Food and Beverage reached out to you on April 23rd but she did not receive a response.

If there is anything we can do to further assist you with this matter, please contact me privately at aburroughs@omnihotels.com.

Amanda Burroughs
Director, Front Office Operations
Omni Shoreham Hotel

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel is a marvelous place to stay in DC. The front staff were extremely friendly, the bell-staff rapid in their response, and the rooms were very clean. I spend about 50-60 nights per year in hotels and rate the Omni Shoreham as one of the finest in DC.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 June 2014

The Omni Shoreham is in a great location near the Metro, restaurants, and a decent neighborhood. The rooms are quiet and they have a well equipped fitness center. This hotel makes an excellent home base from which to explore the nations capitol.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family